Gibson Brands Forums

Super speedy or a Cruiser?

Rockin365

In the eighties' date=' I had a Honda V-65 Sabre - brutally fast and I owned the streets for a few months until a buddy bought the new V-Max. Anyhow, we were the Speed Kings in town until we met a guy riding one of those two-stroke 350's.

Holy Cow!

They were so light, with all that power he could jump ahead of us and we could barely catch him.

I rode it a few times, almost spooky with all that peaky power.

[/quote']

The lc was an untamable beast it was all or nothing until some spoilsport invented the 'power-valve' [-o<(

They just dont make em like they used to.

These YPVS F1s were awesome. The idea went bad with the YPVS F2 because they gave the motor more mid-range, and capped the revs off at around 9.5K. It just changed the character completely. I tried a tuned YPVS F1, and it was a real Jekyll and Hyde beast - there was no power below 6 thousand, but when it came in you had to hang on for dear life. I used to tune LC250 / 350s with skimmed heads and modified ports and timimg etc, but this was something else !

http://www.vintagebike.co.uk/Bike%20Directories/Yamaha%20Bikes/pages/Yamaha-RD350-F1.htm

I rode a few ypvs 350's and know what you mean about the f1's they had much the same feel as the lc's.

I felt that the powervalve ruined the fun of the bike. With the f1's and the original lc's if you slipped the clutch till you got

into the powerband they were a missile from the off.

I could so go and buy one right now... I can smell it... mmmmm 2stroke silkolene race oil.

I remember some of the lads using sunflora vegtable oil instead, they used to smell like mobile chip shops! lol :-)

Archived