Gibson Brands Forums

I've Never Understood the Hype About _________________!

Ceptorman

Music Videos.

But first: opera is not music video.

From The Archees, The Monkeys, the Beatles movies and on, I did not get it then, and still don't get it today. MTV completely escapes me. I confess I have seen a few that made me chuckle. But I belive they all distract/detract  from the MUSIC.  

3 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Live is how the Dead did it. Albums were an excuse to tour. Then they mostly stayed on tour. If you want album recommendation's, the studio albums I most listen to are Workingman’s Dead, American Beauty, Wake Of The Flood and From The Mars Hotel. If those disappoint you go no further with listening to their studio albums. I usually listen to full live shows. Here are some good ones - Cornell May 8, 1977, RFK Stadium June 10, 1973, and Lyceum Theater May 26, 1972. If you catch The Dead on a bad night and you’re not familiar with them or are not a fan, it can be a bummer. Yes most real Dead Heads are stinky, patchouli wearing, dirty old hippies.  

I will give them another shot, my experience with them was 43 years ago! They all seemed pretty drunk or stoned, who knows, I just didn't see the appeal at the time. 

My thought while watching them was....."I can play better than that"!

• Like 2

Since Rap and Hip Hop appeared, the example of either genre that I appreciate or can even stand has not yet been written, and frankly I wouldn't be upset if their artists would stop trying to compose one.

RBSinTo

Edited by RBSinTo

I've never been into hip hop or C-rap, but I will say that anytime I want to show off my home stereo I play a rap CD my cousin gave me probably 20 years ago. It sounds incredible, has a ton of bass and great separation. It just sounds better than any other recording, I really don't know what they do to get it to sound better. It's a Project Pat song called  "Still ridin clean"

I won't subject your guys to that song on here....explicit material warning!

It reminds me of the old car stereos that had a loudness button.

12 hours ago, tlwwalker said:

Music Videos.

But first: opera is not music video.

From The Archees, The Monkeys, the Beatles movies and on, I did not get it then, and still don't get it today. MTV completely escapes me. I confess I have seen a few that made me chuckle. But I belive they all distract/detract  from the MUSIC.  

I liked MTV as it beat waiting every year to see what your favorite bands looked like... what guitars they were playing and how they dressed. But MTV did eventually kill groups that didn't focus on image... bands like Alan Parsons Project, Steely Dan and others. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

I've never been into hip hop or C-rap, but I will say that anytime I want to show off my home stereo I play a rap CD my cousin gave me probably 20 years ago. It sounds incredible, has a ton of bass and great separation. It just sounds better than any other recording, I really don't know what they do to get it to sound better. It's a Project Pat song called  "Still ridin clean"

I won't subject your guys to that song on here....explicit material warning!

It reminds me of the old car stereos that had a loudness button.

If you ever want a list of superbly recorded tracks in some other genres, let me know. I might have a few on my reference mix list that would probably show off your stereo really well.

Loudness buttons are often misunderstood. They don't really make everything "louder" in an overall volume sense. They are designed to compensate for an anomaly in human hearing. Our hearing is not linear, and we are less sensitive to low and high frequencies at lower volume levels. A loudness button is an attempt to compensate for that by boosting low and high frequencies at low playback levels. Look up "equal loudness contour" or "Fletcher-Munson curve" if you're interested in learning more. Anyway, that particular quirk of human hearing is why you'll see notes like "meant to be listened to LOUD" on some records. Play a mix that was done at high volume levels back at lower volume levels, and the overall EQ and relative levels of the mix elements can change quite noticeably. 

17 hours ago, Phil OKeefe said:

Michael Bolton (in Office Space) totally nailed my thoughts on Michael Bolton (the singer), too. And please don't get me started on Kenny G... 

I loved when he called him an a-ss clown. I use that all the time. 

2 hours ago, duane v said:

I liked MTV as it beat waiting every year to see what your favorite bands looked like... what guitars they were playing and how they dressed. But MTV did eventually kill groups that didn't focus on image... bands like Alan Parsons Project, Steely Dan and others. 

