Gibson Brands Forums

ES-345 Dating

Based on that serial number' date=' your guitar dates to 1963.[/quote']

It is seldom as easy to date Gibson guitars as just running the serial number, especially the six digit numbers from the 60's/70's. Plus the fact that many of the on-line sites are just plain wrong. I've seen a lot of rediculously inaccurate information from the guitar dater project site in particular that many people seem to think is the bible of Gibson guitar dating.

To accurately date older, or vintage Gibsons, it takes research and knowlege of many aspects of the details of Gibson's guitars, and in many cases it takes comparisons of multiple published sources to narrow it down. Some older Gibsons can never be accurately dated except to within an few years.

You are absolutely right Larry. My mistake in assuming that since the question was in the Vintage Gibsons section, the guitar was actually vintage. That number does date from several sources to 63, and in the absence of other info, that's all I had to go on.

The "Made in USA" stamp, wider headstock, and purple/white label would throw it into the 70s for sure. Tom Hollyer was correct in that the serial number COULD translate to 1963 but the other attributes of the guitar puts it after 1970. The 100000 series was used from 1970-75 also. Like L5Larry pointed out, the online services can be used as a guide but not gospel.

So it could be anywhere from a '70 to '75. If it were my guitar I would be peeking at the pots with an inspection mirror, looking for codes, which of course only works if they're original, and will only serve as a guide even then. If the pots are dated the 51st week of 1973, I'd call it a '74. If they were dated the 3rd week of 1971, I'd call it a '71. It's largely a judgement call at that point.

This is as close as Eye can get

Your guitar was made at the

Kalamazoo or Nashville Plant , USA

approximately in: 1970, 1971 or 1972

Eye have a deluxe from the same time period and eye can't pin it down for that is the early Norlan years and they weren't to good about their S# than.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived