Gibson Brands Forums

How has your music taste changed

Steven Tari

I started out likeing Bubble Gum Like the Archies- Suger Suger. Went to The Momma's and the Poppas. THEN TO HARD ROCK ,ALICE COPPER, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Uriah Heap,And Black Oak Arkansas. Now I like God Smack, Metallica, And Marilan Manson.

I started out likeing Bubble Gum Like the Archies- Suger Suger. Went to The Momma's and the Poppas. THEN TO HARD ROCK ' date='ALICE COPPER, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Uriah Heap,And Black Oak Arkansas. Now I like God Smack, Metallica, And Marilan Manson.[/quote']

**** lets see. Haha well when I first got into electric guitar I loved AC/DC and Ozzy and those types of bands. THen I got into 80's hair rock bands or whatever they are called. Then I got into Metallica. Man, I modded the hell outa my LP just to be more like mettallica haha. Now I'm into Velvet Revolver, Joe Satriani, Stone Temple Pilots, and Rush. Those are like the only 4 bands I listen 2 haha

My taste evolved over the years. it all started when my mother gave me and my brother a hand me down, portable record player along with a stack of her old records. Leon Russell, Beatles first two albums, Cadilacs, the Doors, Cat Stevens, and my Dad threw in Led Zeppelin IV, Cream "Goodbye", BTO and some heavy stuff. As I grew I discovered some classics on my own, like Skynyrd, Aerosmith, Deep Purple, and of course ZZ Top. By 7th grade I was a Calssic Rock historian, and began to discover metal. Ozzy, Sabbath, Maiden, Queensrych (The Warning, before Operation Mindcrime.).

But in the middle of all that Hard Rock and Metal was one cassette that was getting played more and more all the time. Stevie Ray Vaughan "Couldn't Stand The Weather". My like for that Tape quickly grew into a Love of the Blues. In highschool I was searching music store all over southern california for T-Bone Walker, Willie Dixon, Blind Willie MacTell, or anything Blue I could get my hands on. Of course I had a lot of the Aligator recordings, like Albert Collins and Lonnie Mack.

That was me until I was out of High School for a few Years, All Classic Rock, Metal, and Blues. I never gave up any for the other. Then one day in 1994 someone said to me, "Hey, we're going to see the Gateful Dead in Vegas, you wanna go?" I said sure and for the next 5 years I was into Jam music. Mostly the Dead and Little Feat but also the Local scene, as well. Lotsa Gatherings and Music Festivals.

the last Ten years have been building on those blocks while listening to Swing and calssical music on occasion, to clear my head of all the Guitars I've heard over the years.

I cut my guitar teeth learning the music if Kiss, Clapton, Nugent, Zeppelin, and Frampton. At an early age I discovered Al DiMeola thus began my love for Jazz fusion. I also began trying to learn the riffs off of Steely Dan albums and Terry Kath of Chicago.

Now, while I still love that old rock-n-roll, I find myself listening and trying to lift some chops of guys like Jeff Golub, Larry Carlton and even Wes Montgomery and Joe Pass.

I don't think I've heard any recent rock guitarest that have made me say "Wow, I've got to learn that lick." At least not since Satriani and Surfing came out like what 20 years ago?

I don't know that it's changed as much as it's expanded. I still like to listen to a lot of the stuff I've been into my entire life but I'm also now into a lot of other artists and styles that I wasn't. Overall, I'd say that my tastes have mellowed a bit though; I don't listen to bands like Slayer nearly as much as I used to 20 some years ago but I still get into it now and then.

Hasn't really changed much for me...I grew up listening to Guns N' Roses, Motley Crue, Marilyn Manson, Aerosmith, Ozzy, Black Sabbath, Morbid Angel, Pantera, Slayer, Metallica, Skid Row, and Led Zeppelin....Most of the music that the majority of people in my age range never did anything for me...There were a few more recent bands I liked such as Mushroomhead, The Union Underground, Coal Chamber, Lamb of God, Black Label Society, SIXX AM, and Velvet Revolver (two of those bands don't exist anymore and the other 3 have guys that have been around since the early to late 80's so that's a little different in my opinion)...But to sum it up I still like classic rock and metal.

I've listened to everything from The Ataris to ZZ Top. I've never found the point in limiting myself to a genre. It's like this: you don't judge a guitar by the name it has on the headstock, you judge it by the sound it makes, right? Well, I don't see why you shouldn't apply this to music on the whole. If it sounds good, puts your head and foot into a bouncing beat, and makes you wish you could sing along then there's nothing wrong with it. The first three CDs I ever bought were Green Day's Insomniac, Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here, and Eminem's Marshall Mathers LP. The last three CDs I bought were Black Keys' Magic Potion, Okkervil River's The Stand Ins, and a Jimi Hendrix two-disc set (Voodoo Child). I guess I have a pretty diverse palette.

