Gibson Brands Forums

How has your music taste changed

Steven Tari

I was starting to think that nobody else ever heard of those guys. The first time I heard them was when they played he second stage at Ozzfest and they just SMOKED. Easily one of the best bands that played that day and I became an instant fan. Too bad their singer went on some whacked out ego trip or something and they fell apart.

I know...it sucks because they were great live...and the one record they put out was really good.

What about Mudvayne' date=' from little ole Peoria Illinois?[/quote']

What about them ?

I've always loved the Beatles and Motown. When I was a small child I thought the only music was the Beatles and Motown.

Then as I got older I got into The Clash, then David Bowie, Queen, Sabbath, The Talking Heads, Elvis Costello, and SO many more.

Nowadays I still love Motown and the Beatles more than anything but I'm aware other music exists.

It's branched as I have grown. I went through the Kiss faze when I was younger, but in high school, I listened to Zeppelin, Aerosmith, Jeff Beck, and Johnny WInter. I owned a few jazz and blues albums, but didn't get into that until I got older. Now I listen to everything from John Coltrane to Deftones. Otis Spann to Nine Inch Nails

I have really learned to appreciate and enjoy Bluegrass as well.

We went to a place in Asheville, NC last year called "The Fiddlin' Pig." It's a BBQ restaurant (great food, btw) with live bluegrass music every night (I think). It was amazing! That is the kind of music I grew up on, but never started to appreciate until recently. Allison Krauss made me change my mind, though. =P~

Classic rock was just rock & roll when I was coming up...I liked it then and I still do. I have become a big blues fan over the years and I have really learned to appreciate and enjoy Bluegrass as well. I was surrounded by a lot of country music as I grew up south of Houston and I liked some of it...I have learned to dislike country music as I've matured...[-X

That's me. I was playing Foghat, ZZ, Skynyrd, when it was NEW.

But I've really gotten into Bluegrass lately because of the sheer talent for the shred. Bluegrass pickers will kick your a$$ if you're not ready.

I still make money playing Classic Rock, Blues, Country, and Motown in the bars, but when I want to be "impressed" by a picker, it's gonna be a bluegrass picker.

Just sayin'.

Murph.

But I've really gotten into Bluegrass lately because of the sheer talent for the shred. Bluegrass pickers will kick your a$$ if you're not ready.

Sooo true! We have seen a few bluegrass players and our son is always giving the "sign of rock" to the guitarists and fiddle players! I'm just a sucker for a mandolin....

Sooo true! We have seen a few bluegrass players and our son is always giving the "sign of rock" to the guitarists and fiddle players! I'm just a sucker for a mandolin....

I own a 1933 Gibson A-00 mandolin that belonged to Scotty Stoneman. I bought it from Gruhns last summer. If you want to study a true lunatic musician, check out Scotty Stoneman. He was the greatist fiddle player to ever walk the face of the Earth.

Period.

Murph.

When I was really little I really loved MoTown stuff. Stuff like the Temptations, The Spinners, Diana Ross, Stevie Wonder, etc. Eventually I discovered rock with Faith No More. From there it went to the whole alternative/grunge rock type stuff and death metal. As I got older I foudn that a lot of the newer stuff that I liked was pretty much hash-offs of stuff I really liked in the 90's. Lately though I find myself listening to a lot of pop and songwriter stuff that ends up in that format of radio because I really enjoy the songwriting and the upbeat side of it.

I grew up listening to my parents music. My dad graduated high school in 1978, so guess what I got. You might be thinking Zeppelin, Sabbath, The Who, and stuff like that. You'd be wrong. My dad has 20 records, and 14 of them are Mr. Sunshine on my God Damn Shoulders John Denver (Super Troopers quote - J.D.'s alright in my book, just gets old really fast). When I was 7 I got diagnosed with Tinnitus, so I got a radio for my birthday to drown out the ringing. I usually tuned in to Oldies - the beatles, motown, and stuff like that. In elementary school I listened to classic country a lot, and really got into Hank Sr. and Johnny Cash. In 5th grade I called for a mail order bike catalog and in the back they had a list of tapes that they sold, and I picked up Social Distortion's self titled album. From that I got another catalog and proceeded to buy everything they had put out, along with some other stuff that I hadn't heard of before - The Clash, The Cure, Pixies, Peter Tosh, Sublime, The Pogues, and Fishbone. In 8th grade I got into reggae a lot more, along with classic ska. I had started playing bass, and got into the walking bass lines and weird drum beats. That got me into Dave Matthews too. Throughout high school I picked up pretty much everything that Trojan Records and Tuff Gong put out, and started listening to Eric Clapton because of his Marley covers, and got into the blues - mostly because it was kind of like reggae in a way, but people didn't insist that because I listened to it I must also smoke pot. I was in a ska band then, and we played a lot of opening stages at a lot of festivals, and traded music with a lot of the people we met there, and I started listening to a handful of jam bands. Most of them still annoy me, but a lot of them have some pretty sweet grooves. These days I'll listen to just about anything - East Coast hip-hop, reggae / dub, classic rock, motown, punk rock (not emo or pop-punk), a few metal bands like Mastodon, stoner rock - pretty much anything with a good rhythm section and a good guitar player.

Absolutely! Started with Doors, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple etc. at 15 - Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, Cream, etc. at 17, (so far so good). Now 51 and love listening to (and playing) The Shadows, Arthur "Guitar Boogie" Smith, Mississippi John Hurt. If I do reach a grand old age will I be playing Schubert on a Les Paul?

______________________________________________________________________________________________

'81 Gibson Les Paul Custom

'06 Martin 00-18 Custom

'86 Fender Stratocaster

'08 Fender American Standard Telecaster

'73 Epiphone FT-145 (Japan)

'06 Taylor Baby

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Archived