Gibson Brands Forums

Revel in thy jobs; fro tomorrow it may be for not

Homz

Homz,

The uncertainty and fear in your situation suck...I feel for you. I've been laid off twice and I've worked for at least 3 start up technology companies that have been acquired by larger companies...each time resulting in me getting a package and a new notch on my resume. Each time I had to find another job, a couple of times I changed career paths. I can't complain about any of it...I've always been able to find a better job, my family and I have been able to live in different parts of the country and make a lot of friends in the process.

You are a smart guy with a great resume, you have experience in the nucular field and your still young enough to adapt...You know that changes are coming at Chrysler, you have time to find something you'll like better and that you'll be even more successful at. Get busy looking for your new dream job. There are a lot of opportunities available to people with your skills.

The only down side to your situation, is that if you have to move to another state, you might have a hard time blending in with the general population.

Sorry about the bad luck, brother. It's a scary time for a lot of us right now. My wife and I are looking at houses, and it's crazy that in such uncertain times people are being encouraged to keep making big financial decisions. My wife works at a bank, and every couple of months or so she gets word from the higher-ups that they may have to trim the fat to stay successful. I worked at a paper mill for a while, and even then there was talk of a shrinking market. Once I got certified in everything that was available to me, I made it to the next pay scale and got a card from management saying that they couldn't afford me anymore. I talked to everyone from my department manager to the manager of the entire plant, and told them I'd stay at the same pay scale, but because of the union contract, they legally couldn't let me keep my old salary. I used what I had saved to cover my relocating expenses and a year of college, and found another job to pay for the rest of my education. There were times when it wasn't glamorous, and really it still isn't. But I came to the realization that work is just a place to get a paycheck. It's what you come home to that really counts, and from what I've gathered here on the forum, you have something really good. You and your wife seem educated enough. I'm sure you'll be alright.

I grew up in my family's oilfield business, learned how to operate all kinds of BIG equipment as a kid.

Became a crane operator doing oilfield work, then went into refineries and chemical plants for maintenance outages.

Got my pilot's license and paid for it myself since the military wouldn't have me. Couldn't snag a flying job....

Got off cranes and went to work in a chemical plant making ethylene oxide and glycols.

Got out of that due to the explosive danger and went to work in a refinery.

Quit that in the middle of a blowout divorce (talk about life-changing....) and went back on cranes for a couple years.

Went to work building a new gas turbine powerplant in Arizona, commissioned it and operated it for 5 years.

Applied at a nuke on a whim and got the job.

Many of my friends over the years dreamed of getting a "good job" while I've had several - even in a bad economy.

If a company is hiring only one person, that means you have a chance. They have to hire somebody.....

I got hired for a couple jobs where no vacancy even existed.

They simply hired me thinking I could do much for the company, and I made my own niche.

I skipped the want ads, everybody gets the same newspaper.

I simply went to the businesses in my area that I liked and got to know them.

Success is possible.

I'm not sure about real career work, but as far as minimum wagin' student jobs here in Canada things dont seem to have changed all that much. I'm actually going in for a few interviews tomorrow at golf courses and grocery stores around town next week. Need to start saving up for next years tuition, and that SG faded bass that just came out for super cheap.

I work at a steel mill where our customers are filing bankrupcy left and right. One of our biggest was Senco, who make nail guns. We supply the steel rod used to make nails. They just went belly up.

The uncertainty and fear in your situation suck...I feel for you. I've been laid off twice and I've worked for at least 3 start up technology companies that have been acquired by larger companies...each time resulting in me getting a package and a new notch on my resume. Each time I had to find another job' date=' a couple of times I changed career paths. I can't complain about any of it...I've always been able to find a better job, my family and I have been able to live in different parts of the country and make a lot of friends in the process.[/quote']

+1 I've been down a similar road. When one door closes, another one opens. You might be out of work for a while but with a good set of skills you'll eventually find something better.

Archived