Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson J200 back I 1994

Daniel B

On 4/26/2024 at 5:44 AM, Daniel B said:

I have bought a second hand Gibson j200, made and signed I  1994? Any explanations about its 3 plate beautiful back !! Thanks !! Daniel B 

Do you have pictures?

Gibson has, on occasion, produced J200s with a D35-esue three-piece maple back.   1994 was, of course, Gibson's Centennial so they were releasing all kinds of limited runs in addition to their stock offerings.  While Limited Editions would have come with a certificate, others such as the standard run '94 J100 my wife once owned sported a Anniversary label.  A photo of the inscription and the label would go a long way to solving any mysteries.

Edited by zombywoof

1 hour ago, zombywoof said:

Gibson has, on occasion, produced J200s with a D35-esue three-piece maple back.   1994 was, of course, Gibson's Centennial so they were releasing all kinds of limited runs in addition to their stock offerings.  While Limited Editions would have come with a certificate, others such as the standard run '94 J100 my wife once owned sported a Anniversary label.  A photo of the inscription and the label would go a long way to solving any mysteries.

Yes. Top center will have either a blank area meaning standard 1994 Run  or Limited Run.  And if it went through the Custom shop , it will have Custom    

I dont remember the three piece back other than on the Monarch