Gibson Brands Forums

I've Never Understood the Hype About _________________!

Ceptorman

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Love the annoying electronic stale back beat that stays the same throughout the, I guess it’s a song. 

I know a few rock songs that have the same three chords throughout the whole song..... Any way you want it comes to mind.

4 minutes ago, duane v said:

I know a few rock songs that have the same three chords throughout the whole song..... Any way you want it comes to mind.

Of course but that is Rap’s/ Hip Hop’s bread and butter. Wear out a backing track to ad nauseum while mostly yelling, unless it’s one of those smoooooooth tender rap love songs. Rock has always been mysoginistic, but Rap takes it there x 1000.  

20 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

Interesting stuff. I learned a little bit about sound and acoustics from a friend of mine. He's the lead acoustic engineer for Klipsch Technology. That's where I got all of my speakers, Klipsch Palladium speakers. He designed them back in 2009. I try not to bug him too much with my silly questions, because I know he gets bombed with questions constantly. I quickly realized how important a good subwoofer is, the thing goes down to 18 hz. Not a lot of music gets that far down. Does great for movies also.

Very cool! Klipsch makes some very nice products. 

Subwoofers are great additions, especially if your room can support those lower frequencies. I have one in my control room, and another hooked up to a multi-synth workstation I have set up in another room, and they really add a lot, especially if your main speakers bottom out at 60-100Hz or so, like a lot of home theater and even home studio monitors do. Most music-related stuff (except for maybe 808 kicks, synths, and some things like that), don't get anywhere near 20 Hz. A four string bass guitar's lowest E is in the 40 Hz range. For TV / home theater, subwoofers can make things like explosions and other low frequency-heavy sounds not only sound, but feel a lot more dramatic. 

On 9/16/2024 at 11:16 AM, Sgt. Pepper said:

I don’t get the hype for:

Taylor Swift

U2

Rap Music

Bruuuuuuuuce

Jimmy Buffett

Joe Bonnamassa

Green Day

Clapton is a fine player, but can’t remember the last time I put something of his on, and if I did it was Cream.

Beyonce

Ken And Barbie Country Music

More to come as my brain wakes up . . . 

I like u2 and in the 80s, the Edge did some very interesting layering of his guitar like the intro of Pride in the name of love. The reason they are so beloved is in the sea of 80s bands that all cared about their aqua net, u2 jus came out and played their music and did not bother much with image.

The edges riffs were always creative, interesting and relatively easy to play (save a few) and he was the first guy that made me want to pick up a Stratocaster and play it. I knew i could never do what SRV did, but i could play new years day! 

As for Clapton, he was always a very solid guitar player but i never thought he was even close to the best in any era, i mean albert king and buddy guy, gary moore and srv were the guys who made me realize ill never be on that level ever, some people just have a gift.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Phil OKeefe said:

Very cool! Klipsch makes some very nice products. 

Subwoofers are great additions, especially if your room can support those lower frequencies. I have one in my control room, and another hooked up to a multi-synth workstation I have set up in another room, and they really add a lot, especially if your main speakers bottom out at 60-100Hz or so, like a lot of home theater and even home studio monitors do. Most music-related stuff (except for maybe 808 kicks, synths, and some things like that), don't get anywhere near 20 Hz. A four string bass guitar's lowest E is in the 40 Hz range. For TV / home theater, subwoofers can make things like explosions and other low frequency-heavy sounds not only sound, but feel a lot more dramatic. 

They do make some wonderful products. They make a home speaker that has been in continuous production since 1946....Klipschorn. Not everyone likes horn loaded speakers, because some of their models didn't quite like some of the amplifiers and were thought to sound "tinny"...a little too bright on the high end. Most of their speakers are incredible efficient, a Khorn, LaScala, or Belle can achieve 120db from a 5 watts tube amp. But those are refrigerator sized speakers, and not every likes that idea.

My towers go down to a claimed 35hz, so they cover most musical instruments other than an organ, double bass, synths and I'm sure you know of some others. I do leave my towers set to large on my home theater receiver (not recommended) just because they blend so well with the matching sub, and I don't blow the windows out with the volume control.

If you're at a movie cinema, there's a 50% chance you're listening to a Klipsch Pro Cinema system, and it's shocking how small those systems actually are.

I'll bet you have some fine sounding monitors in your studios, big sound from a small package. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

I'll bet you have some fine sounding monitors in your studios, big sound from a small package. 

I used to be an ADAM Audio endorser, so I have several sets of those. I'm still using ADAM S3-A's as my primary monitors with a KRK sub. Like all ADAM monitors, they use folded ribbon tweeters that extend out past 30 kHz. I've gotten really used to how they sound and they translate really well, so I've stuck with them. The S3-A's have a claimed 35Hz low frequency response, but they're not as full down there as I prefer, so the sub helps with that, and I have it set up so I can footswitch it in and out whenever I want. I also have a pair of ADAM A7s as nearfields, and a set of A5s in another room that I also use with a KRK sub. I also have some KRK  monitors, as well as a pair of Gibson Les Paul 8" monitors I use in the living room. for casual listening. I'll occasionally check mixes on those, too.  

1 hour ago, Phil OKeefe said:

I used to be an ADAM Audio endorser, so I have several sets of those. I'm still using ADAM S3-A's as my primary monitors with a KRK sub. Like all ADAM monitors, they use folded ribbon tweeters that extend out past 30 kHz. I've gotten really used to how they sound and they translate really well, so I've stuck with them. The S3-A's have a claimed 35Hz low frequency response, but they're not as full down there as I prefer, so the sub helps with that, and I have it set up so I can footswitch it in and out whenever I want. I also have a pair of ADAM A7s as nearfields, and a set of A5s in another room that I also use with a KRK sub. I also have some KRK  monitors, as well as a pair of Gibson Les Paul 8" monitors I use in the living room. for casual listening. I'll occasionally check mixes on those, too.  

