Gibson Brands Forums

Would you shy away from a "CME" spec 59 Murphy Lab Les Paul?

rpavich

Hi,

I'm still researching my "retirement" guitar, a 59 Murphy Lab Les Paul and have recently realized that there are several different iterations that are custom to certain shops..."wildwood" and one I've just recently seen is "Chicago Music Exchange" or "CME" specs.

As far as I can tell, finish options aside...the difference between a CME and a regular Murphy are the pickups. They are "Custom S Buckers" that are underwound and unpotted, both pups are 7.3k rather than the neck being something like 7.4k and the bridge being about 8k (and NOT potted) in a regular Murphy lab version.

I also just noticed that they are chambered...this one is 7lb 1 oz.

Would this put you off a purchase?

Is this too far away from the "goal" Les Paul's specs?

Here is one that I'm staring at..it's great guitar in all respects...it looks great...just the right finish i'm looking for...the neck is UNDER .900" which I love....but the pups are the underwounds...

https://reverb.com/item/82588242-gibson-gibson-custom-murphy-lab-59-les-paul-standard-cme-spec-ultra-light-aged-dirty-lemon

Edited by rpavich

Great looking guitar! Only thing that turns me off about it is that it’s a “relic”, but that’s a matter of taste I guess

one of the pics shows it on a scale weighing 9lbs 3.75oz and it would seem odd that a 59 reissue would be chambered 🤔 

I have a wildwood R9 and the pickups are supposed to be slightly different custombuckers. I don’t know what the actual difference is, whether it’s a different magnet or amount of windings or something. I’m guessing that whatever they choose is representative of something you’d find in an original 59 Les Paul. 

1 hour ago, Dub-T-123 said:

Great looking guitar! Only thing that turns me off about it is that it’s a “relic”, but that’s a matter of taste I guess

one of the pics shows it on a scale weighing 9lbs 3.75oz and it would seem odd that a 59 reissue would be chambered 🤔 

I have a wildwood R9 and the pickups are supposed to be slightly different custombuckers. I don’t know what the actual difference is, whether it’s a different magnet or amount of windings or something. I’m guessing that whatever they choose is representative of something you’d find in an original 59 Les Paul. 

I don't mind that it's a relic...I'd even like a bit more tarnish but I get your point of view.
The specs say 7Lb 1oz and I didn't see a picture of a scale...I don't think I missed it.

Edited to add: I talked to the guitar guy at CME...it's that light...its' not chambered...just a very light piece of wood. 🙂 woo hoo

Edited by rpavich

My R9 is the best LP I have. Mine is around 8lbs with a type of cherry burst that was around in 2019. Custombuckers are great pickups too. Overall should expect fit and finish to be great with this one you’re getting. Personally, I don’t want to get a relic but it definitely doesn’t look bad with your R9. I am in the camp of self relicing but starting off with the one you’re getting isn’t that bad. Congrats I hope it gives you many years of enjoyment! Real nice guitar 👍

• Like 1

Ok...NGD report.

The guitar is awesome looking and the quality of the build and finishing is really top notch...all Les Paul's should be this way 🙂

Now...having said that, I was surprised at how low output the pickups were. They are purposely underwound, both of them measure 7.3K ohms. I'm used to higher output pickups and that was a little bit of a shock...I had to add  boost in front of the amp to get the same breakup as I'm used to.

Also, they are less "smeary"...more defined. They keep their clarity much better than other Les Paul's that I've played...again...this is not bad or good but just much different than I'm used to. I'd say that they neck pickup is like a modern bridge pickup in terms of "less muddy" if that makes sense. I've never had a neck pickup that was that clear and not boomy right out of the gate. Normally the balance between neck and bridge is more of a problem but these are more similar...both very clear. and they clean up VERY FAST with the volume knob...again...much different than I'm used to....normally I'd have to roll the volume to 5 or 6 before it's clean and clear but on this guitar...by 8.5 its' clean. My other LPS used Burstbuckers and 498T and 490R

EDITED TO ADD: OK...realized that if I throw a boss GE7 in front and slightly boost the mids and the level I can get a regular more "dirty-biting" PAF sound...turning it off yields a cleaner, more "tele-like" PAF sound...I'm liking this now that I'm getting used to it.

I had to adjust the intonation even though the shop said that they do a full set up, it wasn't spot on.

So, it's taking some getting used to but I'm happy

Edited by rpavich