Gibson Brands Forums

Re: soldering pickups.

Andre S

My LP studio has 490R, 498T. humbuckers as usual. I want to put in Seymour Duncan Alnico Pro 2 pickups, but i want to change it, since the store will take two weeks to do that. Im new to soldering guitar stuff and have decent experience in soldering overally. When I open the back plates for the toogle and potentiometers I see:

A pair of braided wires, soldered to the back of the volume pots for bridge and neck.

The braiding falls back leaving a black material which strips back to a single wire soldered to a volume pot lug.

A capacitor is soldered between the volume and tone pots of each.

A grey wire which leads to yellow, green, red and black ( presumably from the toogle) and solders on to various pots and lugs.

Right ? So a basic LP wiring from factory. can I just desolder the braided part from the back of the volume pot and the exposed part from the lug and just reconnect the APH-1 how it was before? ie, braided to back of pot and exposed to the same lug as the original pup? Thanks a lot!

ps camera not working thats why no pics to better explain. sry

Jason Lollar has great video clips on his site for installing pickups. They're so well done that I'd seriously consider Lollar pickups for my next swap. Not that the Duncan clip isn't informative, too. Just make some sort of cardboard mask for the guitar so you don't hurt the finish and you'll be fine. Keep the soldering iron tip clean. Lots of luck.

I'd get the shop to do it for you man. I installed a Dimarzio DP100 super distortion into my epi les paul standard and now it is ****ed up and has no output what-so-ever. And I've been debating on scavenging the parts for that thing or taking it to an expert to fix it. it's a big price if you make a mistake.

Archived