Gibson Brands Forums

Low frets on Les Paul Studio

V1ctorius

Hey Folks,

I have just received my brand new Les Paul Studio. I am very happy with the guitar except...

Frets seem to be rather low. Compared to my Epiphone Slash LP, that also has medium jumbo frets, the Gibson is uncomfortable to play when I do bends. On my Epiphone, it is very smooth, but on the Gibson the tip of my fingers rub the fretboard which on the one hand feels annoying, on the other hands makes playing more difficult. 

From a closer look, the frets seem to be flat rather than round. 

Two weeks ago I bought a Les Paul Tribute - that had the same issue but was even worse. I sent it back and asked for the refund. 

It bugs me because when I spend 1700 EUR on a brand new guitar, I expect that to be totally comfortable.  I don't want the feeling of " I love my Gibson, it is beautiful, sound great, but.."

Do you think crowning the frets would help? 

It seems that plekked frets are not my cup of tea. 

I have various other guitars, none has this kind of fret issue. 

I'm really disappointed because I did want a Gibson (that would be my first ever) but this may be the dealbreaker for me. 

Seems to me that you are more used to the Epi frets than the Gibson,  it's just the way they are. 

it has nothing to do with the money spent.

it has everything to do with your personal preference.  did you not get a chance to play any USA made Gibson prior to ordering one?

Edited by kidblast

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, kidblast said:

Seems to me that you are more used to the Epi frets than the Gibson,  it's just the way they are. 

it has nothing to do with the money spent.

it has everything to do with your personal preference.  did you not get a chance to play any USA made Gibson prior to ordering one?

I did play a Classic, it did not feel right. I also played a 2012 Studio - it was all okay.  I tried a 2017 Tribute, that was okay as well. 

I don't know if it is preference or experience. Neither of my 6 other guitars have this issue. A Fender, a PRS, an LTD, a Schecter, an Epiphone and a Harley Benton. 

If it is the way they are, then Gibson will not be for me. 😞 

Edited by V1ctorius

1 hour ago, V1ctorius said:

I did play a Classic, it did not feel right. I also played a 2012 Studio - it was all okay.  I tried a 2017 Tribute, that was okay as well. 

I don't know if it is preference or experience. Neither of my 6 other guitars have this issue. A Fender, a PRS, an LTD, a Schecter, an Epiphone and a Harley Benton. 

yea  I'm so sorry this does not seem to work out for you. 

A les paul is pretty much all I need, and want to play.  But what you are feeling, it's totally believable.  I've had to move on from plenty of guitars that just were not "right" for me.

One was a Fender custom shop 57 stratocaster.   It was beautiful and it sounded like no other strat I've ever played.

But, as it was a 57 reissue, it had a lacquered maple neck and very thin frets,  we just never bonded.

I kept it for a few years, but it sat in the case quite a lot.   The happy ending was trading it for a really nice 2002 Les Paul Standard Cherry burst, with an AAA top and Slim Taper neck

I play the heck out of that one, and I don't miss the '57 even though as custom shop strats go, that one was a prize.

I just got a new 50's Standard (Gold Top) with a 50s neck.  It is identical in feel to my 1995 Standard.  We took off running right away.  I love it.

Maybe give it some time, see if you can adjust before you move away from it.

1 hour ago, V1ctorius said:

None of those other 6 guitars have anything to do with your recent purchase, cause they are all different makers. You don’t compare a Tesla to a Honda, Toyota, Ford and Chevy when you’re in the market for a Tesla. All are different and it’s pointless.

Like KB said, maybe give it some time before giving up,  it may just be a matter of technique adjustment.  Also, what gauge are the strings? Try lighter?  Maybe you don’t actually need to smash down as hard as you feel like you should to bend?  It doesn’t take much effort at all for me to bend strings on my Lucille.  I realize that’s not a LP but it’s still Gibson neck and frets.  And people bend strings on fretless instruments, so I don’t entirely buy it’s all just because of low frets.  Gibson’s are known for being pretty responsive, so perhaps you are just over-modulating how hard you think you need to attack the strings. After all, It’s not like nobody has ever been able to bend a string on a Gibson LP. Or maybe, you just like other guitars. Nothing wrong with that.  

6 hours ago, PrairieDog said:

Like KB said, maybe give it some time before giving up,  it may just be a matter of technique adjustment.  Also, what gauge are the strings? Try lighter?  Maybe you don’t actually need to smash down as hard as you feel like you should to bend?  It doesn’t take much effort at all for me to bend strings on my Lucille.  I realize that’s not a LP but it’s still Gibson neck and frets.  And people bend strings on fretless instruments, so I don’t entirely buy it’s all just because of low frets.  Gibson’s are known for being pretty responsive, so perhaps you are just over-modulating how hard you think you need to attack the strings. After all, It’s not like nobody has ever been able to bend a string on a Gibson LP. Or maybe, you just like other guitars. Nothing wrong with that.  

I'm not saying my technique is perfect. I am a novice player, started to play 2,5 years ago. But truth is that I use the very same technique on all other guitars and I have no issue at all. 

I'm not saying this guitar is broken, because it is beautiful and like how it sounds. But I feel that I have paid for a Tesla and driving a Chevy - to use Sgt. Pepper's simile. 

4 hours ago, SteveFord said:

Some years  have higher frets than others,  there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it.

This does not help, though. A medium jumbo should be a medium jumbo, not mediumish or slighlty medium. 😄 

7 hours ago, V1ctorius said:

I'm not saying my technique is perfect. I am a novice player, started to play 2,5 years ago. But truth is that I use the very same technique on all other guitars and I have no issue at all. 

I'm not saying this guitar is broken, because it is beautiful and like how it sounds. But I feel that I have paid for a Tesla and driving a Chevy - to use Sgt. Pepper's simile. 

