Gibson Brands Forums

Now, this Hummingbird True Vintage looks interesting . . .

Beautiful early 2010's Hummingbird True Vintage on the AGF classifieds.  .  . Bozeman and Ren had really come into their stride during these years.

Pickguard hints that this Hummingbird has had light use. And of course, an often -encountered question with these - what happened to the original tan case?

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=687514

No affiliation, just a fan.

Edited by 62burst
  • Upvote 1

The TV Bird as we admire & adore it - it's one guitar I'd like to hear'n'try.

Probably from 2011.

Edited by E-minor7
  • Like 1

Like seller says - near mint. P/G looks perfect: No on board electronics.   Thin, translucent and engraved and hand painted. Greenish Tulip tuners, Engraved torque Rod Cover $3K is a bargain for one of these. The quintessential  "If you could only have one." .    IN fact, the only guitar I'd consider having two of ! 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Like seller says - near mint. P/G looks perfect: No on board electronics.   Thin, translucent and engraved and hand painted. Greenish Tulip tuners, Engraved torque Rod Cover $3K is a bargain for one of these. The quintessential  "If you could only have one." .    IN fact, the only guitar I'd consider having two of ! 

Yes, 'makes me consider Hummingbird redundancy. The first photo in the panel shows some fine cross-silking to the grain. Before I looked more closely, originally thought (hoped) it was Sitka.

Considering the era in Bozeman it comes from, and it's condition, the guitar has some collectibility to it. It was posted here (with the seller's ok) so that it might save me from personally giving it a new home.

Edited by 62burst

44 minutes ago, 62burst said:

Before I looked more closely, originally thought (hoped) it was Sitka.

Could it be anything else ?   :-s

44 minutes ago, 62burst said:

It was posted here (with the seller's ok) so that it might save me from personally giving it a new home.

Eeeh, the logical structures here go over my head - might be the heat. . 

7 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Could it be anything else ?   :-s

'Thought it looked more like Adirondack, as it seemed to have stronger grain lines. But maybe I was distracted by the excellent cross-grain silking in this photo:

lOXRCq4.jpg

7 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Posting the for sale link here barely had anything to do with logic- and more to do with how the economy was affecting my Guitar Fund. Maybe someone here feels more optimistic in that respect than I.

2 hours ago, 62burst said:

'Thought it looked more like Adirondack, as it seemed to have stronger grain lines. But maybe I was distracted by the excellent cross-grain silking in this photo:

lOXRCq4.jpg

Posting the for sale link here barely had anything to do with logic- and more to do with how the economy was affecting my Guitar Fund. Maybe someone here feels more optimistic in that respect than I.

I see, , , potential Bird-GAS can come seeping from any crack.

Did they ever have adirondack. . .  

2 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

I see, , , potential Bird-GAS can come seeping from any crack.

Did they ever have adirondack. . .  

Yes, when I was researching for my bird, I came across an edition that was adi.  But I can’t remember which one.  However, when I looked this one up, Reverb described it as Sitka.  But take that with …. “A grain….”

I thought it looked like adi too, and even pondered it for a moment.  Dang if I’m not still bonding with the one I just got… (which btw, for those who followed my J-45/Bird shaggy dog saga, I am won over 😊

1 hour ago, PrairieDog said:

Yes, when I was researching for my bird, I came across an edition that was adi.  But I can’t remember which one.  However, when I looked this one up, Reverb described it as Sitka.  But take that with …. “A grain….”

I thought it looked like adi too, and even pondered it for a moment.  Dang if I’m not still bonding with the one I just got… (which btw, for those who followed my J-45/Bird shaggy dog saga, I am won over 😊

If there's 1 there are probably more.

https://reverb.com/en-fr/item/81213853-gibson-hummingbird-early-60-s-golden-era-adirondack-vos-073

Think they may be in a group of 'spezials' though.

