Gibson Brands Forums

My Quest is over.

duluthdan

I may have stumbled into a perfect storm.  I think my hunt has ended and I may never buy another guitar.  I recently acquired a really nice players grade ’44 Banner SJ and have an incredible Martin D-28 Authentic Aged that my friend Ren Ferguson built a custom neck for before his new endeavor got crazy busy.

And you know what?  These two guitars have the best tone and playability I have ever experienced, and cover the whole range of music I play - The D-28 covers all the Neil Young/CSN stuff, and the Gibson nicely fills in all the Americana and original songs I play. And I realize I don’t need anything else.  These two guitars have such outstanding clarity and tone I can’t imagine ever finding better, and I’ve played a lot of guitars.

I am keeping the J-45 True Vintage, and the J-35 Vintage reissue - great guitars in their own right - I make money renting out the J-45 (really a killer example) and use the J-35 at open mics, outside gatherings and places you might deem uncomfortable for taking out a vintage banner.

In addition my age and condition(MS) are dragging down my ability to play and to learn new stuff.  So, I think I’m done.

I am considering installing a Trance Audio stereo pickup in each guitar so that I have the flexibility of amplification when appropriate. If Jackson Browne can put one of these in his Vintage Roy Smecks, I can put one in a players grade banner.

wocVpcc.jpg

• Like 2

If that's player grade, I'd hate to see how my old J-45 would be described. 

Let's see, Dan's SJ: 

Finish: beautifully aged, original mid-forties sunburst,   ✔️

Pickguard: intact and undamaged, ✔️

Bridge: looks to be original, and not shrunken away from the burst, ✔️

Spruce around the soundhole not eroded, ✔️

Fretboard not a collection of note-bending divots, +1

Headstock not used to navigate in the dark, logo, banner, and tuner buttons all look great, ✔️

Wishing you many years of enjoyment.

• Like 1

Approximately the 2 finest acoustics in the world.

You inner peace is understood.

Ferguson had to do with the Mart neck ?!!

And just curious - what is your (insurance)policy if the 45 gets damaged while out on vulcans ?

Cool!  After a whole lot of years my 1942 J50 remains at the top of my Gibson hill.  No quest involved.  This guitar had been rumored to exist locally for many years but nobody seemed to know where it was.  Then one day out of the blue I got a call from a close friend who owns a small music shop saying, "guess what just walked through my door which I now own."  I think was down there before he hung up the phone. 

The thing about Banners though is that no guitar speaks as eloquently to a specific time and place as they do.  You do not really feel like you own them as much as you have been appointed their caretaker.

7 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

Cool!  After a whole lot of years my 1942 J50 remains at the top of my Gibson hill.  No quest involved.  This guitar had been rumored to exist locally for many years but nobody seemed to know where it was.  Then one day out of the blue I got a call from a close friend who owns a small music shop saying, "guess what just walked through my door which I now own."  I think was down there before he hung up the phone. 

The thing about Banners though is that no guitar speaks as eloquently to a specific time and place as they do.  You do not really feel like you own them as much as you have been appointed their caretaker.

I’ve come to believe that I’m just a Caretaker for my Guitars as well. But, I still play them like I own them. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Larsongs said:

I’ve come to believe that I’m just a Caretaker for my Guitars as well. But, I still play them like I own them. 

We sure are - but I own my guitars, no doubt. If nowhere else it's proved by the set-up, , , , and my tr-shields & b-pins. 

In worse cases the dingz. . . . . 

While I’m happy for the OP & those are beautiful Guitars. I never tire of trying new or vintage Guitars.

I’m very happy with my Collection of Guitars. Occasionally I find one that complements my Collection && it comes home with me.

My wife says I’m a hoarder & she’s probably right. I find I need different Tools for the various types of music I play & different Tools depending on what Band I’m playing with. Or, I think I do.

At some point I’ll sell off most of them & keep just the essential’s. Meanwhile I’m having fun & getting much enjoyment from my passion.