Gibson Brands Forums

What was you first car?

Rockin365

'34 Chevy Coupe, chopped and channeled it myself, then dropped in a 430 Lincoln engine with Isky cam and 6 2-barrel carbs on an Edelbrock manifold. Other go-fast goodies too, of course. Drove it on the street and ran B-Altered at the strip. Later took off the 6 2s and added a blower.

72 OLDSMOBILE CUTLASS SUPREME . I'd still have the car, but somebody made a left turn in front of my wife in1986.the car spun around and hit the curb, ripped the rear axle out, folded it right up. My dad said maybe we could fix it, but i know he was out to lunch.

a 68 camaro my Daddy built for me...

I liked the camaro and the mustang' date=' would love either. =D>)

I saw a mustang in a showroom the other week with a price tag of 18k,

if only i could afford the petrol it would drink!!!

As close as I got to owning anything like either of those was this

3ltr mk 3 ford capri, which was my second car.

The one shown here wasnt mine.

Mine was dark blue and had skimmed head high lift cams, racing exhaust system,

uprated brakes 'n' disks 'n' suspension. Still handled like cr*p. It was quick though.

[img']http://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/dbimages/0964392001235036657.jpg[/img]

First vehicle I drove? was a truck Chevrolet C-50 Single axle straight truck. 4 spd, split axle, 366 1bbl V-8. Got 7 mpg on a good day.

First car I drove? 1972 Chevrolet Impala, 4-dr, sea-foam mist, dk green vinyl top. 350 2bbl, V-8.. it even had A/C!

AM and AM radio. Added an under dash Craig cassette tape player and rear window deck surface mount Musicland speakers. I had to mount the tape player in front of the instrument cluster, but not blocking the speedo or other important gauges. This was a handy place as the controls were just behind the steering wheel at about 2:00. The main reason was I already had a CB Radio mounted under the dash. Got 17mpg

First Car I owned: 1975 Pontiac Catlina, 2dr. Copper Mist with white vinyl top, OEM Pontiac Rally Wheels with the arrow head center caps. AM-AM radio with aforementioned tape player and CB radio. 400cid, 2 bbl engine. Got a whopping 10 mpg! Probably why it had a 25 gallon tank. At greater than road speed you could litterally see the gas gauge move. It was a looker and a screamer, but a gas eatin' sow. Alas, the gas crunch of the 1980's forced me into trade my 'courtin' car off.

1965 Mustang Coupe 200hp

IMG_5405.jpg

1966 Ford Mustang Coupe. 289-2V automatic with AM radio.

I had a white 66.

Same motor' date=' "C" code 289 2bbl, C-4 Cruise O Matic, 280:1 rear end, white/Ivy Gold pony seats, power steering, A/C.

Here's the kicker - mine came with factory disc brakes for SCCA homologation production rules.

Owned that car 25 years.

1974 Chevy Vega' date=' fill up the oil and check the gas![/quote']

Hah!

The first Vega I ever saw that I liked was about 1980 at the drag strip in Liberal, Kansas.

Instead of that horrible aluminum motor, it had a 454 with a blower in it - on the side was painted "War Wagon."

Don't remember how fast it was on the track, but it was street legal.

Wow!

The Vega L-4 engine was a POJ, until they put iron sleeves in the aluminum block. Not sure how that affected their longevity. Aluminum and iron don't get along well. It's called gavanic reaction. It's an electrical/chemical thing that most automotive and machinery engineers got wrong on their exit exams from college. They keep bolting them together and 5 or 6 years later they fall apart.

This was GM's first attempt at fuel economy. Sadly, once they got the engine siezing thing whipped with iron sleeves, the fuel economy in this 'small' car was no better than my full sized Impala. And... not near as good as my folks' Electra 225 with 455-4bbl engine in it. (That's almost 7.5 liters children!) That Iowa Class battlewagon would get 20mpg!, compared to my friend's Vega and my Impala's 350 V-8 at 17mpg. Go figure!

Archived