On 6/26/2024 at 3:00 AM, 62burst said:

lOXRCq4.jpg

Looks very similar to my Hummingbird 1960 Fixed Bridge, which also has the same straight grain lines and silking (it’s Sitka).  If the guitar in the OP’s ad plays and sounds like my guitar (it should) someone is in for a treat.  H0C1M1q.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Silversurfer said:

Looks very similar to my Hummingbird 1960 Fixed Bridge, which also has the same straight grain lines and silking (it’s Sitka).  

Excellent looking top, bridge and 'burst- more of a deeper color to it.

And my TV has a third shade  -  not as much dark vs light - more consistently in between.  Color of an unfiltered Camel.  Gibson hit it out of the park with this variation of the model. (of course, I'm biased😀).   While conventional wisdom statues the J45 is the go-to for singer/songwriters - to me, the H'Bird is more adept at sitting and singing.  Quieter and more balanced - you can hear your own singing.  Of course, being without a pickup/electronics on board, that's what you would hope for.  Sitting in a quiet corner on a worn leather couch trying to tweak a song for your own ears.   As the 2nd Amendment guys say  "They'll have to pry it from my cold, dead hands."  !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fortyearspickn said:

And my TV has a third shade  -  not as much dark vs light - more consistently in between.  Color of an unfiltered Camel.  Gibson hit it out of the park with this variation of the model. (of course, I'm biased😀).   While conventional wisdom statues the J45 is the go-to for singer/songwriters - to me, the H'Bird is more adept at sitting and singing.  Quieter and more balanced - you can hear your own singing.  Of course, being without a pickup/electronics on board, that's what you would hope for.  Sitting in a quiet corner on a worn leather couch trying to tweak a song for your own ears.   As the 2nd Amendment guys say  "They'll have to pry it from my cold, dead hands."  !

Agree the Hummingbird is fantastic to really listen to, ,  and feel for that matter.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Especially with the (re-introduced?) Gibson Masterbuilt 80/20s after they fade a bit - WOW.

I'm sure we have seen your Bird before, but you should post it again. New spectators drop by and learn all the time.

Here's Board-member bobby b's Bird in 2012. Wonder how and where it is today. 

ptrjr05.jpg

1 of my fav-bursts.

• Like 1

Just now, E-minor7 said:

Agree the Hummingbird is fantastic to really listen to, ,  and feel for that matter.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Especially with the (re-introduced?) Gibson Masterbuilt 80/20s after they fade a bit - WOW.

I'm sure we have seen your Bird before, but you should post it again. New spectators drop by and learn all the time.

Here's Board-member bobby b's Bird in 2012. Wonder how and where it is today. 

ptrjr05.jpg

1 of my fav-bursts.

Yep,  I can’t get enough of seeing other folks guitars. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Nodding emphatically.  As I’m getting know my “on trial” Hummingbird (I was initially disappointed didn’t sound like a bigger J-45 😆) I totally agree.  Used to be with a song coming on, I’d just switch up between my DIF, the L1, the Studio J-45, or a couple of the Taylors.  Didn’t make much difference, they all worked “fine” so I just went with the feeling I wanted.  Now my hand just goes right to that ‘bird every time I want to sing.  I guess I probably should stop referring to it as the on trial Hummer. It appears to be staying put 😄

Edited by PrairieDog
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, PrairieDog said:

Nodding emphatically.  As I’m getting know my “on trial” Hummingbird (I was initially disappointed didn’t sound like a bigger J-45 😆) I totally agree.  Used to be with a song coming on, I’d just switch up between my DIF, the L1, the Studio J-45, or a couple of the Taylors.  Didn’t make much difference, they all worked “fine” so I just went with the feeling I wanted.  Now my hand just goes right to that ‘bird every time I want to sing.  I guess I probably should stop referring to it as the on trial Hummer. It appears to be staying put 😄

Good news ^ look forward to hear'n'see more. 

• Like 1