Jump to content
Gibson Brands Forums

So What Weird Music Do You Listen To?


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

It’s been well documented here I’m one of those that  listens to Frank Zappa. He can get weird, but his music is rarely weird to me except when he does instrumental stuff that goes nowhere.

Now these guys I would consider weird - The Residents. So far only one person has come forward and admitted he was in the band before he passed away. Hardy Fox. I suspect the others are Homer Flynn, John Kennedy (obviously not the deceased President, and Jay Clem. All had ties to the Cryptic Corporation and Ralph Records, their management, and label.
 

Here is them doing what they do. This is from an album called the Commercial Album where every song was exactly 1 minute long. Here’s a video. The guy playing guitar on the moon is Homer Flynn. I saw them twice live.
 

So what weirdness do you celebrate?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Here is a snippet from a show from the first tour I saw.

 

Okay, gee, this is dredging up some chemical fog shrouded memory… I think I may have seen them too, but accidentally on some last minute comps at 1st Ave.  Had no clue who they were, and very little memory of the show other than I  think I booked out with a bad case of the heebie jeebies over the eyeball in my enhanced state. Tbh,  some of the 70s and 80s died with my brain cells.  

I did see Laurie Anderson a couple of times more clear headed, and she put on killer, mind blowing shows. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, PrairieDog said:

Okay, gee, this is dredging up some chemical fog shrouded memory… I think I may have seen them too, but accidentally on some last minute comps at 1st Ave.  Had no clue who they were, and very little memory of the show other than I  think I booked out with a bad case of the heebie jeebies over the eyeball in my enhanced state. Tbh,  some of the 70s and 80s died with my brain cells.  

I did see Laurie Anderson a couple of times more clear headed, and she put on killer, mind blowing shows. 

I saw Laurie in Berkeley on shrooms. Killer show.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

The Cramps.....Bad Music For Bad People.....we don't need a bass player!

To me they were campy Punk-A-Billy. Playing dress up. Does Punk need a bass player?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If the Cramps were Punk-A-Billy, then they were the originators of the genre, IMHO. 

Does listening to The Dr. Demento Show count as weird? Years ago, I used to listen to it ever week. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Phil OKeefe said:

If the Cramps were Punk-A-Billy, then they were the originators of the genre, IMHO. 

Does listening to The Dr. Demento Show count as weird? Years ago, I used to listen to it ever week. 

Sure some can be. Was Weird Al’s music really weird or Pop Songs turned into Polka Novelty Hits using songs from other performers as his inspiration.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Adrian Belew's trilogy of Side One, Side Two, and Side Three  is way the hell out there. 

I view these songs as "too weird for even Robert Fripp". 

I give them a listen every now and then. 

😗
 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, sparquelito said:

Adrian Belew's trilogy of Side One, Side Two, and Side Three  is way the hell out there. 

I view these songs as "too weird for even Robert Fripp". 

I give them a listen every now and then. 

😗
 

 

I hope my wife doesn’t turn into a Momur tonight. 

Adrian was with King Crimson both times I saw them. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Sure some can be. Was Weird Al’s music really weird or Pop Songs turned into Polka Novelty Hits using songs from other performers as his inspiration.

Weird Al would be, in my opinion, more novelty than weird. YMMV. But I do think some of the stuff in the good doctor's enormous record collection (and that was featured on the show) qualifies as being pretty weird. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

These days? Very little..

The 1st would have been Saucerful of Secrets (original title track) in 1968 which I liked to listen to in the dark.

At Art School it was Ron Geeson, Kevin Ayres and Ivor Cutler. They were more eccentric/experimental backing into weird. Then Beefheart and Zappa. 

'Free Music' was sort of weird: Iskra 1903, Han Bennink, Evan Parker etc. 12 tone stuff, both classical & jazz can be great but in small doses. 

Weird is important. Its an escape from humdrum. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I have some stuff by a band called Bongwater. They were weird. 

Not sure if Progressive Rock can be called weird. I’m talking beyond Yes, who I dig. King Crimson may be a tad weird for most people.

A while back I discovered a label called Esoteric Records and it re-releases old mostly English Prog and Rock I never heard of. Some of the UK’ers probably have heard of them. Here is a list of the bands I’ve gotten music from on that label : Affinity, Audiance, Babe Ruth, Baker Gervitz Army (yep Baker is indeed Ginger Baker). Tim Blake, Boxer, Fruupp, Hard Meat, Help Yourself, Jonsey, Nektar, Patto (this is before Mike Patto formed Boxer), and Stackridge. And some I have heard about : Be Bop Deluxe, John Martyn, Anthony Phillips, Procol Harum, Renaissance, Al Stewart, Soft Machine, and Spirit.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 7/10/2024 at 6:04 PM, sparquelito said:

Adrian Belew's trilogy of Side One, Side Two, and Side Three  is way the hell out there. 

I view these songs as "too weird for even Robert Fripp". 

I give them a listen every now and then. 

😗
 

 

Ever heard Fripp’s Exposure album. That’s out there, and Daryl Hall sings on it. Peter Gabriel too. The guy from Van Der Graff Generator Paul Hammill and Terry Roche from The Roches. Check out the song NY3. Your a Cocaine sniffer.

 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
Link to comment
Share on other sites

When I had XM Radio in my car, I would sometimes listen to a channel called Watercolors. It' played this weird jazz that reminded me of the type of music you'd hear in a low budget PBS program or in the background of a weather channel.      

Edited by saturn
spelling eror
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, saturn said:

When I had XM Radio in my car, I would sometimes listen to a channel called Watercolors. It' played this weird jazz that reminded me of the type of music you'd hear in a low budget PBS program or in the background of a weather channel.      

Life might be to short to listen to low budget Jazz. I dig Jazz but can only listen to an album or two in a row. Most of Miles stuff after In A Silent Way was too weird for me. Fusion to me was either noise or a wank fest of showing off virtuosity that seemed to go nowhere. 

Ken and Barbie or Bro and Chick Country is weird to me. They have been incorporating Rap (another lovely music form I loathe). It sounds like the same 5 females are the only ones allowed to record. It just now sounds like really bad pop music sung with a twang.

The Moody Blues were a bizzare band many didn’t get or like. They read poems, and worked with an orchestra long before anyone else did. Well Sinatra did, but he was crooning.

Breath deep 

The gathering gloom 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Life might be to short to listen to low budget Jazz. I dig Jazz but can only listen to an album or two in a row. Most of Miles stuff after In A Silent Way was too weird for me. Fusion to me was either noise or a wank fest of showing off virtuosity that seemed to go nowhere. 

 

Yeah. But sometimes I like cheesey  music just for some fun. I would only listen for 10 minutes or so. 

Remember those Wyndham Hill artists from the late 80s/early 90s? Michael Hedges is the only name I can remember. They had some great musicians, but  kinda weird and avant garde.  

Edited by saturn
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, saturn said:

Yeah. But sometimes I like cheesey  music just for some fun. I would only listen for 10 minutes or so. 

Remember those Wyndham Hill artists from the late 80s/early 90s? Michael Hedges is the only name I can remember. They had some great musicians, but  kinda weird and avant garde.  

Other than Michael, most to me were New Age background music for offices and elevators. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Deep House, #55 on the Sirius.  Chill.  I also record such things, badly, but I'm getting better at it.  I just like it, I like the synth challenges, and the ambient guitar challenges.  If it isn't fun I don't want to do it, and after an entire life of Klassik RHWAK, this stuff is fun as hellz.

rct

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...