Interesting. Are most studio monitors active? Can you eliminate the amp and power them yourself?

Edited by Ceptorman

1 hour ago, Ceptorman said:

Interesting. Are most studio monitors active? Can you eliminate the amp and power them yourself?

Years ago, most studio monitors were passive. The classic Yamaha NS-10s (which I have used many, many times, but never really liked) were originally unpowered bookshelf monitors for the consumer market until engineers started using them as a nearfield reference that could simulate what the typical home listener was using. I still have some vintage JBL passive mains in storage, but I haven't used passive monitors in years. Most studio monitors today are active. It allows the designers to optimize the various elements to work optimally together as a system – drivers, enclosure, power amps, and crossovers. I could probably modify an active pair of monitors for passive use, but at the minimum, I'd have to make a new crossover in order to do it, or wire the components separately, use an external crossover, and bi- or tri-amp them. 

I never understood the hype about Sheepdog1969. 

Sure he's really cool, laid back and really smart. 

Sure women adore him and men want to be like him, but he's just an ordinary guy with extra ordinary looks, brains, charm....

What's that?       People reading this can see that I'm writing this about myself?!?

Never mind.

Edited by Sheepdog1969
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sheepdog1969 said:

I never understood the hype about Sheepdog1969. 

Sure he's really cool, laid back and really smart. 

Sure women adore him and men want to be like him, but he's just an ordinary guy with extra ordinary looks, brains, charm....

What's that?       People reading this can see that I'm writing this about myself?!?

Never mind.

Yeah. That guy….

• Haha 1

Thought I accidentally logged into the Klipsch forum. Most of my stuff is Polk Audio, but I do have some bookshelf speakers from Klipsch I use as my rear surround sound speakers. 

But if we are gonna go this direction, never understood the hype about Bose Speakers. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Aside from folks like Clapton, Paige, Clark, Campbell, Atkins, etc., I am sincerely impressed by the abilities and music knowledge of the pickers on this forum.  I’ve played for 60+ years, just from playing with friends, music books, and gradually trying new things.  Never a really good player, but I love playing at home and public venues and am continuously inspired by discussions like this and the people in here.  Without discussions like this, my knowledge of great guitar players would end with Hendrix, Campbell, Clark, and a few others.  Good stuff!

22 hours ago, Gibson Artist said:

The reason they are so beloved is in the sea of 80s bands that all cared about their aqua net, u2 jus came out and played their music and did not bother much with image.

I'd have loved it if they'd focused on Aqua Net instead of releasing the blandest music in the history of the world. YMMV.

1 hour ago, Pinch said:

I'd have loved it if they'd focused on Aqua Net instead of releasing the blandest music in the history of the world. YMMV.

With tons  of The Sides guitars going through processers. War is all I can take from them. Before War they were to New Wavy for me, and after War, I could no longer take hearing the jugga jugga jugga of the guitar. Joshua Tree is one album I never want to hear again. And all the ones after it too. 

I don’t get Rage Against The Machine. Tom Morello’s playing grates on my auditory nerves, and the lead screamer, screams the same line over and over. How many damn times does he yell “killing in the name of” ?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I hate RATM. They wear symbols of oppressive mass-murdering regimes and think they're enlightened. Edgelords in their 60s...

We don't talk politics here, but even if we did, my wanting them to be forcefully moved to Cuba has nothing to do with politics. I just think it would be in the best interest of the Cosmos and the Universe.

Edited by Pinch

2 hours ago, MissouriPicker said:

Aside from folks like Clapton, Paige, Clark, Campbell, Atkins, etc., I am sincerely impressed by the abilities and music knowledge of the pickers on this forum....

Glen, or Vivian?

Personally, I think both are (was, in Glen's case–RIP) monster players. 

6 hours ago, Phil OKeefe said:

Glen, or Vivian?

Personally, I think both are (was, in Glen's case–RIP) monster players. 

I used to argue with a friend when we were young guys, 16 year olds, who was the better guitar player, Glen Campbell or Roy Clark. My dad watched Her Haw and I was familiar with Roy. It wasn't until decades later that I saw a few videos of Glen playing, he was amazing. His rendition of the William Tell overture was incredible. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Pinch said:

I hate RATM. They wear symbols of oppressive mass-murdering regimes and think they're enlightened. Edgelords in their 60s...

We don't talk politics here, but even if we did, my wanting them to be forcefully moved to Cuba has nothing to do with politics. I just think it would be in the best interest of the Cosmos and the Universe.

I will add Pearl Jam to my list. His monotone unrecognizable vocals are for the stoned people, I can't understand them.

12 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

I used to argue with a friend when we were young guys, 16 year olds, who was the better guitar player, Glen Campbell or Roy Clark. My dad watched Her Haw and I was familiar with Roy. It wasn't until decades later that I saw a few videos of Glen playing, he was amazing. His rendition of the William Tell overture was incredible. 

Glen wasn’t a member the Wrecking Crew cause he had no chops. What made people think he was a joke was his cheese ball hit Rhinestone Cowboy.

57 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Glen wasn’t a member the Wrecking Crew cause he had no chops. What made people think he was a joke was his cheese ball hit Rhinestone Cowboy.

Ok.. Pepper, you're not just up to your tricks again, and kidding right?

Glenn was part of the Wrecking Crew, it's well documented

The Wrecking Crew (music) - Wikipedia

Glen Campbell - Wikipedia

I can't take your comment seriously. 

He was a great guitarist and great performer.