Gibson Brands Forums

Odd Guitar

Andre S

I was watching Monk, the episode Mr. Monk Goes To A Rock Concert. They went backstage after they found a high D string. Backstage he talked to a guitarist who had a very odd guitar. Here's a description:

It was 12 string, vintage sunburst, it was thin as a Les Paul, It had a cherryish back and two access panels like a Les Paul. I think it said Gibson at the top, an inlay , with an Epiphone Strap and it had a tailpiece similar to an es 330 and heres the odd thing, it had f-holes and either a florentine cut away or a regular LP shaped cutaway, with silver kidney shaped tuners,

If you know which guitar this was please reply, thanks

It sounds like some sort of thinline semi- in a 12-string version : something like an ES 125 TDC. This had the same body-shape as a Venetian cut-away LP would have had and was 1 3/4 inches thick. It also had the f-holes (of course) and, at least as far as the early '56 models went, a trapeze tailpiece.

Imagine a 12-string one of these...

ES-125TDCS.jpg

The only flies in this ointment are the access panels; whether they were fitted originally (doubtful) or whether they could have been added afterwards by an owner who required easier access to the electrics than would have been possible otherwise.

My best guess....

I've just remembered having seen an LP (body)-sized semi-acoustic but I don't think it was made by Gibson.

I've done a search but found nothing so far.

I'll keep trying, though!

Archived