Gibson Brands Forums

What to do with the neglected?

Silverbursted

Yea there really is a different feel to the Les Paul. Without a doubt they are the best feeling and sounding guitars around. So here is my dilemma, I have a very nice 08 American Strat that just frustrates the hell out of me because I'm all thumbs when I play her. I find I can get Hendrix and Clapton just fine with my lester and a whaa pedal (good enough for me anyway).

What do you think, should I keep her because every guitarist should have a Strat. Or just capitulate and sell in favor of another Les Paul?

Who has a guitar in their arsenal that just does not cut it for you anymore?

(I posted this same question at MLP, just curious what the response will be here)

I went through the same thing when I first bought a Strat. Play both guitars regularly and you'll eventually get used to the Strat and have no problem switching back and forth between the the two.

You'll regret selling it.

Trust me!

Your moods change with the seasons, you'll come back to it at some point.

My 3 Strats alternate between collecting dust in the cabinet and sitting on the rack by my amp for weeks at a time.

No matter what else you own, gotta have a good Strat in the arsenal!

I have 5 guitars (including a Strat), but I never play anything but my Epi LP Stndrd, and the other ones just collect dust. It is true what they say about LPs though, onece you start playing them, they basically become an extension of your arm.

I think that's true of any guitar. If you continue to favor one over all the others, the others start to feel strange. I was waaaaay into my Strat for over a year and would just pick up any of the others once in a while then I went through a thing with my Tele for a while, I've been mainly playing my LP for the past couple of months and today I hauled out my SG Jr. for the first time in months and I'm really into that at the moment. Mix 'em up regularly and they'll all feel good.

SB, I'm the same way...all thumbs when it comes to playing a Strat. Mine's also an American Standard.

It sounds sweet but I find the neck too small/slim and don't like where the middle pickup is.

I do play it, though...and that might be the difference between you and I.

If I own a guitar and don't play it, I sell it and put the money towards a guitar that I will play.

The good news is, if you do decide to sell it, you'll never have any difficulty finding another Strat.

Or, what you could do is tune it down and stick it under the bed for 5 years. I'm assuming it's already paid for and Strats aren't that much money to begin with, right? It's $1,000...big deal. And this way, you still have the option of playing it from time to time. You should also be able to sell it in 5 years time for more than you paid for it.

I'm with RichCI...

I have three electric guitars (and a couple of acoustics)... I have a Fender MIJ 1992 strat, Samick Valley Art Design guitar and a Gibson Les Paul Standard.

Before buying my Gibson, I mostly played the Samick... This guitar has a Ibanez kind of low action on the strings. This guitar doesn't really suit me this well any more, since I have been mostly playing my Gibson. I can however easily switch to my strat as this doesn't really vary that much from my Gibson...

I might want to get the action on the Samick a little higher in time... to fit my chubby fingers a little better :-

What do you think' date=' should I keep her because every guitarist should have a Strat. Or just capitulate and sell in favor of another Les Paul?

Who has a guitar in their arsenal that just does not cut it for you anymore?

(I posted this same question at MLP, just curious what the response will be here)[/quote']

While I can't tell you what to do :-k I went through the same a while ago (and think I'm still trying to get over it).

My lester feels and sounds just perfect, so I find myself not using any of the others... I ended up selling some of them, (which would be my advice) still thinking about selling the rest... I don't feel good having stuff I don't use.

Now buying another les paul might be worst... you would end with 2 great guitars and wanting to decide which one is better :-

I sincerely hope you figure it out soon (so you can help me too)

The only electric I had until a few years ago was my Sonex. Going to a Les Paul from a Sonex was easy. Then I got the Strat. I do understand what you mean about it. No amount of playing was going to prepare me for that darn middle pickup, which always seemed to get in my way. Also, getting pinch harmonics from a Strat was a lot harder for me than from a Les Paul. What I did was play a lot of Van Halen tunes as well as songs like Rush's Limelight and Digital Man, which forced me to use the whammy bar. Then I found other songs that felt better to play on the Strat, like Satriani's Midnight (the lower action on the Strat made it easier to play). The Les Paul still feels more comfortable but at the same time I can't do without my Strat now...

R9 hit it on the head. I take her out to play every so often, but it always feels like its an obligation. There really is nothing special about a Strat, they are inexpensive, and are in almost every guitar shop around.

The consensus from both this thread and the one at MLP is about 80% sell, 15% keep her and learn to love it, and about 5% stuff her in her case and shove it under the bed.

Well folks, keep an eye out on Evil-Bay for a 2008 American Strat. I'll make forum members a sweet deal if anyone is interested.

Hope that helps you out Thunder.

I've owned three different strats, and the only one I really liked playing had a V neck. Too bad that one belonged to a friend who would not sell it.

I don't own one now, and don't have plans or the urge to get one. I would have to build it to my specs to be happy with it, and I just don't care for one enough to do that.

Now buying another les paul might be worst... you would end with 2 great guitars and wanting to decide which one is better ](*' date=') [/quote']

You mean better...

Thunder, how many guitars do you have and which ones are you considering selling?

Now buying another les paul might be worst... you would end with 2 great guitars and wanting to decide which one is better ](*

I sincerely hope you figure it out soon (so you can help me too)[/quote']

2 Les Pauls??? Passed that up a while ago. Hehehehe

My goal is to have a harem of guitars that I love equally, to me its a journey. One day I'll have that just right set. I'm getting closer though.

I'm down to 6 right now (I thought I was down to 5 but then I remembered that horrible Ibanez S470 thing that has been stored in it's case for years).

I'm considering selling that ibanez, the strat (USA standard) and the les paul studio, that also haven't been used at all since I got it (got it used from a friend, in exchange for some studio equipment, and I don't really like used stuff, so I was hoping it would get used in the studio but it hasn't even been cleaned up and restrung yet...).

(Im considering having a lulthier build a guitar to my specs tho... and am considering buying another tele](*,) damnit it never ends!)

I'm down to 6 right now (I thought I was down to 5 but then I remembered that horrible Ibanez S470 thing that has been stored in it's case for years).

I'm considering selling that ibanez' date=' the strat (USA standard) and the les paul studio, that also haven't been used at all since I got it (got it used from a friend, in exchange for some studio equipment, and I don't really like used stuff, so I was hoping it would get used in the studio but it hasn't even been cleaned up and restrung yet...).

(Im considering having a lulthier build a guitar to my specs tho... and am considering buying another tele](*,) damnit it never ends!)

Sounds as if you are in the same boat. I think it's pointless to hoard gear that is unused. I think there is always someone out there that can use and enjoy our neglected. Might as well sell it or donate it and get something that is useful to you.

Archived