Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Victory guitars

Rabs

So they are resurrecting the Victory? Must be 40 years on by now. 

I used to think I wanted a guitar that sounded like a fender but handled like a Gibson. These all have HBs though. I'm sure the 80s ones had a single coil in the middle.

I reckon they'll knock these out for about 2k 

1 minute ago, merciful-evans said:

I used to think I wanted a guitar that sounded like a fender but handled like a Gibson. These all have HBs though. I'm sure the 80s ones had a single coil in the middle.

Yup... About 2k...   

Im not a huge fan.. The top horn is a bit big and I dont really like that style of headstock...

Still all look better than the Theodore though  😄  

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

On the new Victory and Victory Figured Top models, the two knobs are connected to push/pull potentiometers for coil split (volume) and inner/outer coil selection (tone), so you can not only split the humbuckers for single coil tones, but select whether you want to use the inner or outer coils when using them as single coils. 

54 minutes ago, Rabs said:

Im not a huge fan.. The top horn is a bit big and I dont really like that style of headstock...

It's just my personal POV, but I think the Explorer headstock is a BIG improvement over the design used on the vintage Victory models from the early 1980s. YMMV

29 minutes ago, Phil OKeefe said:

It's just my personal POV, but I think the Explorer headstock is a BIG improvement over the design used on the vintage Victory models from the early 1980s. YMMV

I just went and had a look and actually for me I much prefer the original..  To me the only guitar that should have the hockey stick is the explorer..  Just looks weird on any other guitar in my view... 

oavlzWe.jpg

11 minutes ago, Rabs said:

I just went and had a look and actually for me I much prefer the original..  To me the only guitar that should have the hockey stick is the explorer..  Just looks weird on any other guitar in my view... 

oavlzWe.jpg

Rabs

It looks wicked on a Les Paul IMO.... If Gibson ever re-releases this model I'll buy one in a millisecond.

les_paul_expl.JPG

1 minute ago, duane v said:

Rabs

It looks wicked on a Les Paul IMO.... If Gibson ever re-releases this model I'll buy one in a millisecond.

les_paul_expl.JPG

It does look striking but its not for me.. It looks to me like the horn should be a similar shape to the headstock.. That I think would make a bit more sense in terms of shape.. One of the reasons I think it works so well on an explorer as the body is pointy too so it flows nicely to the heastock.. Oddly enough what I was going to suggest for the victory is a more simple firebird headstock which is sort of what the original one looks like.  

And the headstock was on the Epiphone-Gibson Telecaster…why not just make a full Gibson reissue of those (with set neck probably)? ?
I’d have thought the Tele would have more appeal than these or the Theodore? ….A Tele with Gibson nitro cherry sunburst paint job! 👍

Hey, they could be called a Theocaster and then both PRS and Fender could combine and save on legal costs. Everyone wins 😀

4 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

I wonder why its so heavy? All maple maybe? I have a couple of all maples that make me ache. 

The originals had maple bodies, IIRC, while the new ones have mahogany bodies, or mahogany with a AA figured maple cap, depending on which version we're talking about. The scale length is also different on the originals (24.75" vs. 25.5" on the new ones), too. The new ones are supposedly lighter than the ones from the 80s. 

On 9/10/2024 at 11:45 AM, Rabs said:

oavlzWe.jpg

Though I'm not a fan of that body shape, but the headstock in the above image does match much nicer than the Explorer headstock shape. To me this guitar just doesn't have any of that Gibson vibe I look for. If I had voice in a Gibson Strat re-release, it would be the US models from the 80's like the two I have that I seldom play. lol

Gibson%20US-1_zpsbj180pd6.png

image_zpsac10e6c1.jpg

• Like 1