Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Hummingbird vs Epiphone Hummingbird?

Christer

I have a Gibson Hummingbird and I totally love this guitar, however I quite often hear people say that the Epiphone Hummingbird is basically as good as the Gibson. I haven´t tried the Epiphone and would really like to hear the opinion from someone that played both instrument.

Personally I can´t imagine the epiphone is even close to the Gibson in craftmanship, intonation and sound. I get the feeling that shopkeepers tend to overrate the Epiphone to their customers because you can sell larger volumes and people trust their local music dealer.

Thank You

The Epiphone Hummingbird is not made with the same quality of wood that a Gibson is, so even if you could argue that the building of an Epi were as good as a Gibson (I would not make this argument) you still have to account for the differences in materials.

The best analogy I could offer is this: Imagine that you have some furniture made out of wood - two end tables. One is made by a craftsman who painstakingly selects the pieces of wood, cuts for the grain he wants to see facing out etc. and the other piece is made by a guy with a couple of months of woodworking experience using lots of power tools. Because the guy with lesser experience is more prone to error, you give him the B grade wood while the craftsman table is made with AA and AAA grade timber.

Using approximately the same plans, the tables are going to look rather similar, but when you get into the details you will see the craftsman's table is far superior.

With guitars, it is about the same. A Gibson Hummingbird is made by craftsmen - primarily by hand - and the details of it are worked over with care and attention.

An Epiphone Hummingbird is made in a production facility where the goal is quantity that will pass certain quality standards. The people working in Bozeman have a very different skill set and approach to working than the factory workers in Indonesia or Japan.

I recently bought an Epiphone EL-00 (Indonesia) that is an amazing guitar for the price. Other forumites have Masterbuilt (made in Japan) guitars they are really happy with. However, you will likely never hear anyone here state the Epiphones are equal to the Gibsons.

My recommendation to you would be to play your Gibson at home and get an Epiphone for travel, the beach, camping etc.

An Epiphone Hummingbird is made in a production facility where the goal is quantity that will pass certain quality standards. The people working in Bozeman have a very different skill set and approach to working than the factory workers in Indonesia or Japan.

I recently bought an Epiphone EL-00 (Indonesia) that is an amazing guitar for the price. Other forumites have Masterbuilt (made in Japan) guitars they are really happy with. However' date=' you will likely never hear anyone here state the Epiphones are equal to the Gibsons.

My recommendation to you would be to play your Gibson at home and get an Epiphone for travel, the beach, camping etc.[/quote']

Just wanted to clarify a couple of things Ballcorner posted about Epiphone manufacturing, for posterity's sake.

Epiphone Masterbilts are made in China, not Japan.

No Epis have been made in Japan for decades, except for the Elitist series. The Elitist series acoustics (a J45, a J200, an EL 00, a Texan, and the Paul McCartney 1964 Texan) were made by expert luthiers in the small Terada shop. They rival if not exceed Gibson in some cases for exacting build quality, playability, and sound.

Yes, you just heard me state it. It may be rare to hear on this forum, but owners of Epiphone Elitist electric guitars ROUTINELY swear they are as good as Gibsons, as well.

Otherwise, I agree with everything Ballcorner is saying.

For Christer, I'd like to add that the Epi Hummingbird is long scale, while the Gibson, famously, is not.

Unless you really have to have a square shoulder dreadnaught that LOOKs like the Hummingbird, and if you could afford a little bit more in your budget, I would strongly recommend a Masterbilt DR500M. To my ear, the Masterbilt sounds superior to the Hummingbird.

Red 333

Given a choice between a Gibson Hummingbird and an Epi Hummingbird, well, actually for me it's not a choice at all, I'd take the Gibson in a second, *unless* the Epi simply outplayed it. Based on my experience playing various Epi Gibson-knockoffs, I would be *very* surprised if that were the case.

Generally, before even playing a note, you can feel it is an entirely different guitar. Each time I've tried one I've been pretty damn disappointed. This has generally happened in a local GC, where both the Gibson and Epi models were at hand. At a short distance, the Epis sure look like Gibsons, but once you get up close, and certainly once you pick one up and play it, you realize it's not on the same level.

I'm not trying to say that they're not good guitars or don't sound good, just that IMO, they don't compare in terms of build quality, feel, or sound, their equivalent model Gibson.

So, yeah, as TWilson's daddy said, well, you know what he said.

The Epiphone EL-00 has been made in Korea, China, and apparently most recently in Indonesia. I think mine had a made in Korea sticker on the back of the headstock. I bought it about a year and a half ago. There was also an Elite version made in Japan which was supposed to be better quality.

... Based on my experience playing various Epi Gibson-knockoffs...

Actually, as I'm sure Jayla knows, Epiphone doesn't make Gibson knockoffs per se. When Gibson bought out Epiphone in 57, it began a process of turning the Epiphone brand into the Gibson "B" line - like Martin's Sigma guitars. Obviously, the "B" line stuff is built for affordability (less expensive woods and manufacturing processes) and although Epiphones are nice guitars, their quality, will not match Gibson's, with some exceptions, especially the Elitist series as Red 333 pointed out.

Actually' date=' as I'm sure Jayla knows, Epiphone doesn't make Gibson knockoffs per se. When Gibson bought out Epiphone in 57, it began a process of turning the Epiphone brand into the Gibson "B" line - like Martin's Sigma guitars. Obviously, the "B" line stuff is built for affordability (less expensive woods and manufacturing processes) and although Epiphones are nice guitars, their quality, will not match Gibson's, with some exceptions, especially the Elitist series as Red 333 pointed out.[/quote']

You're right, BigKahune, about my describing Epis as "Gibson knock-offs" -- sloppy language on my part.