And what I’m saying is different instruments sometimes NEED different techniques.  A Steinway grand does not play the same as a Kimball upright.  But if you change up how you play the Kimball you will be rewarded with the sound and response of the Steinway.  You are complaining a freshly baked French baguette doesn’t chew like a loaf of Wonderbread, for another analogy.  But once again, if you don’t like chewy/crunchy baguettes, you don’t need to eat them. Nobody here can fix that for you.  

I’ll go ahead and suggest you could take it in to see about a proper set-up. Heck you can even get different frets. But you are already complaining about the cost even though guitars more than any instrument benefits from tweaking to make it a players dream guitar.   Lots of issues can be fixed by getting it set up the way you prefer.   

Again, not every brand of guitar is for everyone.  Except for a few exceptions, most of us own and are fans of Gibson’s and find them great playable, bendable guitars. If you really can’t experiment, making some pretty minor adjustments to your playing style, or change the set up so that it might make the guitar work for you, return it and move on.  

Edited by PrairieDog

there are some Gibson Les Paul’s called the “fretless wonder” which would have low frets but I don’t think that this is one

I would assume this is a case of “mail order “ guitar.

Each guitar is unique 

I would suggest this guitar is not for you, belittling the guitar (or cost there of) is useless 

you should probably return it and try get to a store to find one you like.

Edited by Eracer_Team
  • Like 1

I've probably had 50 or 60 Gibsons over the years from the early 60s to early 2020s, each one is a bit different.

If you have what you like, stick with what you've got and save your money.

Posted (edited)

Today I tried a second hand Studio (2010) at a retailer. I did not have any issues with bending, frets seemed to be perfectly normal. Problem is that I never buy second hand gear. 

Done a little search and it seems that there are dozens of similar issues. For some reason the fretwork does not seem to be very consistent under the same umbrella. 

I decided to ship this guitar back, already notified the retailer and asked for the refund. 

I don't give up on Gibson, one day I will find the one I have been looking for. 

Edited by V1ctorius

Yeah Gibson production guitars are hit and miss these days. Seems to be the case last few years or so. Shame we have to pay what we do for USA lineup and have to really check them over to fill in where their QC has failed. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, NighthawkChris said:

Yeah Gibson production guitars are hit and miss these days. Seems to be the case last few years or so. Shame we have to pay what we do for USA lineup and have to really check them over to fill in where their QC has failed. 

I don’t have to do that cause I won’t ever own another one. But it’s sad with prices how they are that you do. 

7 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I don’t have to do that cause I won’t ever own another one. But it’s sad with prices how they are that you do. 

No doubt… I used to be in the camp saying that one should just deal and this is a small issue, etc. I am not like that anymore. I say turn them back in and make ‘em eat it because no one should have to buy stuff that makes one question if they are making a good decision to keep something they have wanted for whatever period of time. But again not trying to utterly bash USA Gibsons. There are awesome ones out there but have to really look them over.

I have noticed that Custom Shop Gibsons are impeccable most of the time, but they cost a ton more as we know. Any CS guitar I have has been bought used because of the prices. But I always buy used anyhow - autos, house, musical gear… Just have to know what you’re looking for and how much something “should” cost. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, NighthawkChris said:

No doubt… I used to be in the camp saying that one should just deal and this is a small issue, etc. I am not like that anymore. I say turn them back in and make ‘em eat it because no one should have to buy stuff that makes one question if they are making a good decision to keep something they have wanted for whatever period of time. But again not trying to utterly bash USA Gibsons. There are awesome ones out there but have to really look them over.

I have noticed that Custom Shop Gibsons are impeccable most of the time, but they cost a ton more as we know. Any CS guitar I have has been bought used because of the prices. But I always buy used anyhow - autos, house, musical gear… Just have to know what you’re looking for and how much something “should” cost. 

Nod, I buy used when practical (except cars, I used to buy used all the time, but finally got tired of footing the repairs and breakdowns).  I go used when all things being equal the used price fits my wallet better. And bonus, with guitars, used is usually better than new, as we are seeing here 🙂  

I do have to be careful though being honest with myself about what it “should” cost vs what I “want” it to cost, chuckle.  

Back in the 20th century I bought a nice two story 3 bed 2 bath brick house with mahogany woodwork, leaded glass windows, and a generous backyard (for the city) for $73,000.  That of course forever set my gauge  on what a “nice” house in the city should cost.  I sold it for what I thought was a nice profit back in 2003, got my money out and then some in appreciation.

I just heard the folks who bought it from me sold it a few years ago for over half a million 🙄 It’s always gonna be a $73,000 house to me 😆

Edited by PrairieDog

On 6/30/2024 at 3:47 PM, NighthawkChris said:

I totally agree with you.  That has been my direct experience with Gibson over the last few years.  I really try and avoid having to order one sight unseen, but my shop doesn't stock a whole lot of their line.  They are very good with allowing me to turn down one I ordered that comes in with QC flaws.  And I don't mean something like the figuring isn't as nice as I'd like, or the burst isn't to my exact taste.  I'm talking about crooked mounted tuning machines,  poorly finished frets, dust/dirt under the finish (that they clear coated over top of!),  trapezoid inlays that are raised above the fretboard and other QC issues.  When a good one comes in, I love it - it's a thing of beauty and I love the way they play.  But their QC standards are just too low to trust buying sight unseen anymore.  It really is a shame.

• Like 1

Flats on the frets would bother me. It was this one of the issues that turned me off of PRS. No way should you need to crown frets on a new guitar. I would find another I think.

I did fret level my plekked LP after owning it (from new) after about 4 years. The frets were nicely crowned, I just noticed that they were not uniformly level and I am fussy about such things. I didn't have to remove much. Crowning & polishing took the most time.