Gibson Brands Forums

MICHAEL SCHENKER - Mother Mary feat. SLASH & ERIK GRÖNWALL

Rabs

Big thumbs up for Michael Schenker re-doing his "UFO" years. Spectacular rythm & solo guitar on those albums, but for some reason "underrated" or even "under-appreciated". I think he was fired for "doing drugs" in 1978 or there about. I do not know him from later years.

Applause to Slash and all the others appearing on this album.

Last question:
I wonder if there was or will be a Michael Schenker signature Flying-V? 😎

Edited by OrdinaryNimda
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, OrdinaryNimda said:

Big thumbs up for Michael Schenker re-doing his "UFO" years. Spectacular rythm & solo guitar on those albums, but for some reason "underrated" or even "under-appreciated". I think he was fired for "doing drugs" in 1978 or there about. I do not know him from later years.

Applause to Slash and all the others appearing on this album.

Last question:
I wonder if there was or will be a Michael Schenker signature Flying-V? 😎

He formed the Michael Shenker Group (MSG) after that.  I saw them once or twice.  Really fantastic.  Regarding the video above, did that sound like Phil Mogg on vocals?  The whole track sounded nearly identical to the original.  

Re the V: no idea, but I had a buddy back in ‘78 who had a Tee shirt that said “Michael Shenker is God” and was totally psyched when he scored an identical medallion series V as the one Michael was playing 😄 

Edited by PrairieDog
  • Like 1

I saw Michael a few years back. It was killer. He talked s- hit all night about how terrible a guitarist his brother is, and how the Scorps didn’t give him credit for some of his contributions on albums he played on and stuff he wrote.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I saw Michael a few years back. It was killer. He talked s- hit all night about how terrible a guitarist his brother is, and how the Scorps didn’t give him credit for some of his contributions on albums he played on and stuff he wrote.

I met Michael at the Rainbow back in the mid 1980's and he was one of the biggest pricks I ever met. I remember it well I was working for Geffen at the time and I was start struck a bit by this tall dude with a Duran Duran style hairdoo.... He sat with us as we was good friends Michael Sweet (very cool dude btw).  All he could do was bag on American Girls the whole night. I tried to talk to him about his rig, and every time he would say, "after you buy me another round." After about an hour of it I couldn't stand it and went over and hung out with my pals from Plain Jane. 

Every time I hear a UFO tune the term a-hole comes to mind........... But ya he's a killer guitar player.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, duane v said:

I met Michael at the Rainbow back in the mid 1980's and he was one of the biggest pricks I ever met. I remember it well I was working for Geffen at the time and I was start struck a bit by this tall dude with a Duran Duran style hairdoo.... He sat with us as we was good friends Michael Sweet (very cool dude btw).  All he could do was bag on American Girls the whole night. I tried to talk to him about his rig, and every time he would say, "after you buy me another round." After about an hour of it I couldn't stand it and went over and hung out with my pals from Plain Jane. 

Every time I hear a UFO tune the term a-hole comes to mind........... But ya he's a killer guitar player.

It’s always a bummer when someone you think you want to know turns out to be a disappointment.  Taints everything else around ‘em.  

2 hours ago, duane v said:

I think he sober now. Back then he was a huge drunk from what I heard.