Gibson Brands Forums

Another Pro Stating There Is No Best Guitarists

Even as a mediocre musician not particularly knowledgeable about many of the so-called great guitar players, it is apparent to me that the greatest or best guitarist never did and doesn't now exist.

RBSinTo

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

Hendrix said Billy Gibbons was the best he's ever seen.

Gill isn't even the best guitarist in The Eagles.

That is true for you. I’ve seen insane guitarist live, Lindsey Buckingham, Richard Thompson, Steve Morse, Steve Howe, Steve Hackett, Zappa. I saw ZZ Top too.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

That is true for you. I’ve seen insane guitarist live, Lindsey Buckingham, Richard Thompson, Steve Morse, Steve Howe, Steve Hackett, Zappa. I saw ZZ Top too.

too bad they were all past the prime  period when you did....

I dunno man...

last week I felt I was the best guitar player.....  but the week before my hands felt like they both had rabies and couldn't lay a track down without completely screwing up.

sometimes I just hate the studio 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I've seen almost everyone on your list...plus Jimmy Page, Pete Townshend, Eddie Van Halen, Brian May (4 times)  and a bunch more.

There are young dudes killing it on the guitar these days. Check out Marcin playing Kashmir.

• Upvote 1

Competition can improve music. I never used to believe that. It took George Martin to convince me. He could see it happen in John & Paul. 

Performance can be lifted by competition too. However that usually means showing off. By far the better musical experiences are the ones where an artist is in the zone emotionally, which cannot encompass competition. 

So competitive playing, for me is always 2nd best. That's why there can be no best guitarist, nor composer, nor singer. There are just the ones we happen to like. 

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

How about Robert Fripp or Allan Holdsworth? 

I just can't handle going to a concert where it's just a guitar player playing lead for two hours. 

i went to a Satriana concert back in the 1990's and I fell asleep halfway through. 

58 minutes ago, duane v said:

I just can't handle going to a concert where it's just a guitar player playing lead for two hours. 

i went to a Satriana concert back in the 1990's and I fell asleep halfway through. 

I feel the same way. I wouldn't go to Bonamassa if the ticket was free. He has no soul to his playing.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, duane v said:

So if could, and he was still alive you wouldn’t have gone to have seen Jimi Hendrix because he would be playing to much guitar. That’s the draw with him, he plays guitar. What do you want Jimi to do some choreographed moves in some tight fitting  clothes or something? 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

2 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

How about looking at it like this who is the best painter? Picasso, Dali, Renoir, Van Gogh. It’s silly all great and neither one better than the other.

Chief,

My favorite painter is Ebber. He and his assistant painted the interior of our house recently, and did an excellent job. 

I doubt that Picasso, Dali, Renoir or Van Gough could have surpassed the work he did.

RBSinTo

32 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

Chief,

My favorite painter is Ebber. He and his assistant painted the interior of our house recently, and did an excellent job. 

I doubt that Picasso, Dali, Renoir or Van Gough could have surpassed the work he did.

RBSinTo

Yeah those guys would have painted clocks melting, starry nights, cubes and women dancing. What hacks.

1 hour ago, Ceptorman said:

I feel the same way. I wouldn't go to Bonamassa if the ticket was free. He has no soul to his playing.

Joe does have no soul, but I’d see him any day of the week instead of T S. Her, I would scalp her ticket  on Stub Hub for as much as I could get from a MILF.

2 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

So if could, and he was still alive you wouldn’t have gone to have seen Jimi Hendrix because he would be playing to much guitar. That’s the draw with him, he plays guitar. What do you want Jimi to do some choreographed moves in some tight fitting  clothes or something? 

Jimi Hendrix sings. And sings well.

Satriani and Holdsworth play leads all day. I find that boring

• Like 1

Yeah those guys would have painted clocks melting, starry nights, cubes and women dancing. What hacks.

Chief,

Ebber did those things with the primer, but painted over them with the finish coat.

RBSinTo

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, duane v said:

Jimi Hendrix sings. And sings well.

Satriani and Holdsworth play leads all day. I find that boring

Ahhhh. He sang too, when he wasn’t just playing guitar all day, behind his back, and with his teeth, or lightning it on fire, or pretend having coitus with his amp. What kind of a forum are we on, a vocal forum?  I remember damn near every band I saw had singers in the band. The Dixie Dregs didn’t.

Ahhhh. He sang too, when he wasn’t just playing guitar all day, behind his back, and with his teeth, or lightning it on fire, or pretend having coitus with his amp. What kind of a forum are we on, a vocal forum?  I remember damn near every band I saw had singers in the band. The Dixie Dregs didn’t.

bla bla bla buddy,  you  have started this topic a hundred times,  2nd to TS, with NY close in 3rd, get over yourself...

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I agree here. Art, not just in music, is NOT a  sports kind of event (faster, higher, longer, LOL). There's literally millions of guitar players on this planet, all doing an expression ... of themselves and their views of this world. Each one totally unique and in a way priceless.

Jimi was incredibly great, yeah, but so is Al DiMeola, McLaughlin, Emmanuel, Blackmore, and all the others, including new ones, like Matteo Mancuso. (EDIT: adding Guthrie Govan.)

The other day, I was searching for L-00 guitars, to see how they sound... Joe Robinson is a name I've never heard of before.  

Edited by OrdinaryNimda
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, jvi said:

bla bla bla buddy,  you  have started this topic a hundred times,  2nd to TS, with NY close in 3rd, get over yourself...

It keeps popping up when I’m searching the net. And makes me laugh to think the day Jimi died no guitarist ever advanced past what he could do. That’s what I’m supposed to believe. Like technology. Did it grind to a stand still after the model T was made? 

The Mike Douglas Show had Jimi Hendrix on as a guest at a time when Hendrix had become the toast of the town.
Douglas asked Hendrix: “What’s it was like to be the best rock guitarist in the world?”

Jimi then beautifully responded: “I don’t know, you’ll have to ask Rory Gallagher”. 

Jimi also had great affection for Billy Gibbons, and once told him "you're my favorite guitar player". 

Is there a difference between "the best" and "my favorite"?
Sure. 
Sometimes they are one and the same, but it'll all subjective.

Just don't ask Rolling Stone magazine. 
Those guys are full of ****. 

😐

1581593691353.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=74fbc45

• Haha 1