Gibson Brands Forums

NEW Gibson ES Supreme

So its like a 335 but not, Has burstbuckers and nuclear looks (probably meant new killer looks).

Some bits just past the middle 4.30ish sounded good, but most of the sound demo was muddy and unappealing  

Looks nice though. 

7 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

So its like a 335 but not, Has burstbuckers and nuclear looks (probably meant new killer looks).

Some bits just past the middle 4.30ish sounded good, but most of the sound demo was muddy and unappealing  

Looks nice though. 

I think thats the amp and settings more than the guitar...  This is what they show its set at..  And its not a Marshall   😄   Turn all those EQs up and I bet it sounds as full as you would expect.

vXZYA0z.jpg

• Haha 1

Rabs,

Does the "Supreme" designation refer to the guitar's quality, or merely its price point?

If it is the latter, wouldn't people be supremely foolish to waste big $$$$$ on it?

RBSinTo

Just now, RBSinTo said:

Rabs,

Does the "Supreme" designation refer to the guitar's quality, or merely its price point?

If it is the latter, wouldn't people be supremely foolish to waste big $$$$$ on it?

RBSinTo

It refers to the high end appointments like the headstock inlays and split fret inlays fancy wood figuring  etc..  

Well people bought the 50k signature guitars so nothing really  surprises me any more.  They do look nice.. And really I dont care what people want to spend their money on, thats up to them. As people always say, something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it and Gibson know their market.

56 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

If I may ask, where did you spot "nuclear?" 

1 minute ago, Phil OKeefe said:

If I may ask, where did you spot "nuclear?" 

He says it near the beginning of the video and he says new killer looks..  It does somewhat sound like nuclear.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Rabs said:

He says it near the beginning of the video and he says new killer looks..  It does somewhat sound like nuclear.

Ahh, thanks! I haven't watched the video yet, so I missed that. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't an error in the copy/captioning/anything else I could make sure was corrected. 🙂 

1 hour ago, RBSinTo said:

Rabs,

RBSinTo

$800 more than a standard 335 and $300 more than a figured 335 for those appointments sounds like a small increase for Gibson. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Posted (edited)

That 3 pick up ebony looks real good.

Like the neck, that head stock design I'm not so sure about.  Maybe it would grow on me but I see why they dropped it back in the 40s.

Edited by SteveFord

17 hours ago, Phil OKeefe said:

Ahh, thanks! I haven't watched the video yet, so I missed that. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't an error in the copy/captioning/anything else I could make sure was corrected. 🙂 

Hey,  but just a heads up on the Gibson page: there seems to be a description error in the Tan exclusive blurb. The image shows only two pups, but the copy says it has three.  (Looks like a copy/paste error from the ebony?)  Anyway, I gotta say, this release is making us look 😄 

Edited by PrairieDog
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, SteveFord said:

That 3 pick up ebony looks real good.

Like the neck, that head stock design I'm not so sure about.  Maybe it would grow on me but I see why they dropped it back in the 40s.

Oh man, maybe it’s my thing for everything deco, but I’m all over the inlay on this one 🙂  

Seriously, Gibson needs to start putting flat pickup rings on 335's.  I mean, the neck angles are built within, like, a quarter degree.  The finishes are beautiful.  The guitars are the best in the world.  Except they can't find a flat pickup ring so all the neck pickups are slanted when they're, um, probably supposed to sit flat.  It just looks so goofy.  On one of the guitars, they pushed the pickup over so it was kind of level.  I'll make 'em for y'all.  Fifty dollars a pop.  It's a secret process, backed up by years of thoughtful research and complex analysis.   I take a bridge pickup ring and sand it flat.  Why cheap out on the cheapest part on the guitar when you work so hard on the rest of it?  They could probably have them made for the same price as the slanted ones once the setup costs are paid for.

Nomsayn?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

And another thang - I had a compound radius Les Paul and I ended up not being able to stand it.  I realized that as you go further up the fretboard, the 12"radius that the strings are on doesn't match the curvature of the fretboard, so the action on the 3rd and 4th strings are about 1 and a half 64ths higher than they would be if the fretboard radius matched the string radius.

You'll get sick of the action being so high on the middle strings real fast.  Once you realize that the compound radius fretboard just doesn't parallel the strings, it starts to really get to your brain.  Your action at the 15th fret in 64ths will be, like, 5, 5, 6, 6, 4, 3 instead of 5, 5, 4, 4, 3, 3.  It gets to be really annoying.

Edited by badbluesplayer
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, badbluesplayer said:

And another thang - I had a compound radius Les Paul and I ended up not being able to stand it.  I realized that as you go further up the fretboard, the 12"radius that the strings are on doesn't match the curvature of the fretboard, so the action on the 3rd and 4th strings are about 1 and a half 64ths higher than they would be if the fretboard radius matched the string radius.

You'll get sick of the action being so high on the middle strings real fast.  Once you realize that the compound radius fretboard just doesn't parallel the strings, it starts to really get to your brain.  Your action at the 15th fret in 64ths will be, like, 5, 5, 6, 6, 4, 3 instead of 5, 5, 4, 4, 3, 3.  It gets to be really annoying.

Perhaps when I’m a better player these kind of details will begin to attract my attention.  For now, I’m just amazed at how much easier running up the fret board is.  I’m finding the wider/flatter spacing higher up helps with my accuracy. I’m not double fretting nearly as much now.  But then, I’ve always been one to adapt my playing to the needs of the instrument, not limit my instruments to ones that meet my needs.  I’m just as comfortable playing Beethoven on a Steinway grand as a rickety, upright Kimball.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/30/2024 at 3:40 AM, Reob1957 said:

Are there any plans for ES Supremes in left handed? Prefer the black one...

Hi there, and welcome.  this is just a fan forum, you’ll be better off calling Gibson customer service.  Since they make a left hand 335 there might  be an M2M option.