Gibson Brands Forums

Any chance a 2017 Gibson j-45 Standard could be Rosewood?

Posted (edited)

Could one of our walking guitar encyclopedias help me out?  

There is a 2017 Standard J-45  that I really liked.  The sales guy thought it was rosewood, but it has a regular, white label, and no “special” badging or finishing.  It’s definitely not the slimmer Studio version.  

So I put it back since I really want mahogany.   We have plenty of RW already.  I was thinking maybe I just liked it so much because it sounded “familiar.”  Still, I really thought I was hearing the hog thumpiness.  

The finish on b/s is really dark so can you barely see the grain but I think where you can see through there are mahogany notes in the grain.  I thought inside it looked like hog, but I’m not as confident tagging unfinished wood.  Thing is, if I squinted right I could maybe see straighter RW-type grain in it.  But the lighting was store “artsy” so it could have been a trick of the halogens.  

I came home and dug around on reverb, etc., and can’t find any hits  for a Standard J-45 rosewood in 2017.  There were some earlier standard rosewoods, but they all looked like they should have been badged custom/specials with orange labels.

Anyone know if the guy was just blowing smoke, and really is just good old, regular Plain Jane Standard?  The price is in line for a used regular one, so it’s not like it’s being up-charged or anything. I’m just kinda hoping the guy didn’t really know what he was talking about.  

Help push me off the wagon?  

Edited by PrairieDog

Posted (edited)

Dave as always, you are the hero.  I was sure/hoping you would be the font of all knowledge. Thank you.   Yes, as I suspected, the “rosewoods” both have upgrades this one doesn’t have.  I got plain dots and a white label.  Cool!  Looks like I’m heading back across the cities.  Glad I asked.  

PD steps up to leap off the wagon…

Edited by PrairieDog

Posted (edited)

Depending on how & where on the log it was cut, mahogany can take on some interesting grain patterns. Gibson has done some in quilt mahogany, also.

If all of your other photos you’ve  put up to the forum were from imgur, then you should have enough room to upload a pic directly from your phone into the body of a forum post. Someone should be able to chime in fairly quickly, most likely while you’re still in the guitar shop.

happy hunting

Edited by 62burst
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, slimt said:

J45 gibson have had  every type of woods on the back sides and top.    

Right.. I wouldn’t discount one with Rosewood.. The ones I’ve heard sound really good.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, slimt said:

J45 gibson have had  every type of woods on the back sides and top.    

7 hours ago, Larsongs said:

Right.. I wouldn’t discount one with Rosewood.. The ones I’ve heard sound really good.

Yeah, the hundreds of different builds was why I was asking. I wanted to make sure there weren’t spoilers out there.  This one was labeled “Standard” which up to that moment of doubt, I assumed always meant the original sitka/mahogany aka “standard.”  Dave confirmed that other builds, at least in 2017, would have different details like fancier fret markers or orange labels.   

Nod, the sound of rosewood is terrific. I just already have a great sounding RW 12-fret parlor and RW dreadnaught from the company that shall not be named 😎

So I’m looking for a mahogany j-45 to go with the L1 adi/hog parlor.  (Wish I could pop for one of the customs with an adi top to make it a true match, but that won’t happen with my thin wallet.)  

Edited by PrairieDog

59 minutes ago, PrairieDog said:

Yeah, the hundreds of different builds was why I was asking. I wanted to make sure there weren’t spoilers out there.  This one was labeled “Standard” which up to that moment of doubt, I assumed always meant the original sitka/mahogany aka “standard.”  Dave confirmed that other builds, at least in 2017, would have different details like fancier fret markers or orange labels.   

Nod, the sound of rosewood is terrific. I just already have a great sounding RW 12-fret parlor and RW dreadnaught from the company that shall not be named 😎

So I’m looking for a mahogany j-45 to go with the L1 adi/hog parlor.  (Wish I could pop for one of the customs with an adi top to make it a true match, but that won’t happen with my thin wallet.)  

It is great to have both for sure.. Best of both Worlds!

• Thanks 1

If you are not sure if it is rose wood or mahogany, the rose wood will be noticeably heaver.  It will also be reflected in the model number if you have access to it. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, chasAK said:

If you are not sure if it is rose wood or mahogany, the rose wood will be noticeably heaver.  It will also be reflected in the model number if you have access to it. 

Thanks for the tip! Unfortunately this fish got away, but this info will be helpful for future casts.  

23 minutes ago, Dave F said:

I'm sure they can get that mahogany pretty dark. Look at this burst on a mahogany top L00.

