Gibson Brands Forums

Proud & Disappointed At The Same Time

DanvillRob

4 hours ago, Larsongs said:

From what I’ve been reading, supposedly, a Solar system can have a switch that takes you on & off the Grid. That may not be the case anymore in Ca. after Gov’t & Utility Companies have become involved.

It’s Sunny here in Palm Springs, Ca.  almost everyday of the year. If I ever get Solar & a back up battery I’d own it. Ideally, I don’t want to be affiliated with the Grid 100%. I’ll use the minimum from my Power Co. & Solar for as much as possible. I’m happy to give back Electricity to them to reduce my Utility bill & help create more Solar power for them & others. I just want the choice to go off Grid during Power outages. The Sun stays on regardless. But, I don’t think that’s possible anymore in Ca.

I think that’s true.   I need to check what it would take to add that feature.   

2 hours ago, ghost_of_fl said:

No. 

Recently:

New weight room, for the students

Re-done athletics fields, for the students

New planetarium projection rig, for the students

Project to install air conditioning in all buildings, for the students

Public education is on the State level.  It sounds like your state is all over the place with spending, I'm sure glad I don't live wherever that is! 

All of those things are good.

No, our state is not all over the place.  Like yours, funneled through state.  You can't really compare states without actually looking at the accounting methods used by each state because each state has pros and cons for how they each do it because of course, nobody does anything the same as anybody else.

The only point here is that any school district that has a windfall of savings on anything at all, solar included, isn't doing anything for the taxpayers.  Air conditioning in public buildings in 2024? Sounds like your state is all over the place with spending, I'm sure glad I don't live wherever that is!

See what I did there?  Whatever accounting and funding methods were used when your school buildings were built allowed no air conditioning.  That would be weird here.  And on and on, the differences are anything from fundamental to extreme, so not an easy comparison.

Suffice it to say that if they could save some money with solar and put it to the actual schooling, that's a good thing.  But you have to admit, a cynical view of it is to be expected in most places.

rct

1 minute ago, ghost_of_fl said:

Imagine if cold weather states existed?  🤯

I don't know why the assumption would be a tax break.  The district is managing their funds to maximize educational value.  That's how you become a top US school district (hint hint).  By providing more for the students.   

But hey, if y'all want to line your wallet with school money, go for it.  🤷‍♂️ We don't do that here. 

Yes, cold weather states.  Yours is so cold that here in 2024 you...what?  Finally realized that good environmental controls matter in public facilities?  You didn't need it until now?  We have cold weather here for about 8 months a year, and we have AC in our schools.  Imagine that.

There was no assumption of a tax break, if that's what you got, my bad.  Such a windfall as all of that solar money would probably have a public referendum in this area, and we'd vote for a stable school tax rate for ___ years, however it could be worked out.

But hey, a new weightlifting room will be much appreciated by the six students that want to lift weights.

rct

On 9/4/2024 at 11:20 AM, Phil OKeefe said:

Please leave the personal insults out of the discussion. Please refer to rule #15.

Thank you. 

What you're going to find, when you ask around and become more familiar with the Forum, is that the independent people like me have been responsible, in large part, for the disappearance of politics from this forum.  Not the moderators, not the rules.  You can kick me in the shins for calling somebody Einstien.  Go ahead.  But realize that if it wasn't for people like me, the political ax grinders would be making your job a lot tougher.  There's like 3 or 4 independent people on here that have gotten everybody to pretty much shutup about politics before you ever got on here.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, badbluesplayer said:

What you're going to find, when you ask around and become more familiar with the Forum, is that the independent people like me have been responsible, in large part, for the disappearance of politics from this forum.  Not the moderators, not the rules.  You can kick me in the shins for calling somebody Einstien.  Go ahead.  But realize that if it wasn't for people like me, the political ax grinders would be making your job a lot tougher.  There's like 3 or 4 independent people on here that have gotten everybody to pretty much shutup about politics before you ever got on here.

I guess we are extremely lucky to have someone like you on here🤔

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, badbluesplayer said:

All efforts to encourage people to follow the site rules are greatly and sincerely appreciated. 

For the record, I'm a registered independent, too. 

Please don't take my previous request personally. Instead, please just consider it a reminder to leave personal attacks/comments out of the discussion. 

Thanks. 

Right let’s talk Guitars. And Amps & Concerts & Recording & How To’s regarding all things music. And Cars & Trucks & Tractors & Boats & Snow Mobiles & Motorcycles.

