Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson SG and Pickup question

DonSimon

I have a Gibson SG Non-Faded Special and I do not know what pickups are in it. They have the Gibson USA logo stamped on them and gray leads. I have included pics to maybe help. The serial number says that the guitar was made in May of 2005 at the Nashville plant. I know the Specials come with uncovered pickups so these must have been bought separately or came out of another guitar. 4-conductor wiring. 9.1 & 9.4 Ohm readings. Any guesses as to what they are?

GibsonSGSpecial01.jpg

GibsonSGSpecial04.jpg

GibsonSGSpecial03.jpg

they very well may be regular Gibson covers put on the stock pickups. People do that alot and IMO it looks much better than the exposed coils.

The only thing is that gray wire. I've had a look at the guts of my SG and I don't recall it having that wire. I could definately be wrong though.

they very well may be regular Gibson covers put on the stock pickups. People do that alot and IMO it looks much better than the exposed coils. The only exposed coils I like are créme and sometimes zebra. At first glance I thought it was a standard. They should just come from the factory like that because it looks so much nicer. You have a sweet specimen of an SG special.

The only thing is that gray wire. I've had a look at the guts of my SG and I don't recall it having that wire. I could definately be wrong though.

The gray wire is what has me perplexed. I am used to seeing the cloth-like covered wire.

Also, aren't all factory-installed Gibson pickups two conductor wiring?

It is more of a curiousity than anything else. I have pulled them out of the guitar because they weren't doing much for me. I put a Rockfield SWC set in it and like it better. I just figured I wanted to figure out what they were because I was thinking of putting them in my Epi Dot.

yeah I beleive they're two conductors.

You should put those in your dot. The dots are great just not the greatest electronics. My buddy had one and I loved it. The only thing is the knobs came loose eventually and it was pretty bad (easy fix but shouldn't happen). He traded it and regrets his decision.

Archived