Gibson Brands Forums

Jimmy Page Wiring Kit from Stewmac... Worth it?

Kimolas

Link to Stewmac

I will have no issue at all with the soldering, I was just wondering if there was anything wrong with this kit in particular. Has anyone had any experiences with these, or can anyone find something wrong? Considering the site's reputation, I'm not too worried about the quality of the parts, but I could be mistaken.

This will be installed in my 2008 Gibson Les Paul Studio Cherry Sunburst. It has a 498T pickup in the bridge, which I've read has 4 leads, thus it is compatible with this kit.

Jimmy Page Wiring Kit from Stewmac... Worth it?

Price looks decent to me. Go for it.

OK' date=' I may be missing something here. I installed 500k push/pull pots and coil tapped a set of Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz on my Traditional' date=' is there something special with the JP wiring kit I'm missing?[/quote'']

have you got the phasing setup?

This is the wiring in his #1, or the Custom Authentic that Gibson released in '05. If you want all the crazy wiring that is going to be in his new #2, that I hope will be coming out soon, then you're going to need a lot more stuff.

I have never ordered anything from these guys, but they seem pretty legit:

Page Wiring

This has coil taps for both PUPs, series/parallel push pull, and a phase in/out push pull. I don't know how many different sounds you can get out of this thing, but it's a lot. This is also that same wiring as the Page Les Paul that Gibson produced in the mid 90s.

I thought about getting this for a standard, but I loved the BurstBuckers too much to take them out (they're only two conductor) so I have been looking at Studios to put this in. At $140 it is pretty expensive, but it's prewired so you can pretty much throw this thing in your guit and solder it to the PUPs and ground and you're ready to rock like Jimmy (or at least try to) in about an hour from getting it.

What I personally might end up doing is getting an SG, or possibly a Les Paul, and put two P-Rails PUPs in them with three way mini toggles to have rail, P90 and humbucking sounds, and then wire them for series/parallel and phase in/out. That would be DOPE!

I'm not sure you need the whole kit unless you want to swap out everything.

I bought 4 push/pull pots from Stewmac and orange drop caps from somewhere else and I'm pretty sure it was less than $48 even with two different shipping costs.

You can get a JP wire diagram from Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio, and guitarelectronics.com

I wired my Les Paul to have coil taps for both PUPs, series/parallel push pull, and a phase in/out push pull.

I suggest you price shop and see if the parts are cheaper by themselves and also decide if you need a new toggle switch (probably don't) and shielded wire etc...

OK' date=' I may be missing something here. I installed 500k push/pull pots and coil tapped a set of Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz on my Traditional, is there something special with the JP wiring kit I'm missing?[/quote']

Yes two more push/pull pots. 1 will put the pups in/out of phase and the other will place both pickups in series (makes it louder).

Thanks for the replies! I was considering this kit because I didn't want to modify the guitar's stock electronics. I'll take all of the stock electronics out and put the new ones in, just in case I end up selling my Les Paul (I hope not!)

Archived