Gibson Brands Forums

Curious about comparative lack of used Standard J-45s

3 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

PrairieDog,

Sorry to weigh in so late, but in answer to your original question, the real reason there are so few used J-45 standards available is, I've got them all stashed under my bed.

You just never know when the headstock will spontaneously break off the one you're using, so I did it just to be safe.

RBSinTo

YOU’RE THE ONE!!  Thank God. Mystery solved.

Okay, I’ll wait until your rellie’s drag them all out, on some far off sad day,  and put up the post: “Found all these under the bed, can someone tell us what they are, and what they’re worth?”

Good deal, I can stop desperately scrolling and finally sleep tonight! 😁

I think we’re misinterpreting shortage for shortage in my Town.. There are plenty of Used J-45’s for Sale all over the Country.. 

From what I’m seeing the Used in excellent condition aren’t much cheaper than a new one.. I’d spring the extra few hundred Bucks & get a new one.. 

20 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

I think we’re misinterpreting shortage for shortage in my Town.. There are plenty of Used J-45’s for Sale all over the Country.. 

From what I’m seeing the Used in excellent condition aren’t much cheaper than a new one.. I’d spring the extra few hundred Bucks & get a new one.. 

Larsongs,

There are?????

I musta missed a few.

Not to worry. I still got tons, so help yourself.

RBSinTo

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

But percentage-wise compared to other builds there not plenty of “Standards.” If you look closely it’s a ration of about 5 to 1 “other” build to standards.  And about 20 to one of any other particular model.  If I was looking for a Les Paul, as I said, I’d be tripping over them.  There are 156  LPs for sale in my 250  mile search radius, and just three Standard J-45s.  One of which has been butchered, one is in rough shape for the asking price, which the poster says is firm,  and the last one is a couple hours drive away and has an iffy  listing, but I’m on the verge of contacting them for pictures I can actually see. And there are zippo in the 13 stores I could walk into. 

I’m thinking it’s a bigger deal than I realized that I let the one from a few weeks ago get away.  I was sanguine about it, thinking oh, I’ll just grab the next one.  

My initial question was really more existential.  I wasn’t asking about a “shortage” so much what’s behind the apparent, “hoard-age” 😁

(PD peers with narrowed eyes in RBs’ direction)

Edited by PrairieDog

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, PrairieDog said:

But percentage-wise compared to other builds there not plenty of “Standards.” If you look closely it’s a ration of about 5 to 1 “other” build to standards.  And about 20 to one of any other particular model.  If I was looking for a Les Paul, as I said, I’d be tripping over them.  There are 156  LPs for sale in my 250  mile search radius, and just three Standard J-45s.  One of which has been butchered, one is in rough shape for the asking price, which the poster says is firm,  and the last one is a couple hours drive away and has an iffy  listing, but I’m on the verge of contacting them for pictures I can actually see. And there are zippo in the 13 stores I could walk into. 

I’m thinking it’s a bigger deal than I realized that I let the one from a few weeks ago get away.  I was sanguine about it, thinking oh, I’ll just grab the next one.  

My initial question was really more existential.  I wasn’t asking about a “shortage” so much what’s behind the apparent, “hoard-age” 😁

(PD peers with narrowed eyes in RBs’ direction)

Keep in mind Gibson reserves the right to make changes to whatever they want whenever they want.. And they do constantly.. Others are probably more knowledgeable as to the changes in Standards over the years..

For example, How many variations of ES-335 Dots are there? How many variations of Les Paul Standards are there? 

It’s frustrating.. The ones in the Used market are almost as much as new ones.. If it were me I’d spring the extra few hundred Bucks & get a new one exactly the way I want it.. 

Good luck!

Edited by Larsongs
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

Keep in mind Gibson reserves the right to make changes to whatever they want whenever they want.. And they do constantly.. Others are probably more knowledgeable as to the changes in Standards over the years..

For example, How many variations of ES-335 Dots are there? How many variations of Les Paul Standards are there? 

It’s frustrating.. The ones in the Used market are almost as much as new ones.. If it were me I’d spring the extra few hundred Bucks & get a new one exactly the way I want it.. 

Good luck!

Yeah, but the standard has been the standard sitka/hog since the beginning in ‘42.  The only thing that has changed is the neck and the bracing as Gibson rejiggered things.  I’m not in desperate need, it’s just an itch, so I’m willing to wait for one that has a bit of age on it just so I am that much farther ahead of the race I’m going to lose before the guitar comes into it’s full voice.  If I could swing it, I’d pop for one of the new baked tops to get me there from the git go.  Who knows? like I said in that other comment, if it takes long enough I’ll have refilled the piggy bank so either a vintage or baked will be back on the table.  I really was just curious why there are so many other used models out there, and yet for their headliner “workhorse” there are so few churning through the resale markets.  Just shows they really must be what people want it seems.  

