Gibson Brands Forums

Help with key/chords/tuning of song

Gilliangirl

Okay, here's the video. It's David Allan Coe, and it's not for the faint of heart. If you get past the sparkly silver boots at 0:25, let me know what key you think he's playing that song in. The best I can figure is that he's doing it in Eb. But, the shapes he's using would suggest that he's got the guitar tuned a half-step higher than standard tuning?? I thought that was a big no-no?

Am I way off here?

I agree. Lightnin' Hopkins often tuned a half step or more higher as well. Anyways when I play along with the video in standard tuning I've got to go a half step higher (more-or-less) to sound in tune with the video. Whether or not it's a no-no to tune a half step higher or more is up to the guitar owner.

Pic

Thanks Jerry and Dave! I thought I was losing my marbles there for a minute. That puts a whole lot of tension on the guitar, doesn't it? I've always heard that's a no-no...... use a capo instead. But, he can afford to ruin guitars, I guess!

I've always heard that's a no-no......

Depends GG-- how thick a string he's using' date=' whether or not he keeps it there, or not.

Oth, he could be doing that to [i']suit his voice[/i]. I read a good quote from Raul Rishell, about him finding

out how old country blues players would tune the box to suit their singing voice, not adapt the voice to the guitar,

point being that the singing was the priority for them, and, maybe DAC too.

Paul Rishell, pickin':

Home page: http://www.paulandannie.com/content/

The quote was from Tipaldi, Children of the Blues http://www.amazon.com/Children-Blues-Musicians-Generation-Tradition/dp/0879307005/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1242267530&sr=8-3

Depends GG-- how thick a string he's using' date=' whether or not he keeps it there, or not.

Oth, he could be doing that to [i']suit his voice[/i]. I read a good quote from Raul Rishell, about him finding

out how old country blues players would tune the box to suit their singing voice, not adapt the voice to the guitar,

point being that the singing was the priority for them, and, maybe DAC too.

Paul Rishell, pickin':

Home page: http://www.paulandannie.com/content/

The quote was from Tipaldi, Children of the Blues http://www.amazon.com/Children-Blues-Musicians-Generation-Tradition/dp/0879307005/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1242267530&sr=8-3

I suppose if they're light strings and it's not left that way for long.... but why wouldn't he just stick the capo on the first fret?

I like that clip of Paul Rishell, Jkinnama! I haven't heard of him before. I'll have to check out more of his stuff. Thank you!

It might also be that the clip was sped up a half step. I know that was done intentionally on some artists songs in the studio to add a bit of energy. Or it could have been sped up unintentionally. That's just my opinion.

Sometimes, GG, when a song is played back, the speed is a bit off and it changes the apparent key. Remember back in the days of 33.333333 and 45 RPM records? There's a reason for those two speeds. You could slow a 45 down to 33.33333 and not change the key. Not sure of the science behind it, but it was there.

I have one CD player, that is nearly new and, apparently, in good working order, but on play back, it plays just enough slower that it drops the key a half step. All other CD players in the house are essentially the same, a half step higher. Go figure. =D>

Same could be happening with any YouTube offering.

Okay, I've unravelled the mystery. It appears that every song on the Heartworn Highways video (which is where this clip is from) has been sped up a half-step! I've checked 5 of the songs, compared them to the CD soundtrack, and the video documentary songs are all a half-step higher. So, Joestone, you were right. Well, we were all right in some regard.

Tommy, I've noticed that same phenomenon with a few older Emmylou Harris songs. The are recorded in between steps. They are literally a bit too sharp for a G#, but too flat for an A, for instance. Must be recording studio tricks, etc.

Larry, that looks like Warren Haynes to me. The guy just doesn't seem to age!

Could be the studio GG. If the selection of songs don't quite fit a standard CD, speeding them all up a tad, will allow you to get them all in and who's to know but a guit tar picker from Calgary?

Back in the day we had a radio station that bosted 63 minutes of music every hour. Their engineer speeded up their record player just enough that they were able to achieve this AND get in commercials.

When I realized that my on CD player was playing slow, I was working on a Beatles song... "I'm Only Sleeping," I think, for music lessons. When I practiced at home, I'd tune the guit tar down to where it played at home, then when I played it on a different player at the lesson, the fingerings didn't change.

Years ago, I bought a cassette deck with a pitch control. It was tiresome haveing to retune my guitar every 2-3 songs when playing along with a record. I would record to cassette, and then "correct" the pitch.When I had figured out that trick...I was very happy. I always figured the tuneing discrepency was due to origional recordings done in different Studios...or a studio trick...or my turntable speed slightly varied.

Archived