Gibson Brands Forums

Your dream cars?

I'm weird, I know. 

I don't want a Corvette or a Cadillac or a Ferarri. 
Don't need a vintage Chevelle or a classic 1960's Mustang. 
Nope. 
Not me. 

I have wanted, for years, to find a nice used 1996  Buick Roadmaster Wagon, in white. 
With the woody sides. 
1996_buick_roadmaster_20231024_110318-re

I have wanted for a long time the 2003 Mercury Marauder, in black. 
Used, in decent shape. 
img-1-600x400.jpg

I can't find them, mind you. 
But hope springs eternal. 

How about you?

What weird old cars do you covet, and would like to own and drive some day?

🫠

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sparquelito said:

I'm weird, I know. 

I don't want a Corvette or a Cadillac or a Ferarri. 
Don't need a vintage Chevelle or a classic 1960's Mustang. 
Nope. 
Not me. 

I have wanted, for years, to find a nice used 1996  Buick Roadmaster Wagon, in white. 
With the woody sides. 
1996_buick_roadmaster_20231024_110318-re

I have wanted for a long time the 2003 Mercury Marauder, in black. 
Used, in decent shape. 
img-1-600x400.jpg

I can't find them, mind you. 
But hope springs eternal. 

How about you?

What weird old cars do you covet, and would like to own and drive some day?

🫠

Sparquelito,

Curious how you define "weird" for the purpose of this discussion.

RBSinTo

• Like 1

I currently own a 1970 Chevy Chevelle  4 door 250 Turbothrift inline 6 cylinder numbers matching green monstrosity with 56k miles on it. It was my grandmother's car, which she purchased new.   Unfortunately, instead of letting me buy it from her when she wanted to get rid of it, as she had promised, she gave it to my idiot cousin, who took the garage kept, rust free, absolutely mint cream puff, and neglected/abused it for 10+ years. When she realized what he had done to her car, [and when she heard he was going to sell it], she demanded that he give it to me. I have spent 25 years slowly restoring it. Apparently, there are only about 13 of these cars on the road today. Many of these '70  doors were parted out to restore '70 2 door models, like the SS's, or were chopped and mod'ed into "stretch"  2 doors with big block V8's replacing the inline 6 original engines. I am currently torn between keeping it original or doing a rest-o-mod. It defiantly drives like a boat, and it's original power steering combined with the factory "no boost" 4 drum brake set up, is quite a challenge to drive. Despite it's "posi" rear end, the 3 speed transmission, [low, high, reverse], and awful power to weight ratio, makes it a "not rod" instead of a "Hot Rod". It was one of the first Chevy models to come with lap belts AND shoulder belts for the front passengers. Since the shoulder belts are completely independent of the lap belts, there are actually TWO safety belt "receivers"  on the driver's side and the passenger side of the front bench seat to accommodate use of both restraint systems. [There is also a fifth receiver in the front bench to accommodate the center front passenger lap belt.] The driver and passenger shoulder restraints are secured into the "B" pillar where it meets the roof, and they do not retract or employ a centrifugal locking clutch system. They are length adjustable via a sliding, friction clip that contains the "doubled over" belt, lengthening or shorting the restraint depending on the clip's position. When not in use, the shoulder belts slide, [folded in half], into 2 restraining clips in the roof above both the driver's and passenger's side windows, [which are manual/crank opening, btw, as is the triangle vent window in both front doors.] In 1970, this was a "cutting edge" safety restraint system. By today's standards, it is potentially lethal. The Chevelle has heat, but no A/C, and it has two adjustable vents that allow air to enter the cabin at the driver's/passengers feet, just in front of the front doors. It was designed to run on leaded gas, and I must use a lead additive per every fill up. High beams are activated via a foot switch, located to the left of the brake pedal. It also has an antenna for the AM mono radio integrated into the front windshield instead of the manually telescoping fender mounted vertical antenna found on most cars of that era. Since the engine bay was designed to accommodate power plants up to 454 cubic inches, my 250 ci inline 6 appears comically tiny in the huge compartment. Yet, for such an odd version of the iconic 454 '70 Chevelle SS, it defiantly attracts attention, and I recently declined a cash offer of 35K from a neighbor who is enamored with it. My love for my late grandmother, and the memories of her that this car provides me, are priceless. I will never forget the look on her face when I took her for a ride in it before she died, after I had made it road worthy and safe again. Despite it's outwards appearance, she said she thought it ran better than the day she bought it new.    

It is not the best driving car I have ever driven. It is not even close to the most powerful car I have driven. If you don't pump the brakes, it won't stop, and even when you do pump them, you are as likely to spin out as you are to slowly stop, if you press them to hard. The rust holes in the trunk and floor provide me with loads of carbon monoxide unless the windows are down. The leak in the manifold doesn't help this issue either. The tranny slips between low and high, and if I don't off the accelerator as it shifts, it may not engage second gear. But I still love this car, and for some reason lots of other folks love it too.

31ae282e23d3858d87eedaa9907f583d.jpg

Edited by Sheepdog1969
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, RBSinTo said:

Sparquelito,

Curious how you define "weird" for the purpose of this discussion.

RBSinTo

Growing up, when other kids were lusting after Ellie Mae Clampett, I was more drawn to Jane Hathaway. 

🥲

0ecb2e304f0890552eeb60d8436c51df.png

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, sparquelito said:

Growing up, when other kids were lusting after Ellie Mae Clampett, I was more drawn to Jane Hathaway. 

🥲

Jane was the original MILF. 

To be clear, for me, it was Mary Ann, [Dawn Wells], hands down.

Jane scared me.

"Ginger or Mary Ann?"      To me,  Ginger is "Martin"   and  Mary Ann is  "Gibson",  so ....

But, cars?    I guess, I've been lucky.  A  '71 Monte Carlo,   a  '75 Vette.   But the one that I'd like back is the '78 Suburban with a 454 and leather captains type seats from a Caddy.  Better memories in that boat.   

2 hours ago, sparquelito said:

🥲

I was referring to "weird" with respect to one's choice of dream cars cars. 

There are women in the world that I consider to have sex appeal in spades that others just don't see, and vice versa, so I never question or judge who anyone else lusts after. Thankfully there are enough people and lust to go around.

RBSinTo

• Like 1

I currently own something close to my dream car. It's my only car and I use when I have to go somewhere where my feet or bicycle won't cut it. It's a Volvo 544. My dream car would be the wagon version of it.

Mine:

AmFpXt4.png

210frontangle.jpg

But, if I ever really need to get another car, it would probably be a Fiat 500 or a Mini.

Edited by gearbasher
  • Like 3

When I watched Route 66 as a kid I got hooked on Corvettes. I’ve always wanted one. I’ve had 2 Camaro’s, a Toyota Celica GT Hatchback, a cool VW Bug, 57 Ford & some other pretty cool Cars but not a Corvette.

Until late 2004 when I ordered a new Black Generation C6 2005 Corvette. I ordered to my Specs & when I took delivery I was that little kid who watched Route 66.

I still have it. It just turned 24,000 miles. Always Garaged & is in mint condition.

In late 2019 I placed an Order for the all new rear Engine 2020 C8 Corvette but Covid hit & that screwed everything up. I wouldn’t get it til late 2020 or even later they told me so I cancelled my Order. 

I’d like to post Pics if I can ever find a user friendly Photo sharing Site. 

3 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

"Ginger or Mary Ann?"      To me,  Ginger is "Martin"   and  Mary Ann is  "Gibson",  so ....

But, cars?    I guess, I've been lucky.  A  '71 Monte Carlo,   a  '75 Vette.   But the one that I'd like back is the '78 Suburban with a 454 and leather captains type seats from a Caddy.  Better memories in that boat.   

I’ll take Linda Carter. Never was into the lady who played Daisy Duke.

