Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Explorer advice

amyjhill

Hi

I’m looking at getting some advice. I’ve been playing guitar for almost 18 months and I have a Fender Strat, Jaguar and Telecaster.

I have been looking at the Gibson Explorer but I’m only short (5’1) and I don’t know if they are too big. 

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hi Amy, Welcome!

It’s kinda hard to tell for sure but my guess is the dimensions would be okay ergonomically, they can be fun to play… but they also can be  2-3 lbs heavier than your Jaguar or Tele.  A well placed strap button will help with balance and avoid neck dive.  Any nearby you can heft?  And if the full size really doesn’t work for you, there have been special smaller versions made over the years.   

Hm. You should try one if possible, but if you can play a Strat with its longer scale length, I can't imagine an Explorer would be a problem. And they're very comfortable, both standing up and sitting. I think it'll be fine.

Posted (edited)

Electric bodies aren’t quite the same as an acoustic body

a large acoustic could be for some hard to play.

electrics for the most part have settled into two basic neck scales . So once a guitar is slung on a strap the neck should fall pretty much in the “right” spot regardless of body shape/Size. 
long scale baritone guitars would be harder to play

Edited by Eracer_Team

17 minutes ago, amyjhill said:

Thanks for the help! I’m planning on popping into my local store and having a go on one to see how it feels before making any decisions on whether to buy one

That's the best route, and really the only way to see if it's for you. I'll bet you will like it 😃

Thanks everyone! I’ve looked at the body dimensions and it’s not that much bigger than my Jaguar. I’m going to go and try one and get saving if it works for me! 

• Like 1

Hi Amy,

I had one for a while. I found it to be vey well balanced and easy to play sitting down. Standing up not so much. My major issues were lack of upper fret access and the size of the case. If you are used to playing high up on the neck with your Strat, you will find the Explorer to be limited. And the case was so long it didn't fit into the trunk of my car and had to go in the back seat. I bought it because I always loved the look and still do. Definitely go and try one if you can find one. Good luck.

7 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Best balancing on any guitar ever made. Plus they are rock and roll machines. I had one.

GmX8KO9.jpg

Really disappointed that you let the couch go bro. Arg.....🙃

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

🙃

3 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

No it’s gone. My wife was not a fan of it. I still have the wife. Mmmmm

There is a joke in there, but, you're right. I ain't goin there either. Families are always off limits. Respect bro. Teasing. 🙃

Edited by CROWB8

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, SteveFord said:

That's a couch?  I thought it was an Explorer case.

They are the biggest guitar cases ever made. It fits a guitar and a family of 3 plus a modest size dog.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

19 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

They are the biggest guitar cases ever made. It fits a guitar and a family of 3 plus a modest size dog.

And it obviously made any guitar look fantastic. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 'Scales said:

THE COUCH!!!!!
…saw more guitars than most couches ever saw butts. [woot]

It was my go to picture spot when I had the legendary gold couch.

On 5/30/2024 at 5:23 PM, CROWB8 said:

And it obviously made any guitar look fantastic. 

I have a feeling I’m going to be disappointed when I go to try one! Damn my vertical challenges

1 hour ago, amyjhill said:

I have a feeling I’m going to be disappointed when I go to try one! Damn my vertical challenges

Keep a positive attitude.....I think you will like it. Curious.....are do you plan on playing sitting down or standing?

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, amyjhill said:

Carrying monster cases… That’s what roadies are for.  

Edited by PrairieDog