Gibson Brands Forums

ES 175 Users, What Strings Do You Use

Californiaman

Well....

I started off some 30+ years ago with flatwounds with roughly 12s on top; then went to a nylon-wrapped jazz string roughly the same. Frankly I didn't even like the guitar and I think it was the strings.

After my big guitar layoff I was playing the SG type with light strings. It was fun picking again. Then I went to the big box and I still disliked it. Kinda like meeting somebody whose looks you love but didn't like the personality well enough even to be friends.

Then I tried lighter strings.

The Elixir polyweb .42 to 9 work marvelously. Not quite as thick sounding perhaps, but a lot more ease and left hand work capability for me.

Then again, figure I play fingerstyle bare fingered.

Now I call her my baby. Nice looks, nice sound, nice personality that seems to like me. What more can you ask?

m

• 3 weeks later...
I use D'Addario EXL115W' date=' 11-49 with a wound G.

What do you guys use?[/quote']

Hi Californiaman,

Have just bought a set of D'addario EXL116W, 11-52 because my local luthier couldn't stop recommanding them...I'll keep you posted of the outcome!

Greetz!

Kris

• 3 months later...
Thomastik Infeld Swing (flats) .12s

I tried all the rest' date=' these work for me.

Look for the string mega-thread at www.jazzguitar.be for a good (and long) reading time

=D>[/quote']

My first post on the Gibson site. I just got a 175, but I am a long time Thomastik Swing user. Love them. And, so far I am happy with 12s, as well.

• 4 weeks later...

I use D'Addario flat wound 12's ECG25's. I like the warmth of the sound. For me its all about what style of music you are playing and what sound you are chasing! The flat wounds favour more of a jazz sound.

After using Thomastik Infelds Swing (Flats) 12s for a long time, I tried the same brand/gauge but round wounds (TI Bop). The results were ok, nothing to be crazy about. Today, after one month of using the rounds, I took the chance and put TI's Swings 13s. I had tried the Bop rounds in 13 before, but these flats are definitively made for the ES-175.

They do not feel stiff at all, the low tension on the set works great to balance out the extra thickness. The intonation was perfect after the change, and I just lowered the bridge a little to compensate the string change and its effect on the neck.

The guitar has an extra ringing sound now, with more sustain and body.

Not going back to 12s on this one...!

Archived