My tastes have definitely changed over the years. I started out liking a lot of heavy metal, Metallica, Megadeath, etc. But then I started to play around on guitar. My tastes began to flow toward AC/DC, Van Halen, etc. Basically music that was blues based to some degree.

A year ago I got really serious about playing guitar. As I get more involved and become a better guitarist I find that I go deeper into the Blues and have been stepping over into Jazz. I still love blues based Rock and Roll, but I'm drawn to the pure Blues and Jazz styles.

I put my son to bed at 8 pm and spend hours playing these two styles.

My first music memories are of my maternal Grandfather who would sing/chant the songs of Native Americans as he bounced me to sleep on his knee. He learned the songs from Plains Indians he had befriended while he was a gandy-dancer for the railroad. My Brother and I stayed with our Grandparents while Mom worked and Dad fought in Korea. I'm not sure that Grampa knew what he was "singing" but the sounds stayed with me forever. I still enjoy listening to American Indian music. Black Lodge Singers are among my favorites.

When Dad returned from Korea I started hearing different music. Martial music, classical and opera and, eventually, Pop...most notably a very young Harry Belafonte, who was quite an influence on my early musical tastes. The high opera and heavy classical stuff never really took with me. I enjoy listening to some once in awhile but I don't have much in my collection. Got a few interpretations of John Phillip Souza's works, though.

We moved to Panama for a few years and the only radio there was the Armed Forces network which was several months behind what was being played in the States...and was heavily edited for military-family audiences. Trust me, in the 50's the military regarded the new Rock and Roll phenomenon as a threat to the establishment. (go figger) So there wasn't much of what would be called Rock on the air at that time. A little Elvis, Ricky Nelson, Pat Boone...and all more Pop than Rock. But I was exposed to the music of the Panamanians, too, and that was a wonderful experience for an 8 year old kid who loved music, trust me. I really enjoyed their carnivals and the great street bands with their Latin flavors. You can't stand still when you listen to their music.

When we returned to the States I got bit by the Rock bug and left virtually all other genre behind...except for in church on Sundays...I was still "the Colonel's son". And for the rest of my life it's been pretty much Rock and Blues. It's what I played while I was gigging in the 60's and 70's, it's the main focus of my album/cd collection, and it's what I go to when I'm happy, sad, pissed or bored.

I don't think I'm through experiencing new kinds of music, although I think my favorites are pretty much set by this time.

Great thread topic. :-s

The Union Underground

I was starting to think that nobody else ever heard of those guys. The first time I heard them was when they played he second stage at Ozzfest and they just SMOKED. Easily one of the best bands that played that day and I became an instant fan. Too bad their singer went on some whacked out ego trip or something and they fell apart.

The first concert I ever saw was Chuck Berry. That might be one of my earliest memories. My parents took me to a concert he was playing at Point State Park in Pittsburgh one summer. I was 3 or 4 years old. A couple years later Mtv started, and I got my first taste of metal. -Quiet Riot's 'Bang Your Head'. I bought that single and played it on my record player repeatedly. I took it to school for show and tell, and my mom got a phone call from my teacher telling her I brought 'Devil music' to school. That resulted in my dad breaking the record and telling me that I couldn't listen to that stuff any more. Well that was it. I was convinced that metal was the best. Because of the ban on metal in my house, I had to pursue other things. -I heard Beastie Boys 'License to Ill' from this older dude in my neighborhood. I dug 'No Sleep 'Till Brooklyn' and 'Fight For Your Right To Party'. I didn't know it then but that was Kerry King playing leads on those tracks...

I think that the record that was the turning point in my life was Metallica's 'Master of Puppets'. My cousin played it for me. I had never heard anything like it. For me, everything streams from that. I wouldn't play guitar, or be in a band, or any of that stuff without '...Puppets'. So I became even more obsessed with metal. I got into all the usual metal bands (Slayer, 'Maiden, 'Priest, Megadeth...etc.). Metallica got me into the Misfits, and Motorhead, and then to punk, and that got me into hardcore, that got me into Indie, then to Post Rock. Metallica also got me into Black Sabbath, which got me into Cream and Blue Cheer, and then into Blues, and got me into Jazz, that got me into Jazz Fusion, then to Prog Rock, and then to Psychedelic stuff.

