Gibson Brands Forums

For GilliGirl: Reeltime Travelers

Rambler

Wow! How did you come across that? Did you already know about them, and Martha? I have not seen nor heard them before. Martha sounds a bit like Nanci Griffith but with an edge. I listened to the tracks on her website and she's VERY good! I might just pick up that CD. I read a few of the comments from the Reeltime Travellers video and it appears that they aren't performing anymore. That's a shame.

Anyway, THANK YOU, Jkinnama! Going back to Martha's website...... :-#

I came across the RTTs back in 02, when they were breaking out, more or less. And kind of forgot about em (being more a blues guy), until I was busy checking out LG-2s today and crossed Ms Scanlon's path again. Kind of figured you'd enjoy, so here we are. Got to say I really did enjoy the old time string band thing they were doing.

Scanlon is a comer--she's been on tour w/Amy Helm and taken the stage with Levon.

Unfortunately, they're over. The band has broken up and gone their separate ways. I saw them about 1/2 dozen times- one of my very favorite old time bands. And the one that I thought most successful in combining original material with standards- thanks to Martha- and not P*** off the old time police. (well, not too much!)

I've also seen Martha several times, and she's a genuine, wonderful person. She used to spend a lot of time in Montana, planting trees, or some such thing. (remind me of this at homecoming...there's a story.:-k .)

I'm mostly a lurker here but having recently purchased one of the LG-2 re-issues I have been dropping by more frequently. I just caught up with this thread and thought I'd add to it.

As Hoss mentioned "they're over" and unffortunately he is correct. The Reeltime travelers were a good stringband and excelled in putting a new twist to old material. Martha is currently touring as a singer/songwriter and sometimes accompanied by other musicians. I ran into her a couple weeks ago and swapped a few stories and talked Gibsons. As jkinnama pointed out her guitar of choice is a script logo LG-2. I believe she said it was a '43 or maybe a '46 but it had been refinished and non-original tuners installed. But it still sounded awesome in her hands. I also noticed she had a soundhole pickup on it....I'm not sure what kind.

Her new CD "The West Was Burning" isn't Reeltime Travelers material. Although it has one oldtime track, the majority of the CD has a country and western flavor....pedal steel and all. But it is uniquely Martha and in my opinion quite good. Here she is at Merlefest with her LG-2. She is joined by Trevor an Travis Stuart, well respected oldtime musicians from the North Carolina mountains.

IMGP0472.jpg

Archived