MTV also made household names of groups just because they looked suave. And they basically ruined TV inventing reality TV.

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

MTV also made household names of groups just because they looked suave. And they basically ruined TV inventing reality TV.

I dig some reality TV:

Big Brother (My Favorite)

Survivor

Amazing Race

37 minutes ago, duane v said:

I dig some reality TV:

Big Brother (My Favorite)

Survivor

Amazing Race

Apparently you should be married to my wife, she loves that trash tv. People lying and doing anything to get prize money, then crying when they have to vote some out.

I got a great idea let’s film people just going throughout their day doing there normal day stuff, working, eating, arguing. People will love it. I think the same people helped come up with another useless thing, taking a perfectly good new guitar and making it look beat to hell. I don’t want to go to work, I want to watch people work on tv, silly to me.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ksdaddy said:

I’m pop riveting some sheet metal onto the rocker panels of an ‘09 Focus. 

And the Emmy goes to…..

KSD of course then Kanye or Jezzy or whatever his name is this week is gonna come up on stage and rant that you are not deserving of such an award. He’s also going to grab the award from you and stuff it in his cheeks.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

5 hours ago, Phil OKeefe said:

If you ever want a list of superbly recorded tracks in some other genres, let me know. I might have a few on my reference mix list that would probably show off your stereo really well.

Loudness buttons are often misunderstood. They don't really make everything "louder" in an overall volume sense. They are designed to compensate for an anomaly in human hearing. Our hearing is not linear, and we are less sensitive to low and high frequencies at lower volume levels. A loudness button is an attempt to compensate for that by boosting low and high frequencies at low playback levels. Look up "equal loudness contour" or "Fletcher-Munson curve" if you're interested in learning more. Anyway, that particular quirk of human hearing is why you'll see notes like "meant to be listened to LOUD" on some records. Play a mix that was done at high volume levels back at lower volume levels, and the overall EQ and relative levels of the mix elements can change quite noticeably. 

Interesting stuff. I learned a little bit about sound and acoustics from a friend of mine. He's the lead acoustic engineer for Klipsch Technology. That's where I got all of my speakers, Klipsch Palladium speakers. He designed them back in 2009. I try not to bug him too much with my silly questions, because I know he gets bombed with questions constantly. I quickly realized how important a good subwoofer is, the thing goes down to 18 hz. Not a lot of music gets that far down. Does great for movies also.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, sparquelito said:

I always understood the hype about Heep. 

😛

x1080

I have always liked Uriah Heep.  They were the opening act for KISS circa 1977.   While KISS put in a good show,  Uriah Heep blew KISS’s doors off as far as musicianship goes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, tx-ogre said:

I have always liked Uriah Heep.  They were the opening act for KISS circa 1977.   While KISS put in a good show,  Uriah Heep blew KISS’s doors off as far as musicianship goes.

No way. Can you imagine when Rush opened for Kiss? Hey Gene this is how a bass is played.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

No way. Can you imagine when Rush opened for Kiss? Hey Gene this is how a bass is played.

Perhaps, but has Geddy demonstrated the ability to squeeze every last drop of blood out of a penny like Gene has?  Man’s gots to know his limitations.

1 hour ago, tx-ogre said:

Perhaps, but has Geddy demonstrated the ability to squeeze every last drop of blood out of a penny like Gene has?  Man’s gots to know his limitations.

Gene like you is gonna take it with him.

3 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Gene like you is gonna take it with him.

Contraire Pierre.  Gene is an entirely different league.  I couldn’t possibly survive in the “rarified air” with the likes of him.  I am a no talent hack on guitar/bass, and an even worse businessman.  I have no experience in squeezing people until they pop to get the last possible penny out of them.  I feel so inadequate.   I’m not taking anything worthwhile with me after my demise.  While it does suck  to admit my inadequacies, it seems almost obligatory to say “long live Gene! “  Well, maybe not.

Edited by tx-ogre

On 9/16/2024 at 5:55 PM, duane v said:

I don't mind some hip hop and rap... This is one of  my favorite rap jams.

Love the annoying electronic stale back beat that stays the same throughout the, I guess it’s a song.