Gibson Brands Forums

Stand Up and Shout!

RichCI

if your circle stays unbroken your a very lucky man, cause it never never never has for me. In the palace of the virgin lies the chalice of your soul and possible you may find your answer there.

Hope I got that right. from memory not the internet.

Not to go too much off topic, but the metal tone that we hear in this vid sounds great for the power chords and the fuller tones, but the higher pitches of the leads just seem to fall flat. They actually seem rather anaemic in comparison to the overall tone.

Do you think that's the tone they are going for, as far as the leads? Or is that just an unfortunate side affect of the settings they use.

I know that the equipment is capable of producing some really blistering lead tones, so I don't understand why these bands go for that flat tone on the leads.

Can anyone explain?

Well, it looks like he's using some sort of single channel Marshall heads so, outside of pedals, there really aren't any options for a lead boost outside of pedals or starting out with your guitar's volume backed off when you're cranked up like that. At least, I didn't notice him going for any pedals for the lead. My guess is that he got his rhythm tone down with his guitar's volume turned down a bit then cranked it up for the lead which would certainly explain his tone getting brighter - which isn't necessarily a bad thing for metal as you really need to cut through against all the cymbals and sometimes another guitar player. Personally, I liked his lead tone; what you find anemic I find biting.

Was that Howie Mandel introducing them?

I saw Dio on that tour, and if I recall, Vivian played some neon guitar for part of the show :-k

Correction: That was the Holy Diver tour. I saw the Last In Line Tour :P

Archived