14 hours ago, PrairieDog said:

Yeah, but the standard has been the standard sitka/hog since the beginning in ‘42.  The only thing that has changed is the neck and the bracing as Gibson rejiggered things.  I’m not in desperate need, it’s just an itch, so I’m willing to wait for one that has a bit of age on it just so I am that much farther ahead of the race I’m going to lose before the guitar comes into it’s full voice.  If I could swing it, I’d pop for one of the new baked tops to get me there from the git go.  Who knows? like I said in that other comment, if it takes long enough I’ll have refilled the piggy bank so either a vintage or baked will be back on the table.  I really was just curious why there are so many other used models out there, and yet for their headliner “workhorse” there are so few churning through the resale markets.  Just shows they really must be what people want it seems.  

Actually they have undergone numerous changes over the years since those Kalamazoo Gals started crafting the in 1942..  Including years built with other Woods.. But, several other things as well..

27 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

Actually they have undergone numerous changes over the years since those Kalamazoo Gals started crafting the in 1942..  Including years built with other Woods.. But, several other things as well..

Lars, I get it! However, those wouldn’t be “Standards” though, would they?   I’m talking about the Saltine cracker of guitars: the plain old Sitka/mahogany, dot inlay, simple binding J-45.  And that is what’s missing in the used marketplace: the version that is *supposed* to be the most popular Gibson acoustic guitar.  

I’m not looking for something fancy or different.   I already mentioned there are tons of other J-45 variations out there, but those are not what I’m looking for.  

I already have rosewood/sitka guitars, I already have a walnut Studio J-45,  I have a 1910 L1 adi/mahogony parlor size, I have 12 frets, I have sitka/maple dreadnaughts.  

What I don’t have is a run of the mill, sitka/mahogany dreadnaught. And right now, I’d settle for one that doesn’t cost as much as a used car, chuckle.  

Seriously, all I was trying to do was raise the philosophical question around WHY are there so few Standards swimming in the pool compared to other Gibson models. 

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, PrairieDog said:

Lars, I get it! However, those wouldn’t be “Standards” though, would they?   I’m talking about the Saltine cracker of guitars: the plain old Sitka/mahogany, dot inlay, simple binding J-45.  And that is what’s missing in the used marketplace: the version that is *supposed* to be the most popular Gibson acoustic guitar.  

I’m not looking for something fancy or different.   I already mentioned there are tons of other J-45 variations out there, but those are not what I’m looking for.  

I already have rosewood/sitka guitars, I already have a walnut Studio J-45,  I have a 1910 L1 adi/mahogony parlor size, I have 12 frets, I have sitka/maple dreadnaughts.  

What I don’t have is a run of the mill, sitka/mahogany dreadnaught. And right now, I’d settle for one that doesn’t cost as much as a used car, chuckle.  

Seriously, all I was trying to do was raise the philosophical question around WHY are there so few Standards swimming in the pool compared to other Gibson models. 

My friend, keep in mind what you want is the one everybody wants.. Most of those don’t get sold.. There are still some plain run of the mill J-45’s for sale. Just not in our neighborhood’s.. Most are probably in the Cities.. L.A., N.Y.C., Nashville, Memphis, Austin, Las Vegas & similar Music Cities.. You’ll probably have to do some traveling. But, is it worth the extra cost to do so? Especially, when those really good ones are about the same price as a new one..

I can’t find any really good Used Martin D-45’s, D-41’s, Guild D-55E’s, Gibson SJ.200’s in my area I can go & try out either… I think people keep the good stuff..

Best of luck to you..

Edited by Larsongs

Okay, so after all that, I got me a Hummingbird! AND I’m having it shipped 😆 PrairieDog apologizes for taking up the bandwidth with this goose chase.  Pics to follow when it arrives intact and checks out, fingers crossed it lands okay.  

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

fyp.,

"kind and gracious Canadian-ish"???????

I've been called many things before, but never "kind and gracious".

I'm not really sure what to make of this.

Very confused.

RBSinTo

Edited by RBSinTo
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

Some here in the lower 48 believe that you above it all =  are much more laid back, kind, peaceful and courteous.  Sort of the opposite of the reputation New Yorkers have.  (being a former one).

Well, technically, Canada is above us all… 😆 duck, grin… seriously, They are some great people.  And just saying a lot of Minnesotans yearn  to be redrawn in the map as South Manitoba 😁

• Haha 1

In the Navy, we ran into their sailors  occasionally in bars, and marveled at their ability to hold their MoosePiss and still carry on an intelligent conversation.   At least, what they were saying seemed intelligent, considering our own consumption levels of Horsepiss.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

On 5/25/2024 at 10:54 AM, PrairieDog said:

Okay, so after all that, I got me a Hummingbird! AND I’m having it shipped 😆 PrairieDog apologizes for taking up the bandwidth with this goose chase.  Pics to follow when it arrives intact and checks out, fingers crossed it lands okay.  

