Gibson Brands Forums

Robot SG

led floyd9

I guess it's official now. If you guys haven't seen it yet (I hope it's not old news) you can find it here. Well, what do you guys think? I hope that the Green Metallic finish looks better than the Purple Metallic. And the Neutrik Jack looks interesting. The carbon fiber pickguard looks weird, but like I said before, the green metallic finish may look better with the carbon fiber pickguard.

I actually think that the finish is pretty nice... Purple guitars look great :-&

I can't seem to figure out what a "Neutrik jack" is' date=' though... :-k [/quote']

A neutrik jack is a type of input jack. On this SG, it's on the side of the guitar, like on the 80's models.

A neutrik jack is a type of input jack. On this SG' date=' it's on the side of the guitar, like on the 80's models.[/quote']

Ah, I see, thanks. Too bad one doesn't have over three grand lying around...

I don't think the purple is all that bad - hey it's almost Easter so purple is appropriate. I think a burst would have been better though. My first thought was that if I were modding an SG to make it a better instrument, putting more weight out on the headstock would not be high on my list of desirable mods! Oh well, maybe the weight of the additional electronics in the body provides a suitable counterweight.

I don't think the purple is all that bad - hey it's almost Easter so purple is appropriate. I think a burst would have been better though. My first thought was that if I were modding an SG to make it a better instrument' date=' putting more weight out on the headstock would not be high on my list of desirable mods! Oh well, maybe the weight of the additional electronics in the body provides a suitable counterweight. [/quote']

Yeah, I know what you mean, we don't need any more weight on the headstock or neck of the SG, considering if you let go of a normal SG, the neck falls to the ground at like 100 mph. Hopefully the extra stuff you need routed in the body will be a counterweight, like you said.

Yeah, I know what you mean, we don't need any more weight on the headstock or neck of the SG, considering if you let go of a normal SG, the neck falls to the ground at like 100 mph.

Yeah, before I got one I thought the guys playing them straight up and down or pointed out from their bodies where just trying to look cool. After owning one, I'm convinced they had just found the most comfortable way to play.

BTW, it looks like there's another LP version too - also in purple. MF was taking reservations for both of them but no price listed.

MF and GC are the same company (and I think so is Music123). Having owned a retail business (bicycles not guitars) I'd guess GCs's prices are higher because you're more likely to impulse buy something you're holding in your hands. So GC charges more because you can see the guitar and hold it. MF counts on low prices.

I think the Robot Guitar is a nice idea but since I don't need to change tunings every other song I'm still kind of on the fence about it. The purple metalic finish is OK but where is the deep blue finish they ues on the Les Paul in the video??

OBTW' date=' MF is listing one of the features as a "chambering".[/quote']

CHAMBERING???????????? Okay, as we speak, SG's are only like 5 lbs. (I've never weighed mine, so I'm just guessing) and the neck is heavier than the body. So now they're making the body even LIGHTER and the neck even HEAVIER???? Heck, with these guitars they're either going to need to get rid of the chambering, or get rid of the warranty on this guitar.

After thinking about it,it could be MF just copied the description from from the LP, it wouldn't be the first time something was poorly described. The other possiblility is that may the SG robot body has to be thicker to hold the electronics? Iit's hard to figure that they'd add weight to the headstock and reduce the body weight.

Archived