Gibson Brands Forums

Do you play your SG clean or with overdrive/distortion?

Maple

what do you do more of.. clean or overdriven?

I love the od sound of the SG.. it's amazing! but.. i'm not getting a great clean tone out of it, it's just dull. is this a pick up height issue? It's a 61RI satin finish GOW limited run. 57 / 57+

any tips on how to get a better clean tone?

Yo, I've got a 61 RI with 57 classics and at the moment I'm playing it through a Vox Valvetronix and getting an awesome clean, almost jangly tone with some nice bite. I can safely say i've never attempted to change pickup height etc, but i did have some dullness in the sound. I eventually figured it was the amp so I did some tweaking and now its fine. There shouldn't be anything wrong but you could try heightening the pickups. Just mess about and see how you like it- it's all about personal preference.

I play an SG Classic with P90's and I get a great clean tone I use for Jazz or Van Morrison type music. I can say that you just cant turn the drive down or OD off and get a great clean tone, it takes diff. settings on the amp. Robb

I have Seymour Duncan P-Rails in my SG and I can get great clean sounds. The OD sounds are great too but I prefer to just crank the amp on the clean channel for some very light natural distortion. I use a custom made fuzz pedal for heavy songs and solos.

Wow ... had to respond to this one. I've always felt that 50% of your tone starts with your playing. After that, it's an even split between the pickups you've got in your axe, and the tubes you're playing through on your amp. Then sprinkle in a bit of the woods your guitar's made with, the gauge of your strings, and ultimately how many pedals you've got in your tone stack sucking the signal before it hits the amp.

NO DISRESPECT to the solid-state lovers out there, but IMHO you just get more tone out of tubes.

Anywho, pickup could possibly have a little more to do with it than I'd like to admit, but I doubt it's adding to the "dull" tone you're talking about. Pickup height, in my experience, is more related to how much signal is being picked up ... not the timbre of the guitar.

You want some super KILLER clean tones with an SG? How about crankin' a late 70's Marshall JMP Super Lead 100 (or any other non-high-gain amp with EL34s ... my choice) and figuring out the whole "dynamics" thing. Play soft!! No distortion. Hit them strings! OVERDRIVE!

Hehe ... yeah.

OD is amazing through my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe... I'd say I probably play 90/10 OD/Clean... but it's such a versatile guitar... can play anything... good match with a tube amp...

Word. I own the Hot Rod Deluxe in addition to my JCM800 reissue ... the SG sounds WICKED through it. But it all comes down to dynamics and tubes.

thanks for the replys... i'll work on getting a better clean tone. maybe dull wasn't the best word... i think dark is a better description. but again, with OD it sounds amazing!!! i can go from AC/DC to Sabbath and beyond! i just need to work on the clean tone. i'll mess with it this weekend. anyway... the SG rocks!!!

well let me ask you all this...

i'm playing my SG with my Princeton Reverb... so what are good settings with a blackface amp? and... do you all keep your picks ups level? menaing the same hieght on the treb and on the bass side?

i don't like too much gain, not that much into distortion, but i do love it overdriven. think AC/DC :)

but still trying to work out a nice clean tone...

thanks all

well let me ask you all this...

i'm playing my SG with my Princeton Reverb... so what are good settings with a blackface amp? and... do you all keep your picks ups level? menaing the same hieght on the treb and on the bass side?

i don't like too much gain' date=' not that much into distortion, but i do love it overdriven. think AC/DC :)

but still trying to work out a nice clean tone...

thanks all[/quote']

I don't know about the EQ settings on a Princeton Reverb, I don't own one.

I keep my pickup height even, same as the factory set up:

When depressing both E strings at the last fret and measuring from the pole piece tops(screws) to the bottom of the strings

mine are 3/32" on both sides for the neck PUP and 1/16" on both sides for the bridge PUP.

"Dirty clean" or overdriven. I don't play clean. I'm not some jazz-wannabe' wuss. I play rock-n-roll. [-X

H-Bomb

PS...I'm ALSO not some oversaturated, detuned "nu-metal" cretin either, so don't get the wrong impression.

Archived