Also: I didn't wish to imply that they weren't worth the money or that no one could be happy with one. Only that I haven't, and that IMO they can't compare with their Gibson counterparts, which was what the OP had asked.

Gotta say, too, that in spite of the good reviews the Epi masterbuilts have received here and elsewhere, I have yet to play one that I would ever consider buying. I've only seen them in GCs, which could explain it (not properly cared for, old strings, etc.), but then again, my one Gibson acoustic I bought from a GC, where it sounded great...

Jayla - Have you ever played the Epi Masterbilt EF-500R or the EF-500RA ? I've been casually looking into a "beach" or "camping" guitar. They would be close to being too expensive to take out on the jetty with the potential to be washed into the drink by a sneaker wave!! I know someone on this forum has one but, once again, I forgot who! Actually, I can't remember if I ate breakfast this morning either. lol

TWilson just made the best arguement for buying the Epi, if you want a beach or camping guitar

or a guitar the kids to play and pass around the Epi is a good choice.

The Masterbuilt is another story, the ones I've seen are pretty nice and can hold their own.

Jayla - Have you ever played the Epi Masterbilt EF-500R or the EF-500RA ? I've been casually looking into a "beach" or "camping" guitar. They would be close to being too expensive to take out on the jetty with the potential to be washed into the drink by a sneaker wave!! I know someone on this forum has one but' date=' once again, I forgot who! Actually, I can't remember if I ate breakfast this morning either. lol[/quote']

In all honesty, I can't remember the models I've played, though I recall they were dreads, not OMs.

Sorry to not be more specific/helpful.

Masterbilts are all solid wood. I think you are better off getting something with laminated back and sides for a camping or beach guitar. Less affected by humidity and less likely to crack. Or get a CA Cargo. I've been wanting a Cargo but I busted my guitar budget recently.

Masterbilts are all solid wood. I think you are better off getting something with laminated back and sides for a camping or beach guitar. Less affected by humidity and less likely to crack. Or get a CA Cargo. I've been wanting a Cargo but I busted my guitar budget recently.

I think I suggested that he get an Epiphone Hummingbird - i.e., a standard Epiphone Hummingbird - as a camping guitar, not a Masterbuilt. But whatever suits your poor bi-polar *** is fine with me Jerry.

I think I suggested that he get an Epiphone Hummingbird - i.e.' date=' a standard Epiphone Hummingbird - as a camping guitar, not a Masterbuilt. But whatever suits your poor bi-polar *** is fine with me Jerry.[/quote']

Um, maybe you should read the rest of the thread before responding dude.

I've not played an Epi Hummingbird but I have played an Epi J200.

The principle is the same I think. The Epi is a great value guitar but it's not a Gibson and I'm sure this is the same with a Hummingbird comparison.

The Masterbuilt range are in a different league to the basic range and there is, quite rightly, alot of love on this Forum for them.

It's probably wrong to generalise but Epiphone is a much under-rated brand.

PS I did own an Epi SST Studio for a while and did a couple of gigs where my playing partner had a Gibson Chet Atkins. Again, the Epi was not as good as the Gibson in many ways, but for approx 10% of the price, it was incredible.

Thank all of you for your answers.

I must clarify that I have no intention to buy a Ep. Hummingbird, I was just curious cos I haven´t compared the two guitars for my self.

But I have compared my Hummingbird with numerous other guitars in the same price range and for me it is the best guitar I have ever played, hopefully it will continue to be so...

My ten pennyworth (2 cents)...

As you will see from my signature, I have two Epiphones, and frankly, I love 'em.

I agree with everyone regarding the obvious quality differences, and my take is this. To a/b a Gibson and an Epiphone is not really a fair comparison, I can do this with my J45 and AJ45 but one cost me 10% of the other one! I'd never do that with anything else and expect similar results.

To my eyes and ears (and most people's I'd imagine), the J45 is a far superior sounding, looking and playing guitar. However, stand alone - my AJ45 isn't that bad at all. But it cost me a tenth, and as everyone has said - for camping, BBQ's, the beach, wherever, it's ideal. I know the marketing guys are making "affordable replicas", but its much better to view them stand alone.

Oh, and the Sheraton is a gently purring beast.

Oh, and another thing - to many, they "look" the same... this can be an advantage when playing to ladies that can't tell the difference, and they think you have these incredibly expensive guitars.... the Hummingbird/Dove/EJ200 are excellent examples of this....(honestly, I'm not really an unscrupulous character) :-$/ =D>

Epi acoustics are just fine, especially considering they cost absolute peanuts to buy.

I would love an Epi EL00, and may well own one one day.

I like the Epi Dove, too, but it has to be borne in mind that they are good guitars, but not in the same league as their Gibson counterparts.

Gibson is the best for sound and craftsmanship / Epiphone Hummingbird is good for the price / You get what you pay for, that a fact!

I saved up money for months and months for a used Gibson Hummingbird / it was a '63' and I got it in '73' / I have never looked back / Its worth the wait for a Gibson if you have been or planning to play music for years ahead.

I'm now thinking about buying an Epiphone Mandolin just to play around the house and maybe in some Bluegrass Gigs with my Friends / I would Love a new Gibson or used but I'm retired and on limited income now and I drought I will master the mandolin so an Epiphone will be fine for me.

Gibson is #1 / It only gets better with age / not like me :-$

Have Fun and Enjoy that Guitar / God Bless - Spanish Oak, NC :-

Archived