Gibson Brands Forums

Amp around or under 1 grand?

Slick Joe

I'm into playing stuff that sounds similar to the heavy riffs of Stone Temple Pilots, Velvet Revolver, Rush, and Joe Satriani. Any amps around that price range you guys reccommend? (1,000 +/- 200ish)

Since I'm stuck at college til the end of next week I cant go to a guitar center or anything to try out amps personally but I'd be interested in hearing ya'lls opinions from experience

A nice Marshall Vintage Modern 2466 or 2266 (50 watt version ). I dont know how much they are in the States but I would have thought you would at least get a decent second hand one within your price range . Velvet Revolver/ Slash uses the Vintage Modern 2466.

The 2246 also comes in a Combo

Flight959

Are you interested in solid state or tube amps?

If solid state' date=' less than 60W won't work for you.

If tube, more than 40W would be a little too much.

It's a crazy world... [/quote']

I have always wanted a tube amp so lets go with that =;

So long as it is able to meet my demands (aka produce STP/VR/Rush/Joe Satriani sounding riffs)

There is the new Marshall Haze that is coming out soon' date=' there is a 40W combo or a 15W head and cab or head and 2 cabs.

Look up "Marshall Haze" at the Musicians Friend website.[/quote']

You know, this might be a good option for you. As far as I remember (haven't looked at them in weeks), it's right in your price range, the demo from Marshall shows the amp of and it can get a lot of those classic "marshall tones." The only beef I've heard against them is that the effects are all digital (confirm/deny?) and some people have problems with those (me, lol). You might enjoy them though, even on the demo the chorus/reverb on the clean channel produced one hell of a tone.

You know' date=' this might be a good option for you. As far as I remember (haven't looked at them in weeks), it's right in your price range, the demo from Marshall shows the amp of and it can get a lot of those classic "marshall tones." The only beef I've heard against them is that the effects are all digital (confirm/deny?) and some people have problems with those (me, lol). You might enjoy them though, even on the demo the chorus/reverb on the clean channel produced one hell of a tone.[/quote']

Ya I was looking at some youtube videos of the amp after i saw it mentioned on the thread (thanks again for all the suggestoins as I'm not too farmiliar with names and its nice to know what amps are out there) and it seems pretty sick, think it would be loud enough for a band though that plays a lot of stuff outdoors? (playing over drums/bass/vocals)

It's really important to know where you will be using it. Arena? Bedroom? Somewhere in between? Like TG said a 40 watt tube amp is plenty for most circumstances (including arenas). My tube amp (Epiphone BC30) is switchable between 15 & 30 watts. It stays in the 15 watt position. The Egnator Rebel, which I think is really cool, can be dialed in anywhere from 1 to 20 watts and can switch between or blend 6l6 and eh (i forgot which) tubes. Head runs about $600, few hundred more for a matching cab if you don't already have one.

I have always wanted a tube amp so lets go with that :)

So long as it is able to meet my demands (aka produce STP/VR/Rush/Joe Satriani sounding riffs)

That's a very wide range of tones... :-s

What about an amp with a nice clean and a nice slight OD and use pedals for crunch and more heavy sounds?

That's a very wide range of tones... :-s

What about an amp with a nice clean and a nice slight OD and use pedals for crunch and more heavy sounds?

Yeah that might work, I know that the cleaner an amp sounds the better it will sound w/ pedals so that is always an option (well depending on price) Did you have something in mind? Hitting the heavier STP tone is what I would like most out of the amp really

I don't know... there's the fender hot rod line... they sound very good for clean and take most pedals well' date=' their OD/dist channel doesn't get cranked at all... even at higher levels.[/quote']

Ah so that would def need pedals... Hmmm

Whatever I got, I would be moving it all around a lot and a bunch of pedals might be a hassle

Ive only tried individual pedals and have never (ok thats a lie but Ive never actually sat down and messed with one) used one of those uber-multi effect pedals, those things any good? Really it would be for convenience

It's really important to know where you will be using it. Arena? Bedroom? Somewhere in between? Like TG said a 40 watt tube amp is plenty for most circumstances (including arenas). My tube amp (Epiphone BC30) is switchable between 15 & 30 watts. It stays in the 15 watt position. The Egnator Rebel' date=' which I think is really cool, can be dialed in anywhere from 1 to 20 watts and can switch between or blend 6l6 and eh (i forgot which) tubes. Head runs about $600, few hundred more for a matching cab if you don't already have one.[/quote']

I would use it in a basement where my band plays and in small venues and parks (we like to host "music festivals" at local parks)

I guess you would call that somewhere in between? haha

I don't know... there's the fender hot rod line... they sound very good for clean and take most pedals well' date=' their OD/dist channel doesn't get cranked at all... even at higher levels.[/quote']

Really? I haven't had a problem with mine (Hot Rod Deluxe), but I suppose the heaviest song I play distortion wise is Hendrix's "Fire". And again, like you said, it'll take most pedals through the clean channel and sound great. At 40w of tube power it'd be plenty loud for small bars and the local park show.

What about an orange tiny terror' date=' a vox nightrain or a krank rev jr? (maybe not as much clean headroom as you would need tho... specially at higher levels).

I think the marshall haze stiffhand recomended is a good option too.[/quote']

Yeah I'm diggin that haze

too bad it doesnt come out til june :/

Go with Bugera Amps ---The 6262-2x12 combo with 4-6L6's (convertable to EL34's) and 6 12ax7's. If you want a real good Clean pop in a 12au that's used for the clean side.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--BUG6262

I have heard absolutely nothing but bad things about Bugera. Esp on Harmony Central, they use the name Bugera to refer to any shitty amp but apparently when it comes to reliability the amps are absolutely horrible.

What do you guys think about the Peavey Valveking Half Stack?

Archived