And the universe is hilarious… After all this, and all the angst this week over the shipping of the mis-labelled Bird, and finally the NGD party today, we walked into our regular GC, and yeah, you know it, hanging nonchalantly on the wall, pretty as a June day, a nicely priced, used J-45 Standard that sounds like a cannon.  I just can’t even... I almost brought it home just to compare, After all, it’s $1,000 bucks less, but dang it, the Hummer is soooo nice….. arrrrrggghhhhh!!!!

Edited by PrairieDog

3 hours ago, PrairieDog said:

HA! And the Universe can 

And the universe is hilarious… After all this, and all the angst this week over the shipping of the mis-labelled Bird, and finally the NGD party today, we walked into our regular GC, and yeah, you know it, hanging nonchalantly on the wall, pretty as a June day, a nicely priced, used J-45 Standard that sounds like a cannon.  I just can’t even... I almost brought it home just to compare, After all, it’s $1,000 bucks less, but dang it, the Hummer is soooo nice….. arrrrrggghhhhh!!!!

There must be some kind of rule of the universe! I know that every time I buy a new Guitar, Amp etc.. A week later something I had been hunting forever pops up & it’s usually even better & an even better deal!

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

There must be some kind of rule of the universe! I know that every time I buy a new Guitar, Amp etc.. A week later something I had been hunting forever pops up & it’s usually even better & an even better deal!

And as the hours tick by, I’m getting antsier… I understand all the phones have been hidden so I can’t just call down there and have my guy hold it for me.  

“Honey, c’mon, why don’t I just go pick it up, bring it home, and do a play off, here??? What could that hurt, huh?? Really! I promise to bring one back. Cross my heart (and fingers) Pretty please????” I know we need a new deck, but just think how great that J-45 would sound on it!!” 😆

12 hours ago, PrairieDog said:

And as the hours tick by, I’m getting antsier… I understand all the phones have been hidden so I can’t just call down there and have my guy hold it for me.  

“Honey, c’mon, why don’t I just go pick it up, bring it home, and do a play off, here??? What could that hurt, huh?? Really! I promise to bring one back. Cross my heart (and fingers) Pretty please????” I know we need a new deck, but just think how great that J-45 would sound on it!!” 😆

A little over a year or so ago, Fender came out with a George Harrison Ltd Edition “Rocky” Strat.. I had just bought a new Gretsch White Falcon.. I couldn’t get the “Rocky”. They sold out within hours of introduction.. A couple of my Band mates got them..

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

A little over a year or so ago, Fender came out with a George Harrison Ltd Edition “Rocky” Strat.. I had just bought a new Gretsch White Falcon.. I couldn’t get the “Rocky”. They sold out within hours of introduction.. A couple of my Band mates got them..

Ouch! See? and it still stings, right?  Rueful chuckle.  I’ve missed so many good 45s and other guitars for the sake of adulting… It’s getting tiresome 😁 I wanna be a teenager again, with all that disposable income and nothing else to spend it on.  

On 6/1/2024 at 7:41 PM, PrairieDog said:

So my wonderful better half realized she would get no peace with me making puppy eyes at her every time she looked at me.  (Even I couldn’t keep a straight face I was being so transparent). So we went down to “try” the J-45, maybe bring it home and give it a go against the others, and the new ‘bird. The agreement was I would try to be a grown-up  and return one of them.  

Well, good thing we went and I got it out of my system.  It didn’t even need to leave the store.  

A couple really long, deep scratches across the front bout. And the back finish was trashed so bad you could make out the pattern of the cloth of the sweaty shirt the dude was wearing, and likely unbuttoned from the abrupt haze stripe his belly left in the center of the back.   

Okay, finish that bad, I could have maybe talked down the price way down, and Virtuoso’ed it back up. But this was the first one I ever looked at that I could tell the neck was warped/twisted.  Not just a t-rod adjustment. Treble side was fine, but the intonation was way off on the low end. when I sighted down the neck you could see where the bass side was a-kilter.  

Good to know I really can see it.  I was beginning to think either that twisting was just a myth, or I wasn’t looking for the right thing.  

Anyway, came home and apologized to the H’bird for thinking about stepping out on it.  😁

On 6/2/2024 at 6:41 AM, PrairieDog said:

Ouch! See? and it still stings, right?  Rueful chuckle.  I’ve missed so many good 45s and other guitars for the sake of adulting… It’s getting tiresome 😁 I wanna be a teenager again, with all that disposable income and nothing else to spend it on.  

The desire for a Rocky has finally waned after a couple years.. I already have an amazingly good Fender 40th Anniv. Strat.. So, I’m good with Strats.

I do want another Acoustic but am undecided.. I want one that’s different from the Acoustics I have.. But, equally as good..

A good Hummingbird has always been of interest. I will be checking those out for sure..  They are really great Guitars!

Everything seems to have worked out best for you.. Enjoy that ‘Bird..