Gibson Brands Forums

Acoustic amp question...

Jinder

What do y'all who use acoustic amps play?

I am thinking of getting my mitts on a Marshall AS100D to use for small gigs-it has a vocal mic channel and a couple of guitar channels, and sounds pretty tasty in my experience.

It looks a viable alternative to lugging a big ol' PA into a restaurant or folk club gig and having it turned up to "2" all night long.

Any thoughts on this?

I would like an AER Acousticube but I can't afford one alas, and the Marshall seems to be the next best thing for very much less money.

I tried the Fishman Loudbox too, but it sounded kinda quacky and clunky to my ears...I like the dynamic and depth of the AS100D better.

Hey Jinder...

My main acoustic amp is a Genz Benz Shenendoah 200 watt stereo amp with 2 inputs each for vocal and mics. It is a great sounding amp with plenty of headroom for almost any size venue I would play. I think of it as a small PA system. I like that it has adjustable tweeters or you can even turn just the tweeters off if you want. I used to have an UltraSound amp that sounded awesome but since I had the Genz Benz also, I traded it away with a guitar for something different. I still kick myself for that since it weighed only about 30 lbs and my Genz Benz weighs over 70 lbs!

That said, lately I find myself turning on my Peavey Delta Blues tube amp with it's 15" speaker and letting it warm up for a bit and then playing my acoustics through it at home. I replaced the stock tubes with JJ's and added a tube tamer from Ebay so the big tubes wouldn't rattle at low volume. I really am enjoying the tone, especially my AJ when playing through that particular amp at home. I haven't tried it at loud volume yet and it's likely I would prefer the Genz Benz when cranked for acoustics... (By the way, the Delta Blues amps actually go to 12! That's 2 better than 10!!!) #-o

Here are a couple photos of the Genz Benz....

04-19-09MusicRoom.jpg

gb2001.jpg

gb2002.jpg

gb2006.jpg

I am still partial to the Fender Acoustasonic 30 DSP. Though it is small wattage compared to others, the sound and effects are IMO best all around. The small size makes it easy for lugging into venues where you are usually setting up in a corner or something. I have owned the Marshall AS100D but just like the acoustisonic. I think it is one of those whatever sounds best to you things.

I use a 100 watt Trace Acoustic. My signal chain is guitar--tuner--sansamp di--amp. It's two channel that's fairly useful. If I use the second channel for vocal I usually run the mic into a TC Helicon Vocal create pedal first.

Fred

I'm liking my Fender Acoustasonic Jr DSP Acoustic Amp pretty well. I run a Parametric DI with it to help out my LR Baggs Dual Source pickup, and it's everything I could want for a small club setting. Simple, easy to use, and doesn't cost an arm and leg, either. But then again, I'm easily amused. LOL!

I did a lot of research on acoustic amps and I needed an amp that I could use for gigs that was strong in watts and light in weight / I got a Genz Benz Shenandoah 150 LT / It had enough watts for any gig in side or outside, churches, theaters, etc. and it was only 26 pounds. / It has hook up for two instruments and two mics. It has several different voices to change to. A great amp that I'm very happy with. It is 100 watts and will pump up to 150 watts with ext. speaker, which I don't need / I have to use a wheelchair and I can handle my equipment on a four wheel cart with no problem.

Check out Genz Benz on U-tube or genzbenz.com

Have a good day / God Bless - Spanish Oak, NC

I have a Marshall AS50 and it's a great little amp and good value too. If you want to use it for anything other than a small pub for example, you'll run out of headroom pretty quickly with the 50W, so I'd say definitely go for the 100W. The extra channels will also be useful if you are duetting with no second amp - you can't really do that with the 50W.

Hey Jinder

I use a Peavey Ecoustic 112 which I find superb! Doesn't seem to colour the sound at all, has guitar channel and vocal channel, decent eq and notch filter for zapping feedback. Have had it for years (since late 90s) and it's never let me down and at 100watts it copes with a fair sized pub with a few people in it. Oh, and it's brown (think that makes it more acoustic!).

I have played a few times through a AS-50D and have liked the tone and I think if I were getting a new one now I'd go for the 100w Marshall as they are quite a bit cheaper than the new Peaveys. Have you looked at the Fishman Soloamps or is that more than you wanted to spend?

Matt

I have a Marshall AS50R that I bought off Craigslist for $200 and have been very pleased with it. It's an earlier version of the AS50D with reflex chorus and reverb.

My characteristic is to make a project out of every purchase more than $50 so I'd previously plugged into amps from Crate, Fender, Fishman, etc....as well as LR Baggs.

The LR Baggs Reference Amp was hands down the best, cleanest most true sounding one I listened to. Unfortunately, the LRB was much more expensive than I need for home use so I continued looking.

Of others I listened to, I preferred the Fishman Performer -even over their Loudbox and more expensive SoloAmp offering . In fact I'd just about decided to buy a Fishman Performer when I noticed the Marshal AS50D. Maybe it's the vintage look, but I almost didn't even bother to listen to it. I'm glad I did becase I was very surprised at the full clear tone -it was also a lot less expensive, so the AS50R version now sits on a bookshelf of my office wall unit looking much more dignified than any of those other sleek modern black boxy looking ones would. :)

Since purchasing the AS50R version, I've had the chance to directly compare it against the LR Baggs. I was surprised to find the AS50R and LRB Reference Amp side by side at Elderly Instruments, so I plugged in. The Marshall sounded pretty good by comparison, though I'm pretty sure the LRB will fill a much bigger room when needed.

I'm sure you'll be pleased with the AS100D. But if you haven't already, have a listen to the LR Baggs and Fishman Performer.

Hi Jinder,

The AS100D is beautifully put-together, produces a very true sound and is very versatile with its multiple channels, feedback-reducing circuitry, built-in effects, external effects loop, XLR DI outs for connecting to larger systems, etc. All for less than 300 of the Queen's English Pounds brand new if you scout around :-

I have one but don't have experience of other acoustic amps aside from a little shop playing. This amp does it all for me. One downside - it's heavy and it's only got one handle...

The Schertler Unico I have is a great 185W box if you need really natural sound, fits on top of a speaker stand, but for less money you can get an SR Jam 150 which I believe are made in the same factory in Italy and are effectively a mini PA and by all accounts sound great too.

If you only need an acoustic solution that is light on price and weight, I got one of these and was blown away....great tone for the size and even great for electric with an amp sim in front. Straight up one channel tho, with no fx, pure, simple, great.

http://www.philjonespuresound.com/PJWeb11_AG100.aspx

Thanks for all your advice!

I think the Marshall AS100D is probably what I'll go for, but I need to give it a decent test run first.

I'll swing by my local axe emporium sometime soon with guitar and mic and report back :-)

Any reports on how vocals sound through one of these?

Archived