Gibson Brands Forums

Piezo for les paul.

Andre S

I originally wanted an acoustic guitar and a better amp than a spider 3, so i decided to put an acoustic pickup like the gibson slash . But what is the best pickup to do this ? and would it sound alright through the line 6 or should i get an acoustic amp?

Fishman makes a few electric guitar bridges with piezos in the saddles. It's best to have an onboard preamp (which would sacrifice one of your tone knobs unless you wanted to drill and rout for another knob on the guitar) like their Power Chip because otherwise you need a stereo jack and cord, and the piezo runs to a separate amplifier from the magetic pickup signal. That's not a bad thing, since piezos don't sound very good through a guitar amp (you'd have to set it very very clean) but the guitar can sound great with the piezo into a direct box and the PA or a separate amp and the electric signal going to a regular rig. The Power Chip has a smart jack that senses whether you have a mono or stereo cord plugged in. If its a regular mono cord, it will mix the two types of pickups signals (without an active buffer like this, you can't just mix the two signals onboard). I have a powerbridge on a Tele style guitar and it sounds nice, but it will never sound completely like a real acoustic unfortunately.

Thunder my fishman is Nickel!

I think those in nickel are made exclusively for certain brands, special models and signatures and only come preinstalled, I haven't found nickel finish on either maker's websites or stores, only chrome and gold.

Archived