Gibson Brands Forums

L - 2 cir. 1930?

Hello All,

I am seeking info on a "L - 2" that I have. Well, I think it is an "L - 2"

It has some unsusual details on it that conflict it's date.

Ser. # 9630 with head that reads " The Gibson" and it is not on an angle. Further, it has an ornate peril inlay that is about 3 inches long on the head. It is a small body with gold trim around the full top body as well as the sound hole.

Any help to I.D. it's age etc... greatly appreciated.

Chalkie

• 4 years later...

You can check this website for more info on Gibsons in general, and hopefully you can find some info there.

http://home.provide.net/~cfh/gibson6.html#l2

It says the straight "The Gibson" logo was only standard from '29-'34, but depending on the model could be used as early as '09. I believe only the '31 model had the sparkle trim, as the trim was discontinued in '32, and afterwards, only said "Gibson" with no "The." Also, Gibson started re-numbering serial numbers towards the end of 1931, so the beginning part of the year, they were numbered up to 9999, and then started again at 1 and only went up to 890 through 1932. Given all the evidence, I think that you have a 1931 Gibson L-2. If you would like to double check, there should be a Factory Order Number (FON) on stamped on the neckblock inside the body of the guitar. It can double confirm the date, but like I said, given all the evidence, it is almost certain you have a very nice collectable 1931 Gibson L-2!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived