Gibson Brands Forums

New guitar!

Sunn O)))

I can't seem to view the pictures (tried the usual stuff), but gather from the comments we are talking about a Les Paul Special?

Are we talkin' single or double cut? The reason I ask is that I recently got a single cut Les Paul Special (in worn "TV" yellow) & hadn't noticed anything about such guitars on the Gibson web-site, various guitar forums, or store web-sites.

I was going to start a thread asking if anyone has got one of these things & what they think about them. I LOVE the P90 pickups ! I can get that latter-day John Fogerty sound (when he uses his '56 Goldtop) on say Green River or Born on The Bayou; although the originals were probably recorded with his Rickenbacker.

I'm not a huge fan of faded finishes' date=' or I would probably have one of those. Instead I have my modified Spirit which will be in for finishing within the next few weeks.[/quote']

I think the faded-finish is like a hate-love thing. Personally, I love it.

And heritage cherry, it's a Gibson Les Paul Special Double Cut in worn cherry. It's from 2007. It's discontinued, that's maybe why you dont find so much information about them.

Sweet axe! They keep calling it a "faded" finish, but especially on the cherry version it looks more like a very well-done light matte or even like a tinted gunstock-oil kind of thing (I know it isn't, but that's what it resembles)--enough to protect the wood, but not enough to completely fill the grain so as to keep a natual feel. On the Special in general, and on this one in particular, it looks killer. No bells, no whistles, just pure awesome.

Oh, OK, it’s a double-cut faded cherry. I nearly bought one of those things about 18 months ago & then regretted not getting one after they were discontinued.

I like the look & FEEL of the satin/faded finish. I sometimes feel intimidated by “superior” finishes to really rip in when playing. But not with these & they feel real comfortable to play right from day one.

Keith Richards uses one in the Stones from time to time (usually to play Midnight Rambler). Whilst there are schools of thought that Keith used an SG to record Brown Sugar, I have always suspected he may have used his double cut special.

Archived