Gibson Brands Forums

Bigsby Rocker Bridge For Archtop

Mark Lee

As you guys might know, I have been modifying my Epiphone Emperor Regent into my ideal archtop, an exelent acoustic and rockabilly archtop. I was wondering if putting an aluminium Bigsby Rocker Bridge on it would lead to intonation problems, because I don't use a bigsby vibrato and I intent to keep the Frequensator tailpiece. isnt the saddle moveable? I don't want to use a TOM style bridge, because, quite frankly, they are ugly. any other suggestions for turning it into a rockabilly / acoustic axe? I am considering installing a Kent Armstrong single coil in the bridge position and keeping the oringinal Johnny Smith Mini Humbucker in the neck position. Or should I replace the Johnny Smith and go with two KA single coil floaters? I am going for a sound close to Scotty Moore in Mystery Train or Thats All Right Mama.

• 2 weeks later...
I was wondering if putting an aluminium Bigsby Rocker Bridge on it would lead to intonation problems, because I don't use a bigsby vibrato and I intent to keep the Frequensator tailpiece

What gauge Strings do you use?

An Aluminum Rocker Bridge is designed for a a set of .013"s with a wound "G"

If you put rock & Roll strings on - the G will be "off"

I am going for a sound close to Scotty Moore in Mystery Train or Thats All Right Mama.

Of course Scotty played one of these:

ES-295

es295.jpg

http://www.scottymoore.net/53ES295.html

Scotty typically set his up with a Melita SYNCHROSONIC Bridge:

http://cgi.ebay.com/GRETSCH-SYNCHROSONIC-MELITA-BRIDGE-CHROME-6120-DUO-JET_W0QQitemZ360151948945QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090502?IMSfp=TL090502119002r464

• 4 months later...

I use a custom set of 15 - 60 gauge with a wound G.

elantric, FYI, Rock and Roll string traditionaly do have a wound G. Scotty only played the ES 295 /275 for a few years. His favourites have always been the L5 style 17 inch single cutaway guitars, although for a while he prefered the woodier tone of the Super 400 CES. his current axe is a thineline maple laminate L5 style guitar with humbucker sized P90s

Archived