Gibson Brands Forums

Acoustic in the $400 range

Bluemoon

What is a decent acoustic in the $400 range. Just looking for something to mess around with.

I used to have a Tacoma and loved it...but sold it a few years ago to fund another guitar purchase (never a good idea).

Seagull.

I preach Seagull all the time. Sorry, they just make a good guitar on the cheap! If you want anything other than plain jane, you might not be happy though.... I think of Seagulls like early Flatiron mandolins and Earthwood basses.... bare bones and hippie-ish. If you're okay with that, then snap one up. You likee.

Washburn makes some really good acoustics in that range.......

my old D10SB has been beaten to death, overheated, chilled, etc, and still sounds great.

The neck is straight, the action is rock bottom low, and it's tone is as sweet as any < $500 guitar.

It's been voted "Best acoustic for under $500" by several magazines and players boards for a reason.

What is a decent acoustic in the $400 range. Just looking for something to mess around with.

I used to have a Tacoma and loved it...but sold it a few years ago to fund another guitar purchase (never a good idea).

Takamine EG 440SE

For Laminate Wood Guitars, I like Epiphone (I'm not just saying that 'cause it's a Gibson Forum). I like the Jumbos, but the Dove and Hummingbird are cool to. The PR5-E is cool if you like a little smaller and more playable Acoustic Electric with nice fret access. Finding an All Solid Wood Guitar in that price range isn't as easy.

I never played an acoustic I really liked (including Martins) until I played my '03 J45 RW.

I wouldn't trade it for a solid gold monkey.

Just sayin'.

Best to ya.

Murph.

Blue Moon...

I'd say it depends on what you wanna play and I'm not sure on brand.

What the heck, each guitar changes your technique - or at least, I think it should.

You might even think about using fingerstyle on a nylon string box.

A guitar student of mine years ago when I was teaching a bit had a nice "regular-size" Gibson I didn't appreciate as much then as I now think I should have.

At the time I pickup up a cupla Ovation electric-acoustics, one steel, one nylon, some of the first on the general marketplace as I recall. They're not bad at all but in retrospect, I think I'd now get the Gibbie and a wood classic. Why? Well, the Ovations were good for getting beaten up a little, but there's just ... something.

I did pick up a cupla years ago a cheapie 12 that's all wood.

For what it's worth, I think there's a lot better quality around in ways than there was in the 60s, and in every price range.

But... first, what do you want it for? That determines size, acoustic only or electric-acoustic... then start looking.

Archived