Gibson Brands Forums

Super speedy or a Cruiser?

Rockin365

I gotta say my preference is for fast machines but i do like the odd custom cruiser or old harley.

My last bike was an old Yamaha RD 350LC IN Kenny roberts colours. like the one below.

Great fun, I whipped a fireblade from central London to Blackheath hill on one of these.

Dangerous but fun. lol :-k)

I was a parts manager for 5 yrs in central london.

1980-rd350lc.jpg

The weather for biking is here and am thinking about a new bike,

the wifey aint too happy about it though.

0b147650@Suzuki-Hayabusa.jpg

02suzuki-gsxr1000-k9.jpg

cycle1_1.jpg

media?id=882751339

Goes fast, stops fast, stump-pulling torque, comfortable enough for 12 hours in the saddle (half a ton with me in the saddle and the tank and bags full) and it doesn't mark its territory. I had my speedy fun on Triumphs and Nortons when I was younger and many of our members here weren't even twinkles in their Mama's eye. No such thang as any ol' monkey-butt bikes back then.

IMG_0907.jpg

Ive always had a passion for bikes,

My father used to own a single cylinder vellocette 500cc venom which he built himself from a box of bits.

It was a venom thruxton cross.

Was basically like the bike below but with the racing seat as shown in bottom pic.

At 100mph it felt like nothing ive ever experienced again!

Vellocette%20Clubmanised%20Venom%201963%20500cc_jpg.jpg

getimage.php?scm_num=22574

I'm still waiting for Harley to do something like a V-Rod with a big inch Screaming Eagle motor.

Long, low, lean like a drag bike with nothing in the way of dressy doo-dads.

In other words, everything a cruiser is not.

No Custom bike builders are doing anything of the sort, it's all Monster this, Chopper that, with no function whatsoever.

I have been banned from riding motorcycles, it is acknowledged that I would do something harmful to myself and possibly others if got on one. I can't control myself when I do. But those big Ducatis tempt me with a little bit of insane fun followed by a hopefully quick death.

I have been banned from riding motorcycles' date='[/quote']

I had my licence taken for a yr for doing excessive speed on a motorway at 3 in the morning.

There wasnt any need for it as there was not a great deal asside me on the road.

got a letter in the post after getting caught by a damn camera!

I'm still waiting for Harley to do something like a V-Rod with a big inch Screaming Eagle motor.

Long' date=' low, lean like a drag bike with nothing in the way of dressy doo-dads.

In other words, everything a cruiser is not.

No Custom bike builders are doing anything of the sort, it's all Monster this, Chopper that, with no function whatsoever.

[/quote']

Geez, this has been available since '05. Too slow...or too glitzy? :-k

vrod%20destroyer_750.jpg

Jesus an old RD350 not seen one of them in yrs... Ever have an RGV250??

Flight959

Blew one up. Rebuilt it and sold it.

Funny really someone was asking me earlier this week about an RGV250.

apparantly a mint one thats been garaged for yrs. he wants a grand for it '£1k'.

Great bike tho.

The KR1s was a demon as well.

cadwell1.jpg

My last bike was an old Yamaha RD 350LC IN Kenny roberts colours. like the one below.

1980-rd350lc.jpg

I used to have a 350 LC in black with allspeeds. One of the best I rode had a tuned power valve motor in it. In the '80s, all you would hear on summer evenings would be the sound of screaming two- strokes. Sundays were like the IOM TT - just set off into the peak district, and before you knew it you were racing each other like lunatics. A lot of friends and acquantances died or got severly injured. I shudder at the things I used to do - I would take big risks to win. The RD seemed tailor- made for UK roads, and the bike egged you on to go faster and faster.

I sold the 350, but kept my even older RD400.

I bought a GPZ550 thinking it would calm me down and be more reliable /economical, but it just made me go even faster. All my friends went even crazier to try and show I'd made the wrong decision buying a 4 stroke. Bikes such as the KR1S, stage 3 tuned RGVs, tuned YPVS etc couldn't keep with the GPZ. I was never nabbed for speeding - I don't know how I got away with it.

The RD seemed tailor- made for UK roads' date=' and the bike egged you on to go faster and faster.[/quote']

I whole heartedly agree, it could take a good punishment.

The 80's were great, I got to ride a RD 500lc in the marlborough colours, it was so close to being way too much.

A serious adrenaline rush though.

Sadly I know a few people that have perished on the roads while riding their pride and joy.

RIP Good friends, may ya'll be going like a bat outta hell somewhere.

Im thinking of maybee a zx9r or a gsx 1200 bandit for the summer.

If i am allowed.... lol :o)

My main bike is a '74 Honda CB360 with original green paint. Stone stock. I've had the "big bikes" including an old Kaw H-2 750 and a KZ900 and the whole "my bike is faster than yours" b.s. got old fast. My little 360 takes me to work and back and it's forever the summer of '74.....

and it's forever the summer of '74.....

I was 2 then' date=' ive slept far too many nights to remember that far back, lol :o)

Never got into the bs of 'mines quicker', just like the thrill of going fast.

This was an old classic I would love to ride

The old Suzuki Katana.

[img']http://www.katanacentral.co.uk/images/themodels/gsx1100s/side.jpg[/img]

vrod%20destroyer_750.jpg

Yeah' date=' I'm familiar with that one - along with the rest of the V-Rods.

Looked at one in Phoenix a couple years ago, I can't remember the price other than it was HUGE.

xl%2B2007_Harley-Davidson_VRSCDX_Night_Rod_Special_right_front.jpg

I'm not a fan of the flat black from a can of Krylon look....

There was one V-Rod (Street Rod?) that had rear set pegs that I prefer, I was tempted.

Problem is, the bikes are just so small.

I would look like a bear on a bicycle.

I ride my brother in law's 2003 1200 Anniversary Sportster now and then, he laughs his *** off.

I'm 6'2" and nearly 300 pounds....

The bigger Harley bikes are just styled all wrong for my tastes.

The V-Rod concept is right up my alley, but I was wondering when somebody would do that with the big air-cooled motors.

Maybe if Buell did a V-Rod.....

:-)

1980-rd350lc.jpg

In the eighties, I had a Honda V-65 Sabre - brutally fast and I owned the streets for a few months until a buddy bought the new V-Max. Anyhow, we were the Speed Kings in town until we met a guy riding one of those two-stroke 350's.

Holy Cow!

They were so light, with all that power he could jump ahead of us and we could barely catch him.

I rode it a few times, almost spooky with all that peaky power.

Archived