Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Coronet (USA Collection)

Posted (edited)

I am the closest to buying a USA built guitar that I have been for a long time. In the 70's I acquired a 58 Coronet as a basket case and rebuilt it. This 58 or 59 is shaped more like a double cut Tele, you could say it is exactly like a double cut Tele.

I have had several Coronets and Wilshire's both US and Asian. This new 1700 $ Coronet is priced about right compared to an equitable Gibson like an SG Junior or a LP DC. It should cost more than base single cut LP Junioir.

My current Coronet below..

kH0AlnM.jpg

My Wilshire below is still performing really well.

HEF1j47.jpg

Edited by mihcmac
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/14/2024 at 8:31 AM, Rabs said:

Epiphone Coronet (USA Collection), Ebony | Epiphone

$1599

First introduced in 1958, the Epiphone Coronet is one of Epiphone’s first and most successful original solid body electric guitar designs, and now it has come home to the USA! The latest Coronet is once again made in the USA and features the same symmetrical double cutaway mahogany body shape, three-on-a-side headstock shape, “Bikini” headstock badge, and pickguard shape as the earliest versions from 1958-1959, and includes a few modern improvements, including a slightly wider (1.695”) nut width and a comfortable SlimTaper™ neck profile, a slightly slimmer (1.375") body depth for better balance and lighter weight, a Graph Tech® nut, and a single P-90 Soapbar pickup. Original USA-made Coronets have been played by everyone from Jimi Hendrix and Steve Marriott to Johnny Marr and Marshall Crenshaw. Now, you can discover the magic of this no-frills rock machine for yourself. A hardshell case is included.

aAZMESy.png

eb2ROso.png

GpvJF8E.png

TTbjMX0.png

Joe Bonamassa Just bought an original 58 or 59 for 12k with the original old style pickup in it.

Edited by mihcmac

Joes looks like the mini hub in mine - if it is they are a great top end, and surprisingly powerful, pickup. 
hope these do well for Gibson, I love the idea of them making great Epis again.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, 'Scales said:

Joes looks like the mini hub in mine - if it is they are a great top end, and surprisingly powerful, pickup. 
hope these do well for Gibson, I love the idea of them making great Epis again.

The pickup in the first Coronet is reported to be a P90 type with the poles laying down on their sides under each string.  One of the first Epiphone pickups from the 40's and earlier that looked more like a mini-bucker.

I gave my 1st Black 2020 style Coronet to a friend, my  2nd arrives tomorrow, to help kill the pain from not getting a new USA style 58, like  the one I rebuilt in the  70's.

.__static.gibson.com_product-images_Epiph

I also had a few other Coronets like the Silver Fox below in-addition Wilshire's was Crestwood's.

yYEgLrl.jpg

I wish I still them all....

856IOV2.jpg

Edited by mihcmac

• 1 month later...

I had a USA Coronet ready to buy with one click and fell asleep, then bought this one first thing in the morning to stop me. So far no regrets this below is so much fun to play and is a good companion LP Junior DC. I have been tweaking it for a couple of weeks, I swapped the input jack and the tone control positions, since I usually route my cable through my strap because this arrangement works better for me. In addition I raised surface mounted P90 using a  1/16" shim plate. The under 6Lb Coronet is great for my back and the neck is too nice. I may still buy the USA version if a good opportunity arises.

Coronet02.jpg.f2515eedc66078a0f6a6855b670766ed.jpg

Edited by mihcmac