Gibson Brands Forums

Experimenting with strings on my J185EC Maple

ke3ee

For the past few days Ive been experimenting with strings. I tried to buy JP's but couldnt find any local so they arent in the test yet.

I'll post in order of what I liked the best. They are all 12's.

1. Gibson J200 's they suprised me with their crisp but warm sound.

2.Martin Marquis PB's. Too bright, maybe with time they would settle down.

3. Martin Marquis 80/20's. A close 3nd , just a tad bit muddy

4. Dad's 80/20's. Just didnt do anything for me or the guitar. sounded flat which is funny because they are my favorite strings for my Seagull 12 string that has a Cedar top with Cherry sides and back.

5.Martin SP 80/20's. The only coated strings I tested and they felt and sounded dead.I guess I'm not a coated type of guy.

I have Dunlops and JP's on the way.. and I really didnt give these strings a chance to break in or settle down they were only on for 3-4 hours. Ive only owned the Gibson for about a month , so I'm still trying different strings. I owned a Martin 000-28ec and always found that Martin Marquis were the best on it.

I think I am going to try some of these JP new mediums on a J-185 I just got. They have worked well on other Gibsons I have.

Sorry about that goof up. I edited my first post after I realized what you probably got.

Based on your observations it appears that 80/20s are not suited to the J200, and that PBs are the way to go. I find that is the case with the J-45 as well. I don't have a j-200 only a j-45 and I use Martin's SP light/mediums. They are the only strings with a string gauge exactly half way between lights and mediums right through from high e to low E.... 12.5, 16.5, 25.5, 33.5, 43.5, 55.

It took a lot of experimenting but I found that lights were too light and mediums were too heavy. These are hard to find but they are no. 1 for my taste. I usually have to order them online as the shops round here don't carry them.

• 2 weeks later...

I finnally picked up a couple sets of John Pearce PB lights and after 2 days I'm sold... these are the strings for my 185. Sweet sounding, mellow but not dead sounding..lots of tone and harmonics.. easy on the fingers...time to order a box of them....Robb

I'd also try some John Pearse Nickel Strings. I like them on my maple flattop.

I can't find these in any of the local shops. I'm going to have to buy them on line, which I am loathe (read: too lazy) to do.

Also: I agree with ke3ee: the John Pearce PB lights are very fine strings.

Try The Dean Markley Gold Bronze' date=' I have a 2005 J-185EC that "loves" these strings. I think mosy Phos / Bronz are a little too bright primarily because of the maple b/s which tend toward brightness anyway.[/quote']

Just put these on my J45 MC last week. Highs and lows are balanced on the mohogany. I am very happy with them, so far. You have to get used to their looks (all gold strings). Mine are Dean Markley Alchemy Gold Bronze-Light's 11-52.

Archived