Gibson Brands Forums

Bad paintjob or wood related?

Hi everyone

I just got a new Gibson Tribute Satin Honeyburst... well, the Top looks interesting, what do you think? Is it just a wood thing, that causes the bright spots and irregularities, or is it not painted well?

tzLZCky.jpeg

GSflXvl.jpeg

GpTNg1E.jpeg

d8vhHPV.jpeg

Greetz

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I see no paint on there. Maybe light stain and of course everyone’s favorite petrochemical, nitrocellulose lacquer. Maybe the guy scorched the wood sanding it. Rookie first year woodshop mistake.

That or it’s just how the wood is?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Thanks for the replies!

I definetly has character, I would find it between 100 others.

It was the last Tribute I could buy new in germany, as they are discontinued. So I will have to keep it. I prefer it over the studio, as I dont like the thick glossy finish and dig the maple neck.

This one plays and sounds excellent at 3.4 kilos.

I think it s a shame, that the normal studios and tributes are no longer available and entry prices are through the roof...

Yup.. Its the wood.. It has the slightest bit of figuring. So like when you see a flamed top, the reason you see the lines is that the lighter and darker areas take and stain and finish differently (I think the lighter areas are softer). Also where you have a knot in the wood it will also have some natural staining called  inclusions where there was a limb growing or something like that.

And yes, its lovely. Its both the best and worst thing about wood that EVERY piece is slightly different.  Its also why each guitar sounds slightly different even if its made from the same tree. Each piece has random hard spots which makes each piece vibrate differently. Even though those difference are usually very slight.

3 minutes ago, Pinch said:

They used to be, then I came on here 😉

Man.. When I first came on this forum I didnt even know what intonation was.. Like, really....  All I knew is that my guitar did what it was meant to do and for a good decade or so that was enough..  Its funny though, the more you know the more you realise how little you know 😄

48 minutes ago, Rabs said:

Man.. When I first came on this forum I didnt even know what intonation was.. Like, really....  All I knew is that my guitar did what it was meant to do and for a good decade or so that was enough..  Its funny though, the more you know the more you realise how little you know 😄

Same here...

It s a curse, the internet offers you plenty of really good information, but sometimes I think too much information is not good and people would be happier without it.

Regarding the guitar, I really appreciate the looks now.

I like the Pickups but I have the itch to try out a sd 59 in neck and jb in the bridge, has someone tried this combo in a tribute?

Greetz and many thanks for your replies

😅 somehow it s bugged and I cant delete the smilie.

Anyway, depending on the light it looks crazy, hard to catch on camera,

I try, when I have a bit more time.

TrAqEur.jpeg

gu6QRKf.jpeg

Installed the JB/59 combo yesterday, it kicks serious *** in the Tribute.

Went with all white uncovered versions, looks delicious with the honeyburst.

Greetz

9 hours ago, Turbojupp said:

VL3Wbqd.jpeg

Also one other piece of advice for you.. When not using the guitar its always best to keep the pickup selector switch in the middle position.  They have leaf springs which can get loose after a while if kept in the same position.

One other REALLY important bit of advice.. I noticed in the top pictures you have it on a stand. BIG WARNING.. The foam on stands will have a chemical reaction with the nitro finish.. Take it off there straight away. You can cover the foam with a sock or whatever fabric and it will be ok. But it will burn the finish if you keep it on the stand. I did it to my tribute on the back. Its not pretty.

You can see it here. I did the legs but for some reason forgot where it rests on the back of the guitar even though I know better

dHK2JY7.jpg

XPShddQ.jpg?1

Edited by Rabs
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rabs said:

Also one other piece of advice for you.. When not using the guitar its always best to keep the pickup selector switch in the middle position.  They have leaf springs which can get loose after a while if kept in the same position.

One other REALLY important bit of advice.. I noticed in the top pictures you have it on a stand. BIG WARNING.. The foam on stands will have a chemical reaction with the nitro finish.. Take it off there straight away. You can cover the foam with a sock or whatever fabric and it will be ok. But it will burn the finish if you keep it on the stand. I did it to my tribute on the back. Its not pretty.

You can see it here. I did the legs but for some reason forgot where it rests on the back of the guitar even though I know better

dHK2JY7.jpg

XPShddQ.jpg?1

Ooh, bummer on the stand rash.   But thanks for this post.  Always an unexpected tip here! I didn’t know about the switches, so I just yelled to check the three hollow bodies are all centered, and none of them were! 😁They all are now.  And re the foam, yep, but supposedly the Hercules ones are nitro safe, and so far (fingers crossed) they are working fine.  but we did have a hiccup with the Taylor mini of all things.  That one has a matte finish, and it did get a little stand burn, but it buffed right out.  The finish on it in general looks a bit off, so it may be a fault in the guitar not the stand.  Somebody might have cleaned it with the wrong stuff in a previous location.  Now the place it sits in the stand is covered with dark cotton socks… So classy 😆

Edited by PrairieDog
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the info!

You had me thinking about the switch - man you are absolutely right, never thought about it, despite knowing how they work.  Let em relax in the middle.

Also just went and centered all my guitars with these switches prairiedog🤣 

True love hehe

I m aware of the problem with the stands and usually keep my nitros away from them. Did not think it would be that bad and also never thought about the part that supports the back. 

You never stop to learn

Edited by Turbojupp
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, PrairieDog said:

Ooh, bummer on the stand rash.   But thanks for this post.  Always an unexpected tip here! I didn’t know about the switches, so I just yelled to check the three hollow bodies are all centered, and none of them were! 😁They all are now.  And re the foam, yep, but supposedly the Hercules ones are nitro safe, and so far (fingers crossed) they are working fine.  but we did have a hiccup with the Taylor mini of all things.  That one has a matte finish, and it did get a little stand burn, but it buffed right out.  The finish on it in general looks a bit off, so it may be a fault in the guitar not the stand.  Somebody might have cleaned it with the wrong stuff in a previous location.  Now the place it sits in the stand is covered with dark cotton socks… So classy 😆

Well its not essential.. You can just bend it inwards a bit with your finger if it gets loose..  Just good practice as such  👍

• Like 1