Gibson Brands Forums

'66 Dove with a Tune-A-Matic Bridge... help!

Eddie Rondack

Looking for some direction here... I know that this plastic and metal monstrosity of a bridge is robbing the volume and quality of sound from my '66 Dove. Anybody have ideas about replacements that don't require modification to the guitar? What about the adjustable rosewood or ceramic saddles I've seen on other 60's Gibsons? Are they a direct replacement and, if so, where might I find one?

Thanks so much!

I, too, have toyed with the idea of swapping out my adjustable saddle bridge on my 1970 Dove. The Dove has such a distinctive bridge (with the bird inlays), that I didn't want to put in a generic belly. I am curous if there are any options to tkae the hardware out and keep the existing bridge.

Anyone have any thoughts?

I had my guy replace my '66 Dove's tune-a-matic monstrosity with a rosewood insert and bone saddle. It was done in such a way as to be reversable, but I can't envision a scenario that would call for it, at least in my own lifetime. The improvement in tone and volume was remarkable.

dovebridge.jpg

David

Eddie (aka Kohara, am I right?), how is that prewar Rosie '200 sounding? Also, is the Dove a new addition to the clan? How are you finding it? I played a '60s RI Dove in Manhattan a couple of years back that had the Tuneomatic, but was lovely nonetheless.

David515, that is very cool... I don't envision ever going back to the Tuneamatic either, but I just don't want to permanently change the guitar... gives me the heebie jeebies... who did that for you?

Jinder, I have the Western Classic and it is wonderful... big sound without being too loud, unbelievable tone and it's absolutely a work of art... I'm planning on posting pictures soon...

The '66 Dove is my dad's, it's kind of the guitar I played through high school and college (along with an old Yamaha FG-160), when I was still living at home. He's not playing very much now. It's very cool, but not my favorite from a tone/playability standpoint... there's the bridge issue and it also has that very narrow Les Paul neck that they put on them for a while.

I would, however, very much like to unleash the tone that I know is hiding in there somewhere...

Archived