Just the classic Porsche 911 Targa. The one that was in Risky Business was sharp too. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

My dream car is the 1957 Ferrari GT 250 California, (known to many as the red  convertable in "Ferris Bueller's Day Off", (although the ones used in the film were mocked up MGB's)).

To my mind, the most beautiful, under-stated, and classy sports car ever produced.

My second choice is the 1967 Austin-Healey 3000.

But since I live in the real world, rather than in my dreams, I drive a 2013 Subaru Forrester whose greatest asset is lots of room for my goalie equipment, unlike my dream cars.

So I guess that counts for something.

RBSinTo

Edited by RBSinTo

22 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

But since I live in the real world, rather than in my dreams, I drive a 2013 Subaru Forrester whose greatest asset is lots of room for my goalie equipment, unlike my dream cars.

RBSinTo

My niece has the same car, maybe a year newer or older. She adores it and says she hopes it will last her lifetime.

15 minutes ago, gearbasher said:

My niece has the same car, maybe a year newer or older. She adores it and says she hopes it will last her lifetime.

gearbasher,

Mine was a used car replacement  purchased after my 2001 Accura 1.7 EL with a five-speed manual transmission was rear-ended, and written off by my insurance company.

The Subaru is roomy, and the all-wheel drive is good in the winter, but it gets terrible gas mileage, and but for the accident, I'd still be driving the Accura, which was everything I needed in a car.

RBSinTo

44 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

My dream car is the 1957 Ferrari GT 250 California, (known to many as the red  convertable in "Ferris Bueller's Day Off", (although the ones used in the film were mocked up MGB's)).

To my mind, the most beautiful, under-stated, and classy sports car ever produced.

My second choice is the 1967 Austin-Healey 3000.

So I guess that counts for something.

RBSinTo

I had a ‘66 AH 3000 in the garage. It was my father in laws. My wife’s brother now has it. Absolutely killer car.

4 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I had a ‘66 AH 3000 in the garage. It was my father in laws. My wife’s brother now has it. Absolutely killer car.

Chief,

Agreed.

I came close to buying one or two of them many years ago, but was scared off by mechanics who told me they were incredibly tempermental, and difficult to keep tuned.

Also the incredibly low clearance meant that the exhaust and mufflers were  prone to constantly breaking.

Interestingly, I saw an article about Donald Healey, who designed the car, and when asked about its popularity, said, in typical English fashion, that he never understood what all the fuss was about. He should have asked me.

RBSinTo

Edited by RBSinTo

9 hours ago, sparquelito said:

🥲

I spit my coffee. Great one and great definition.

I want a 70's el Camino.

Edited by Tman
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, RBSinTo said:

I was referring to "weird" with respect to one's choice of dream cars cars. 

Well, I can elaborate, and leave the odd hormonal attractions to unconventional women out of the discussion. 

I have had the opportunity to own just about any car I wanted over the years, but I generally eshewed the usual iconic men's dream cars. 
Never owned a Camaro, Corvette, Mustang, Firebird, or really any muscle cars or pony cars. 

I have owned, over the years, one each
1974 Ford Pinto
1975 Oldsmobile Omega
1972 Olsmobile Vista Cruiser wagon
1984 Cadillac Sedan DeVille (the 1st wife's car)
1988 Buick Regal
1986 Mercedes (German specs)  sedan (the 1st wife's car)
1993 Cadillac Sedan DeVille (the 1st wife's car)
1995 GMC Sierra pickup truck
1999 Mazda Miata (the 2nd wife's car)
1993 Ford Ranger pickup truck
2003 Subaru Baja
2007 Audi TT (the 2nd wife's car)
2000 BMW Z3 (the 2nd wife's current car)
2019 Ford Transit Connect cargo van (my daily driver now)

In addition to craving the old Buick station wagon and the Mercury sedan, I fancy finding a clean old 1967 Olsmobile 442. 
I guess it's technically a muscle car, when you think about it. 

Because, well, burning dinosaurs thru a 4bbl carburetor just appeals to me lately. 
😃

1967Oldsmobile442.jpg

• Like 2