Gibson Brands Forums

CHRYSLER FILES FOR CHAPTeR 11 BANKRUPTCY

Homz

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree they should have started out with chapter 11 instead of our giving them billoins fist and then going to chapter 11 anyway. My heart goes out to the workers who are my family members currently working and retired, neighbors and friends. There going to wind up getting the shaft while the execs golden parachute out.

Bastards

Homz what's up??? Did you work for Chrysler? Are you loosing your job?

Since the cat is already out of the bag, yes I am a United Auto Worker. I am a journeyman Powerhouse Mechanic at a plant in Kokomo, IN.

My job. I don't know.

Since the cat is already out of the bag' date=' yes I am a United Auto Worker. I am a journeyman Powerhouse Mechanic at a plant in Kokomo, IN.

My job. I don't know. [/quote']

Well don't go selling your guitars just yet.... I just got on your jam mailing list...](*,)

Since the cat is already out of the bag' date=' yes I am a United Auto Worker. I am a journeyman Powerhouse Mechanic at a plant in Kokomo, IN.

Yeah... well, they're not going to lay everyone off just yet, Homz.

Besides, they need powerhouse mechanics.

And what about seniority?

It's all about the food chain, man.

I thought you were a scientist or engineer or something like that. Surely those skills are transferable to another industry.

The following was ripped from the AP article:

The officials, speaking on condition of anonymity because the terms of the bankruptcy had not yet been released, said there would be no job losses or plant closing due to the Chapter 11. But it will be up to Fiat and Chrysler to decide whether to restructure the steadily shrinking company.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/01/business/01primer.html?hpw

Q. What happens to Chrysler employees?

A. The White House said it did not anticipate any reductions in white- or blue-collar jobs as a result of the bankruptcy. However, Chrysler employees who are not union members do not have any job security. The company can ask a judge for an immediate pay cut for its salaried employees, and can announce job eliminations and close offices, just as it can outside bankruptcy,

Contracts covering members of the United Automobile Workers union and other unions will remain in force, until the company asks a judge to void them. U.A.W. members approved changes to their contract on Wednesday that presumably would mean the contract would stay in place.

But if the company asked for contracts to be terminated and replaced with terms it can more readily afford, the union would have a chance to respond in court. Negotiations would take place before any cuts were imposed. This process could take months.

Doesn't look like you have much too worry about in the short term...

I am a journeyman Powerhouse Mechanic at a plant in Kokomo' date=' IN. [/quote']

First, my obligitory organized labor observation.

Listening to Limbaugh as I type this, he says the UAW will now have a substantial ownership stake in Chrysler.

Seems to be a well-kept secret, none of the other news outlets are mentioning this.

Homz, I understand your job is not assembly line related, eh?

If your skills are more civil (wrong word to describe you, but...) and mechanical/building/grounds are your forte then you should be able to find something with little trouble. Your Navy training and facility maintenance experience should make you a valuable asset to any large commercial operation - even office buildings.

I've mentioned power plants before, look into that one as well.

I'm afraid you are in a dying industry, the writing is on the wall in the exact same script as steel, textiles, electronics.

It may be time for you to do to the auto industry what I did to the petroleum industry - say good bye and don't look back.

Good luck to you.

First' date=' my obligitory organized labor observation.

Listening to Limbaugh as I type this, he says the UAW will now have a substantial ownership stake in Chrysler.

Seems to be a well-kept secret, none of the other news outlets are mentioning this.[/quote']

The well-kept secret part would just be Limbaugh huffing and puffing about the "liberal media" again. CNN discusses it in their main story about the the bankruptcy.

As a result of that deal' date=' the UAW will own 55% of Chrysler. Fiat will own a 20% stake with the option of increasing it to 35%. The U.S. government will own 8% and Canada will have a 2% stake.[/quote']

http://money.cnn.com/2009/04/30/news/companies/chrysler_bankruptcy/index.htm

Archived