The cool thing about music is it's kind of this never ending journey. Metal is still my favorite, but since I'm a little older, I appreciate a lot more.

I don't know that it's changed as much as it's expanded. I still like to listen to a lot of the stuff I've been into my entire life but I'm also now into a lot of other artists and styles that I wasn't. Overall' date=' I'd say that my tastes have mellowed a bit though; I don't listen to bands like Slayer nearly as much as I used to 20 some years ago but I still get into it now and then.

[/quote']

Same exact thing.

I'd say the catalyst for me getting into a lot of other stuff was the Blues.

It hasn't really, that much. I like/love a lot of different styles, of music (except "cRAP"). I go back and forth,

between Genre's, where I will listen to one particular thing, for a while, but really, I just love music.

Now, "Playing" music, I seem to stick to "Classic Rock" (mostly original "British Invasion" era), Blues Rock,

and Blues.

CB

I'm old. I've been listening to music since the early 50's. My earliest musical memories are of the Texaco Star Opera on Saturday mornings and a lot of Mills Brothers and Nat King Cole. There also was Country music on the radio. We started to get some good rock 'n roll before the black prejudice kicked in and we got Pat Boone singing "Long Tall Sally". That gave me a pretty bad impression of rock. Then along came surf music and the advent of "garage bands". Then the Beatles. Things really changed then.

I've not been one to be too critical of new music. I vowed that I would never say "Do you call that music?" and I think I have succeeded. I lived through Disco, a big test, punk, various hard rocks and I( can say I don't hate rap, it after all is just what rock was. A loud expression of life as a youth. I think my attitude has help keep my thinking fresh and open.

Hasn't really changed much for me...I grew up listening to Guns N' Roses' date=' Motley Crue, Marilyn Manson, Aerosmith, Ozzy, Black Sabbath, Morbid Angel, Pantera, Slayer, Metallica, Skid Row, and Led Zeppelin....Most of the music that the majority of people in my age range never did anything for me...There were a few more recent bands I liked such as Mushroomhead, The Union Underground, Coal Chamber, Lamb of God, Black Label Society, SIXX AM, and Velvet Revolver (two of those bands don't exist anymore and the other 3 have guys that have been around since the early to late 80's so that's a little different in my opinion)...But to sum it up I still like classic rock and metal.[/quote']

What about Mudvayne, from little ole Peoria Illinois?

It hasn't really' date=' that much. I like/love a lot of different styles, of music (except "cRAP"). I go back and forth,

between Genre's, where I will listen to one particular thing, for a while, but really, I just love music.

Now, "Playing" music, I seem to stick to "Classic Rock" (mostly original "British Invasion" era), Blues Rock,

and Blues.

CB[/quote']

I'm kinda with you, CB!

I think it was the Classic Rock that first drew me into rock music from the country that my mom listened to.

But I enjoy everything from classic country (Waylon & Willie & the boys) to classic rock to *some* modern stuff. On top of that, I love classical music like Mozart, Chopin, and Debussy. As long as it's played well, I'm into it!

I got into Meat loaf n Jim Steignman 'I still like the Bad for Good album' before i was 10 then

Iron Maiden,

Motorhead,

Ac Dc,

Alice Cooper,

Ozzy n Sabbath,

Metallica,

Anthrax,

Hendrix,

Doors,

Slayer,

Sepultura,

yngwie malmsteen,

Dio, Rainbow,

Yes,

Cocteau twins,

ozric tentacles,

lee scratch perry,

jungle techno,

drum n bass,

Breakdance Electro, & Rap

gabba techno 'not the cheesy cr*p'',

Bach,

Beethoven,

Greig,

Basically I love music and theres plenty of it to suit my mood. Prefer the faster music most of the time, it gets the blood flowing.

Classic rock was just rock & roll when I was coming up...I liked it then and I still do. I have become a big blues fan over the years and I have really learned to appreciate and enjoy Bluegrass as well. I was surrounded by a lot of country music as I grew up south of Houston and I liked some of it...I have learned to dislike country music as I've matured...=D>

I'm kinda with you' date=' CB!

I think it was the Classic Rock that first drew me into rock music from the country that my mom listened to.

But I enjoy everything from classic country (Waylon & Willie & the boys) to classic rock to *some* modern stuff. On top of that, I love classical music like Mozart, Chopin, and Debussy. As long as it's played well, I'm into it![/quote']

Yeah, I like "Classical" (even Opera), Jazz, "Sountracks," quite often...just a bit of everything, really. But...I just haven't been able to warm up to "Rap," at all...I must admit.

CB

Archived