Gibson Brands Forums

Truss rod

Zema

hello everything is fine? I have a 2007 Lespaul GT model, but its truss rod  has an allen key screw. Can you tell me if this model has been changed? Because all the Gibson truss rod I saw were always threaded with nuts, was the pattern always like this? thanks

• 1 month later...

Hello,

It's not uncommon for Gibson to vary truss rod designs over the years. The 2007 Les Paul GT model with an Allen key screw isn't necessarily unusual; Gibson has used different truss rod configurations depending on the model and year.

The only variation I’ve ever seen was on a ‘94 Dove I flipped. I don’t even remember what the adjustment consisted of but it wasn’t the standard brass nut or any type of hex key. I may have shut it out of my mind because I didn’t get a good vibe from it at the time. 

4 hours ago, adam888 said:

Hello,

It's not uncommon for Gibson to vary truss rod designs over the years. The 2007 Les Paul GT model with an Allen key screw isn't necessarily unusual; Gibson has used different truss rod configurations depending on the model and year.

Do you have a good source for this?  Besides guitars you’ve owned?  The canon says Gibson has always had very specific TR set ups and a hinky configuration is one of the easier ways to spot a possible fake. If what you are saying is true, it is putting a whole lot of history/conventional thought upside down.  

Edited by PrairieDog