52647122511_79f9441208_z.jpg

Yeah, the back of my question mark one was so dark you could barely make out the grain… I think the vertical bits of the grain didn’t take the stain quite as strongly, so they showed through and were more visible than what I call the hog swirls.  so that made me second guess and entertain what the sales dude was saying, even though RW didn’t seem right given the badging and other plain finish details.  I’m bummed I couldn’t get away soon enough after you reassured me it would be hog.  Dang company that keeps us in kibble and guitars needs attention sometimes. 

I like having a variety of tone woods for similar guitars to play around with until I decide which ones I like. In the J-style I currently have a few (and went through many to get to this group) and I am thinking about moving a couple. 

'42 SJ Banner (2020) Rosewood back and sides, aged spruce top - this one is staying. This is the fifth J body rosewood model. Definitely glad I got to this one.

'52 J45 (vintage) - sounds good, plays good, decent shape, birth year. Action is low but so is the saddle. I'm debating on a neck reset or selling it. I just haven't bonded with it.

'68 J50 - this was a basket case when I got it. It was cheap enough for me to try some repairs on it. I think it came out pretty good and I put a nice pickup on it. I'll probably move it.

'17 J160e - haven't had long enough

'24 J45 Custom Ebony - really impressed with this one so far. It's got me thinking about getting rid of the '52 and '68

For me, the fun is in the hunt.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Dave F said:

I like having a variety of tone woods for similar guitars to play around with until I decide which ones I like. In the J-style I currently have a few (and went through many to get to this group) and I am thinking about moving a couple. 

'42 SJ Banner (2020) Rosewood back and sides, aged spruce top - this one is staying. This is the fifth J body rosewood model. Definitely glad I got to this one.

'52 J45 (vintage) - sounds good, plays good, decent shape, birth year. Action is low but so is the saddle. I'm debating on a neck reset or selling it. I just haven't bonded with it.

'68 J50 - this was a basket case when I got it. It was cheap enough for me to try some repairs on it. I think it came out pretty good and I put a nice pickup on it. I'll probably move it.

'24 J45 Custom Ebony - really impressed with this one so far. It's got me thinking about getting rid of the '52 and '68

Nod, hunting is the best, and I’m totally bit by the “wood-tic”.  While we are nowhere near your magnificent suite, it’s been fun filling in  “slots” with different sounds from woods/sizes/ages/makers etc.  So far we’ve managed to forestall getting into the whole variations in same models, like you have, but I’m sure that’s somewhere in the future.  🙂 I didn’t think tones/builds would really make that much difference in my playing, but I do find I just naturally play different styles with different guitars.  The little plucky but beefy antique L1 pulls me towards blues, the DIF takes me into folky/singer songwriter stuff, then the Sinker Redwood/RW has me channeling my inner Montoya… I haven’t played Spanish since I was a kid in the last century,  but it just falls out of my fingers with the deep smoky woody tone on that guitar.  

Edited by PrairieDog

On 5/17/2024 at 9:56 PM, Dave F said:

😄 Ha! And well don’t hunts take us into wild places… I was at GC yesterday trying out yet again the mouldering 2023 J-45 that’s been hanging around there, resigned to just buying it. It wasn’t really “bad,” I just was hoping for something with a little more age on it.  

So there in the case next to it, was an Original Hummingbird.  I figured why not try it just to compare and got my head completely turned around.  I hadn’t even considered ‘Birds, they were just off my radar.  I forgot they were Sitka/hog too.  

We spent an hour dueling the J-45 and the ‘bird back and forth. It just kept getting better.  But I couldn’t justify popping a grand more. And now the long sought 45 was sounding kinda pinched and muddy in comparison. My J-45 lust kinda sputtered out right there. (Tbh, I was never in love with that particular one. I literally was just going to settle to sooth the itch because I kept missing the really good older ones. I just hoped it would eventually open up too.)  

Now with fresh GAS running the show, I started rummaging about for Hummingbirds to see if any were in reach, and 18 hours later, I’m waiting on a 2020 Original coming from NC.  

Between the used price, and 10% off used gear and double rewards this weekend, it netted out less than the J-45, or any bird comps out in wild.   So, in this case I figured it was worth the shipping gamble.  Fingers crossed it checks out when it gets here.  At least I can return it here if it’s got issues.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 62burst said:

Congrats on the incoming 'Bird. Looking forward to seeing it, and hopefully even hearing it once it touches down.

Thanks! Yeah, I just put up an apology on my other long exchange questioning why I couldn’t find a decent 45 anywhere nearby 😄 Pics for sure, sounds are still coming in baby steps… I am still trying to figure out our recording set up.