Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Victory guitars

Rabs

10 hours ago, Larsongs said:

OffsetGuitars.com a Fender Forum has a Thread about these. 

I'm a member on OSG. Yes, they have a thread that discusses the new Victory models. 

https://offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=128883

However, if you ask the good folks over there if the Victory is truly an offset body design, I think you'll find that the majority of them will tell you that it is not. Again, a true offset has one side (the bass side) of the body's waist that's closer to the neck than the other (the treble side), like a Jaguar or Jazz Bass. The Victory has a symmetrical waist, not an offset waist. 

1 hour ago, Phil OKeefe said:

I'm a member on OSG. Yes, they have a thread that discusses the new Victory models. 

However, if you ask the good folks over there if the Victory is truly an offset body design, I think you'll find that the majority of them will tell you that it is not. Again, a true offset has one side (the bass side) of the body's waist that's closer to the neck than the other (the treble side), like a Jaguar or Jazz Bass. The Victory has a symmetrical waist, not an offset waist. 

The Bass side is closer to the neck at the Pics I’m seeing. Including the OP’s Pic of 3 Victory’s..

It may appear that way, but it's really not. Compare it to a Duo Sonic or a Jazz Bass. That's an offset. It's not "close" or subtle at all. It's really obvious. While I don't have a Victory here to take side by side comparison photos, here are two of my Fenders that illustrate it pretty clearly. 

image.thumb.jpeg.86fec5784eba31a48f78ef620f8ab1e0.jpeg

1975 Duo Sonic (no, the Duo Sonic wasn't made in '75, but this was converted from a '75 Musicmaster at the Fender Custom Shop by my friend and former bandmate Dennis Galuszka).  This is an offset. Offset bodies are not subtle – they're very obvious. 

image.thumb.jpeg.099f1a98d8db3817c819e049f97a0a9b.jpeg

1986 MIJ 1962 Custom Telecaster Reissue. Not an offset. 

Here's the Fender Jazzmaster Patent that covers (and describes) an offset waist body:

https://patents.google.com/patent/US2960900A

"Electric guitars are conventionally constructed with relatively solid bodies formed of hardwood and relatively heavy. Such bodies, at least in the case of guitars adapted to be played when in a generally vertical or upright plane, have previously been manufactured with recesses or depressions in the upper and lower edges thereof. Such recesses are conventionally directly opposite each other, that is to say have their centers disposed generally on a perpendicular to the longitudinal axis of the guitar. It has been found, however, that such positioning of the recesses or depressions causes the guitarist to be relatively uncomfortable during playing, and results in awkwardness and difficulty in achieving the proper and desired plucking or picking positions. Stated otherwise, it has been discovered that the conventional body construction of an electric guitar is susceptible of great improvement in order to increase the comfort of the guitarist and result in improved playing with minimized awkwardness, especially as regards the relative locations of the recesses in the upper and lower edges of the guitar body."

13 hours ago, Phil OKeefe said:

I’m a member also. Maybe there’s something wrong with my eyes but the waist & body of the Victory’s look offset to me. The pickups aren’t slanted but I’m not aware of that being required to qualify.

11 hours ago, Larsongs said:

I’m a member also. Maybe there’s something wrong with my eyes but the waist & body of the Victory’s look offset to me. The pickups aren’t slanted but I’m not aware of that being required to qualify.

A Jaguar doesn't have slanted pickups, nor does a Jazz Bass, and neither does a Jazzmaster, but all three are true offset body designs. The shape and angle of the pickups doesn't matter – only the drastically asymmetrical waist. 

1 hour ago, Phil OKeefe said:

A Jaguar doesn't have slanted pickups, nor does a Jazz Bass, and neither does a Jazzmaster, but all three are true offset body designs. The shape and angle of the pickups doesn't matter – only the drastically asymmetrical waist. 

I know. I own an AV65 Jaguar & an AV65 Jazzmaster. I was pointing out to you angle of Pickups don’t figure into it.

To my eye the Waist on the Bass side are shifted forward towards the neck. Also, the entire Body is shifted forward. Looks like an Offset to me.