We don’t need Politics. Any!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Larsongs said:

Right let’s talk Guitars. And Amps & Concerts & Recording & How To’s regarding all things music. And Cars & Trucks & Tractors & Boats & Snow Mobiles & Motorcycles.

We don’t need Politics. Any!

You said snowmobiles!!!

I did some amateur motorcycle roadracing for about 15 years. I grew up riding quads, dirt bikes, jet skis, karts, street bikes.....BUT NOTHING IS AS MUCH FUN TO RIDE THAN A SNOWMOBILE!

• Like 1

100% agree. But in addition to it being unreliable and way too heavy for a 12 year old, my riding consisted of riding around snow covered potato fields, constantly blazing new paths. Organized trails were a decade away around here. And the notion of a snowmobile suit and a helmet was foreign to me. I guess one winter was just enough to convince me I would rather be on two wheels while the grass is green.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ksdaddy said:

100% agree. But in addition to it being unreliable and way too heavy for a 12 year old, my riding consisted of riding around snow covered potato fields, constantly blazing new paths. Organized trails were a decade away around here. And the notion of a snowmobile suit and a helmet was foreign to me. I guess one winter was just enough to convince me I would rather be on two wheels while the grass is green.  

That's how I felt until I went on a proper trip, of course this was around 1986.

Sleds have come a long way, even in the past 10 years. Suits, helmets, and boots have changed for the better also. Even in -20 degree temps, it's never uncomfortable, I get colder after the ride than the actual ride.

I have ridden as much as 300 miles in one day before, this was on prepped trails in the UP of Michigan. Michigan has over 5k miles of trails, it's a huge industry up there, same as northern Wisconsin. 

Modern sleds are approaching 200 HP, 2 stroke 900cc engines, full performance suspension, along with a $20K price tag. A new Skidoo MXZ 850 will go 128mph!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, badbluesplayer said:

Post of the Year !    (OK, it's still only September, but ... )

• Like 1

On 9/8/2024 at 9:11 AM, badbluesplayer said:

I don't know about that one (who knows), I know KDaddy and myself have axed numerous posts regarding politics, religion and woman shaming around here, and in almost all the cases it's the same "forum trick or treaters" around here. And no doubt we do appreciate any help we can get. 

But I get it in todays environment it's easy to get lured into the subject of politics, especially now that everyone is an "expert." I for one don't mind opinions as long as they are presented as opinion. But I get turned off when some present their opinion as facts.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, duane v said:

I don't know about that one (who knows), I know KDaddy and myself have axed numerous posts regarding politics, religion and woman shaming around here, and in almost all the cases it's the same "forum trick or treaters" around here. And no doubt we do appreciate any help we can get. 

But I get it in todays environment it's easy to get lured into the subject of politics, especially now that everyone is an "expert." I for one don't mind opinions as long as they are presented as opinion. But I get turned off when some present their opinion as facts.

As long as opinions on the left get the same push-back as those on the right....I am totally okay with it.   It IS hard to separate politics sometimes....you can be presumed to be on one side or the other just by your opinions on COVID vaccines or the war in Ukraine...or even electric vehicles! I, personally, feel you guys do a GREAT job all a round....so the forum is pretty well moderated, and the posers are kept out.

7 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

As long as opinions on the left get the same push-back as those on the right....I am totally okay with it.   It IS hard to separate politics sometimes....you can be presumed to be on one side or the other just by your opinions on COVID vaccines or the war in Ukraine...or even electric vehicles! I, personally, feel you guys do a GREAT job all a round....so the forum is pretty well moderated, and the posers are kept out.

I don't predesignate people based on their views or where they're from. As long as one is not a complete a-hole.

It’s hard sometimes, if a tragic event happens in the news, for example…. even though we’re not supposed to talk politics here, people need to vent and process things. If a mini van full of nuns gets stepped on by Godzilla, people are going to talk about it! People need catharsis and if it happens here, then I don’t typically say anything until about page 3 when people start using a tragic news event to get on a soap box and preach, and in doing so, they automatically alienate and infuriate a minimum of 50% of the forum population. Then one of us locks the thread and we get accused of not moderating enough. As I tried clumsily to point out, sometimes we have to blur the lines a little because we are all human and not concrete, binary, “black or white” all the time. The only thing guaranteed in life are death, taxes, and the Gibson moderators are wrong. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, ksdaddy said:

a mini van full of nuns gets stepped on by Godzilla

It would be worth starting a facebook page just to put that on there and watch them believe it and retwit it and truth it and x it all over the place.

rct

• Like 1